I Want a Burger

by Meghann on August 17, 2010

Do you ever have those moments when you think to yourself – man, I want a burger?

Those were my feelings last night when I purchased a random box of Morning Star Black Bean Burger patties. I very rarely purchase ‘fake’ burger patties because I know I can just as easily make my own bean version at home, but the idea of a quick, already made meal was to tempting to pass up. I’ve been going non-stop lately, having one less thing to worry about makes me happy. 🙂

IMG_5551

During my lunch break I microwaved one of the patties, topped it with roasted red peppers, spinach and honey mustard, and served it on an Arnold’s Thin Bun. <— Thank to the generous Arnold’s people at the summit I probably have enough coupons to keep be stocked on bread and buns for years.

IMG_5555

For a frozen burger it wasn’t bad. In fact, I would actually say it was pretty good. I loved how it had whole pieces of beans and corn in it. 🙂

IMG_5549

With the burger I had some carrot sticks (only ate half and put the rest in the fridge)

IMG_5541

And blue corn chips with salsa.

IMG_5543

IMG_5538

Dessert was a chocolate truffle treat I had saved from the Tastebuds Tour on Saturday.

IMG_5559

Oh man, these babies were rich. But, rich in a good way, not in an OMG after one bite I’m done sort of way. I could have easily ate 3 or 4 more. 😉

IMG_5560

Earlier I had a little bag Mary’s Gone Crackers that came in my Healthy Living Summit swag bag.

IMG_5533

I love how hearty this crackers are. They remind me of rye bread, a really dense, crunchy hearty bread.

Derek’s Run for MS

In honor of Derek’s running the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon in October for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, I wanted to share a story Katie sent me regarding her own brush with MS.

I think what Derek is doing is great! I have such respect and am so grateful for those that play their part in the fight against MS.

My mom was diagnosed with MS about 15 years ago. Having seen the devastating effects of this disease first-hand makes this a very personal issue for me. But watching my mom fight against it? The most empowering thing I’ve ever witnessed. Her neurologist told her that she was on track to be in a wheelchair full-time by my high school graduation. Six years later, she’s still able to walk short distances despite the lower-body numbness and extreme fatigue she experiences. The doctor attributes her success to her “fiercely independent” nature, one of the traits I’m glad to say I’ve learned from her 🙂

Katie’s mom is a fighter and I think we can learn a thing or two from her. It’s really amazing from a fighting attitude can do for you. 🙂

Please help support Katie’s mom by donating to Derek’s MS fund raising page here. He’s about $400 short of his goal and every dollar helps!!

1 britchickruns August 17, 2010 at 2:29 pm

MS is such a horrible disease 🙁 I had a friend who’s mum had it 🙁
Awesome lunch! Those Arnold Thins were sooo good – I wish they had them in England!

2 Molly August 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I ALWAYS have the “I want a burger” craving. I really need to start ordering more at restaurants or something. Your meal looks fabulous as always 🙂
Awesome job to Derek in the endeavor he is taking on! Running for a cause is fabulous 🙂

Happy Tuesday!

xo-Molly

3 BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

My mother-in-law has MS… so I know what it’s like and really think it’s awesome of Derek to be doing this!

I actually have been craving a burger myself today! 🙂

4 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) August 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Those Mary’s crackers were one of my favorite things in the swag bags. I love them so much!

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Not really, actually.
That pretty much never happens.

6 Kelly August 17, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Ooh burger cravings are a hard one for me to ignore. Sooo yummy!

7 Nicole August 17, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I hadn’t really thought about a burger… But now that you mentioned it the idea sounds good:)

8 Maggie August 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I definitely crave a good burger sometimes. I think it’s good to give in to cravings every once in a while though – it makes you less likely to overdo it when you’re not expecting to!

Good luck Derek!!

9 Tina August 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I love Morningstar Farms burgers of all varieties. I try to limit my consumption of them but they sure are perfect for times where you can’t cook (or have the patience to wait for) a fresh one.

10 Nicole - yuppie yogini August 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

MS can be such an awful illness. I had a client with MS and learned how it interferes with so many aspects of life.

11 Dorry August 17, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Your lunch looks perfect! I am still going through some swag from HLS and those Mary’s Crackers were some of my favorites. Yum.

So awesome what Derek is doing – y’all are a precious, supportive couple.

12 Matt August 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Great lunch! I have a grass fed burger thawing in the fridge for tonight 🙂

13 runningwithsass August 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm

lol. I love a good burger.
so sad about katie’s mom, such a terrible disease

14 suki August 17, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I was munching on those Mary’s Crackers when I was standing in line with you all for lunch on Saturday!

15 thewhatkateateblog August 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I think burgers are one of the best foods out there! As far as the Arnold coupons I think were going to have to start getting creative with what we can do with sandwich thins!

16 LiveForTheRun August 17, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Running/walking for causes is amazing. I am helping my friend raise money for the Lymphoma society, so touching to hear everyone’s stories.

17 Sarah August 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I have the “I want a burger often” thought and hate to pass it up while grilling season is still in full effect. When you cook your bean patties, do you ever grill them or typically use a pan?

18 Brooke [onehealthycookie] August 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I LIVED off of Morning Star Black Bean Veggie Burgers in college! They’re pretty good.

19 Paige (RAN) August 17, 2010 at 4:01 pm

First off, it was great meeting you this weekend! HLS was such a blast!
Secondly, I think it’s so great Derek is running for MS. I have a client with MS and I see her struggles and she is such an inspiration to me! I’ll have to email you some more details to share with him soon 🙂 Have a good rest of your day!

20 Krystina August 17, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Funny enough, I have a burger craving today as well.

21 NYCRunnerGirl August 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Every once in awhile, I really crave a great burger. Your black bean burgers always look really yummy, I”m going to have to try them myself one of these days!

22 Alycia [Fit n Fresh] August 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I loveeee morningstar burgers! They are seriously good – the mushroom one is my fav though. And Katie’s story is very touching, what Derek is doing is totally awesome 🙂

23 Heather C August 17, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Totally a sucker for those Morningstar patties when the process of cooking is not gonna happen, they *are* pretty tasty! fave: mozzarella flavor!

24 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm

ahhh yes – I know the ‘burger’ craving all too well! I am addicted to homemade chickpea burgers at the moment . YUM!!!

25 Katie G. August 17, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I am not a burger fan, however I am in LOVE with the Morning Star Black Bean Burgers! When my bf wants to grill out, or when friends come over, he puts a black bean burger on the grill for me (I haven’t tried it microwaved yet) It is SO yummy hot off the coals and has a bit of that chargrilled taste that smells so yummy when real burgers are cooking! I have topped it off with spinach, feta, and hot sauce and am in HEAVEN!! Yum yum!

26 Emilyeatsclean August 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I figured out recently that Morningstar patties are soooo much better on the grill…YUM! I woke up craving a PB&J sandwich this morning! 🙂

27 Sarah August 17, 2010 at 5:39 pm

i had the burger craving last tuesday! and my husband was nice enough to let me indulge (i.e. he was thrilled!)

28 christina cadden August 17, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Those burgers sound so good!

29 Hayley August 17, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Black bean burgers always taste very “meaty” to me – love that!

30 kimliveshealthy August 17, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I love the spicy black bean burgers too – just discovered them a few weeks ago & now I’m hooked! We made veggie burger fajitas last night mmm the black bean patties are so good by themselves, so beany 🙂

31 Pearl Lee August 18, 2010 at 3:16 am

i actually get marinara cravings, but never burger cravings! well, at least not recently hehe.