Smelly

by Meghann on August 18, 2010

Sometimes I think it’s a good thing I don’t have roommates – or that I eat my lunch at home – because boy do I love smelly food!

Smelly cheeses, smelly veggies, smelly seafood – I love it all!

Especially smelly fishies!

IMG_5621

I channeled my inner Kath at Whole Foods last night and decided to pick up some smoked herring for lunch today.

IMG_5623

I made a smelly fishy salad by adding tomato, pickles, quiona, honey mustard, and plain yogurt to the herring.

IMG_5628

Then served it on a bed of baby spinach with wasa crackers and carrots.

IMG_5637

Take a good whiff – it’s good. 😉

IMG_5641

I think the only thing that was missing was smelly cheese.

IMG_5630

😉

A pluot was enjoyed earlier as a mid-morning snack.

IMG_5620

How adventurous of an eater are you? Do you enjoy the smelly things in life? Or do you prefer to keep it bland and tame?

1 Sana August 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Bahahaha it really depends on if I can handle smelly things or not. However I usually smell like a smelly thing and I handle that very well!

2 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] August 18, 2010 at 3:02 pm

The boyfriend LOVES fish in a can… 😛 I haven’t had any, but canned salmon is high in Omega-3s! 🙂 Good for you, except for the canned part.

3 Megan @ The Daily Sweat August 18, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Ever since I first saw herring and sardines on kath’s blog, I’ve wanted to try them. Plus I think sardines have a lot of iron in them – yay! Your salad looks yummy, will have to try soon.

4 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Sardines are worse than kipper. That was my lunch today. My poor coworkers :/

5 Tina August 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I like smelly cheeses and don’t mind trying things once. But I don’t do fish (besides in sushi). Smelly fish grosses me even more.

6 Molly August 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I consider myself adventurous so I may just have to try this! maybe. I’ll let ya know if it works out 🙂

xo-Molly

7 lowandbhold August 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I really can’t do canned fish, but I wish I could because it’s so healthy.

8 Jill August 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I love sardines!!! I’m glad there are more people around who love the stinky foods. Power on canned fish lovers!

9 Monica C. August 18, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I do not like sardines or herring. I am probably the least adventurous eater in the world. 🙁 I read your blog in sheer awe of many of the things you eat. Just to give you an idea of how far apart we are: I don’t even like yogurt. But, for as much as I cringe at some of your meals, I definitely learn from you! Keep doing what you’re doing! 🙂

10 Hannah August 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I love sardines!!! And smelly cheese! I’m a very adventurous eater and get really excited when I can get other people to try new foods, especially when they’re healthy!

11 Laura August 18, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I’m not super-adventurous, but I’ll try a lot of things. I tried canned sardines, and I wasn’t crazy about them, but my mom and aunt grew up eating them over rice with soy sauce and grated daikon, so I may try it again that way.

12 britchickruns August 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I’m definetly one for the smells!! I love unusual food – the more so the better 🙂

13 melissa August 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I wouldn’t say bland and tame, but I do take super spicy over smelly

14 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I’ve had tripe one time……and only one time!

15 Sarah August 18, 2010 at 3:42 pm

i’m sorry but i just can’t do fish in a can. i’m only recently able to tolerate tuna…

16 DiningAndDishing August 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I am a big fan of smelly foods! The more it smells, the better it tastes I think :).

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

17 amanda August 18, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I’ll try anything once! I have a friend who is so picky she would not even eat a flippin baby potato because it reminded her of an egg!!!! omg! the only mexican food she will eat is taquitos and the only fruit is strawberries! Missin out on everything

18 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) August 18, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I don’t know how much smelliness in foods I can do. My husband LOVES stinky blue cheese, but I just can’t do it.

19 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I really can’t stomach any canned fish other than tuna (and that took a long time to accomplish!) I’m a total whimp. I have friends that pick up a fish and chomp on it right out of a can. I wish I could magically start loving stuff like this because I know it’s super healthy but…..nope, can’t do it!

20 Katie August 18, 2010 at 4:02 pm

this looks so yum!!

Everytime I cook fish at home, my son always makes comments, lol! He doesnt like the smell of fish!

21 NYCRunnerGirl August 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Haha, when I saw the title of this post I immediately thought of an experience I had today. I had just gotten back from a run, and I made lunch before showering. The owner of my apartment then swung by to check out some damage (LONG story), and immediately said it smelled good in my apartment! However, as soon as I heard the words “It smells..” coming out of her mouth, I was sure she was referring to my stinky post-run smell!

22 Michelle August 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I can enjoy the smelly things…but I can’t stand if my entire home smells like a combination of really smelly things for a really long time. It gives me headaches!

23 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I don’t mind the smells of any foods besides mushrooms- so gross! But I definitely like my canned fish too. I was always that girl with the smelly tuna sandwich in elementary school!

24 Faith August 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I’m an extremely adventurous eater (I like to think that there’s nothing I won’t try once), but I am very scent-sensitive, so I try not to whiff whatever I’m about to scarf if I have the feeling it’s going to be odd!

25 Sarah@SeaEatsArt August 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm

HAHAHA, your post made me smile and laugh too! I feel like there is nothing that i don’t want to not like (a lot of negatives, I hope you got that 🙂 but as I was saying, I really have got to try out this super fish! I have been reading so much about it!

26 LiveForTheRun August 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Are you becoming the smelly kid in class? My mom makes tuna at work and freaks out, I should share this with her, lol.

Pluot – looks like a spotty little plum. Poor thing.

27 modernation August 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Haha – I channeled my inner Kath at Trader Joe’s yesterday, too. I picked up the smoked herring, but then swapped it for the smoked trout – still smelly, though. I am looking forward to trying it. I am a very adventurous eater thanks to my parents. I grew up eating all sorts of weird things like tongue and tripe. Nothing is weird when you are 5 and your parents put your plate in front of you – you just eat!

28 christina cadden August 18, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I am not sure if I have ever had Kipper. It looks good though!

29 biz319 August 18, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Please keep your stinky fish – but I’ll take stinky cheese any day!

30 Lisa August 18, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I can’t say I’m a fan of sardines…I do like indian food though and that can have a strong aroma!

31 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 18, 2010 at 6:06 pm

haha I am NOT GAME at all when it comes to smelly seafoods! Stinky French cheese on the other hand…..

32 reshapeyourlife August 18, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I used to be a really picky eater, but as I’ve gotten older I’m becoming more adventurous. I’m at a point now where I’ll try anything once… Maybe even twice. lol I might have to try fish in a can now. Between you and Kath-I think I’m convinced.

33 runningwithsass August 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I am unfortunately pretty bland of an eater

34 shelly@campinggirlchronicals August 18, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I love smelly food but my husband doesn’t, on his nights out the house gets really stinky!

35 Lauren August 18, 2010 at 7:59 pm

The smellier the better, especially when it comes to cheese. I do have to remember to avoid cooking brussle sprouts or broccoli when I have guests coming over. Like last week, I cooked roasted brussle sprouts with dinner and an hour later, we had a house showing. I am sure the house smelled like, well you know! 😉

36 critterblogs August 18, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Not a fan of sardines or anchovies. However, I do like kimchi with Korean food!

37 BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Haha… I do love canned tuna or salmon… but not sure I can do the sardines! 🙂

38 Emilyeatsclean August 18, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Hmmm I don’t know about that fish in a can. But then again I did eat chicken out of a can today, so maybe.

39 Kath August 18, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

40 It All Changes August 18, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Most European food I ate as a kid was smelly and delicious. My American friends didn’t understand when I came back to the US and still ate it.

Stinky cheese is the best!

41 Cee August 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I’m a pretty adventurous eater. I’m a huge dork and pretend I’m on the Amazing Race while traveling – and try any and all of the local eats (from fried crickets and silkworms in the nightmarkets of Beijing to blood tofu and headcheese).

That said – can’t do canned herring or sardines. The smell 😡

42 Lee August 19, 2010 at 9:02 am

I’m kind of medium adventurous.

I went to high school with a guy named Kipper.

43 barelabeezy August 19, 2010 at 5:16 pm

this post hits so close to home! I have two roommates who were not amused by my sardine salad with crackers feast that I prepared the other night for dinner. I thought it was amazing so did our dog Roger 🙂 Oh well, their loss.

44 Pearl Lee August 19, 2010 at 7:53 pm