Two Years on the Job

by Meghann on August 16, 2010

In July of 2008 I took a chance. I quit my steady job, followed my gut, and moved back home. I was over Tallahassee and missed my family too much to be so far away.

The plan was to find a job and be out of my parent’s hair before they even realized I was there.

The plan worked. Just a couple of weeks after moving home I was offered two jobs. One doing almost the exact same thing I was doing in Tallahassee and the other doing more of what I wanted to creatively, but with less pay and more freedom than the first. Again I went with my gut and went with the job with less pay and haven’t regretted it since. Money isn’t everything, right?

Exactly two years later and I’m still with the same company. Those two years have gone by way too fast too. It feels just like yesterday that I had my 90 day review and now I’m preparing for my 2 year review! I want to gather some fun job related posts and create a tab for it – hopefully, I’ll have it up soon!

But, can you believe in all of those two years doing this job I have not once gone out and picked up unplanned take out and brought it back to my desk? Well, that was until today…

IMG_5487

I wanted something green for lunch. I wanted fresh, beautiful food that would make my tastebuds and my mind happy. The only thing in my fridge right now is half a melon, some seitin, and about 4 jars of nut butter. I knew that wasn’t going to satisfy my craving for fresh food for lunch, so I went to Roly Poly and picked up a Spa Salad to go.

IMG_5488

We order the Spa Salad all the time for work meetings, but I’ve never been to a Roly Poly and picked up just the salad. It has a mix of greens, sprouts, tomato, walnuts, cranberries, mushrooms, and avocado with a balsamic dressing on the side.

IMG_5493

It was delicious and I consumed and loved each and every bite. :)

IMG_5490

Before lunch I was able to sample my first AllieBar!

IMG_5482

Allie was so sweet to hand a few out at the Healthy Living Summit this weekend! After hearing KAth rave about them for so long I couldn’t wait to dive in!

IMG_5485

The bar was amazing. It was very rich, sweet, and decadent. I want to say it had a good amount of brown sugar or molasses in it? It was almost like a dessert. A very tasty, hearty dessert.

Thanks again Allie! :)

Healthy Living Summit Recaps!

Have you been checking them out? I have to admit reading everyone’s wonderful, honest reviews got me a little teary eyed this morning. The 5 of us worked so hard on this event and to know that everyone had such a great time just let’s us know that it was all worth it. Thanks guys! :)

1 Beth August 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

You guys did an AMAZING job on the Summit! I just wrote up an indepth review of the Fueling for Fitness session – my favorite one!

2 eatmovewrite August 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Congrats on Two Years! I know how rewarding it can be to do something you love.

And, I haven’t had Roly Poly since I moved from Indiana to California. I am so jealous! I LOVED Roly Poly.

3 sweetersalt August 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Yum – bright and fresh salad!

4 Shanna, like Banana August 16, 2010 at 2:39 pm

So inspirational to hear people are doing what they love!

5 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair August 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I also took a more flexible/creative fun job for less pay when I graduated University (2 months ago) so far I don’t regret it at all! I am not STUCK to a hardcore 8-5 schedule like so many of my friends AND I only work 4 days/week, which is amazing :)

6 Kelly August 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm

It’s amazing how fast time goes by. I can’t believe I’ve been at my job almost 3 years.

7 Jaci August 16, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Congratulations — on the anniversary AND on a successful weekend!

8 BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Congrats on the two years!!!! And such a GREAT weekend! I wish I could have been there!!!

I LOVE Roly Poly :) Was there just last week!

9 lowandbhold August 16, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Congrats on the two years! And that salad really is fresh and gorgeous. Yum!

10 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 16, 2010 at 3:13 pm

That’s crazy that you haven’t gotten takeout in two years on the job! If there’s any time to do it though, it’s right after this weekend. Looks great!

11 Pearl Lee August 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm

you did an absolutely fantastic job with the summit! i’m so proud and happy for you!

12 LiveForTheRun August 16, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Look at you, business Barbie is growing up. You found jobs quickly bc you’re a catch – keep it up.

I think I could live off the HLS goodies all week:)

13 Megan (Braise The Roof) August 16, 2010 at 3:48 pm

HLS was such a success- thanks for all the hard work you put into it, Meghann! It was great meeting you. :)

14 carly August 16, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I need to find a Roly Poly! I had never heard of them until I moved near Tallahassee … I’ve only heard really good things, so I definitely need to find one the next time I’m in the city.

And congratulations on your two-year anniversary! Those gut instincts are usually the right choices. :-)

15 Matt August 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Congrats! Staying at a job that long is quite an accomplishment :)

16 Heather August 16, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Good for you for never bringing lunch back to your desk – I try to always bring my lunch. Unfortunately I can’t go home for lunch because I would spend most of my time in the car.

I do always try to bring my lunch though – so much cheaper.

That salad looks delicious!

17 Jessica August 16, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Hi Meghann,

I’m a pretty deep “lurker”; I have a blog (that I seldom update anymore), but I haven’t yet really become active in the blog community.

As a recent college graduate myself, I find you to be such an inspiration – you work a regular job, have a great social life, and still manage to fit in training for multiple long distance events! I’m trying to find the balance to do all of these things as well, with varying degrees of success.

Right now I’m really struggling – I have a pretty great job (I’ve worked there just about 6 months), but I’m living 8 hours away from my family. Homesickness has always been something of an issue for me, and instead of “curing” it, like a thought being further away would (long story short – I’m living in the same town as my brother, but am unable to rely on him for support as much as I would like to), I find myself missing them more everyday.

I guess I just wanted to say “thank you” for your post today – I’m not running out and quitting my job tomorrow, but it’s nice to know that it is an option, and that I wouldn’t be “failing” myself if I did end up going home sooner than anticipated. If you have any advice on the matter, I’d love to hear it, otherwise have a great evening! (Sorry for taking up so much of your comment section – this just really hit home with me).

-Jessica

18 Monique@She's Going The Distance August 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Congrats on approaching the two year mark!! I just left my job and moved too…. and I’m still waiting on my offers :)

You’re inspiring! xx

19 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness August 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm

You all did such a tremendous job with the Healthy Living Summit! Congrats on your second year at the job, it is crazy how time flies when you love what you’re doing.

20 christina cadden August 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Congrats on two years! That is awesome!

21 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 16, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I had to do a double take when I saw Alli’s business cards! They are the exact same design as our wedding RSVP cards were!!!!

22 Beer and Burrito Body August 16, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Two years with no take out! Was the just a coincidence or has it been a goal?

23 runningwithsass August 16, 2010 at 6:47 pm

congrats on two years! what a milestone!

24 Molly August 16, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Congrats on two years! Crazy what taking a risk and moving home can do!
You are fabulous, Meghann!

xo-Molly

25 Dione August 16, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Congrats on your 2 year anniversary!

26 Susan August 16, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Ohmygod, I can’t even imagine being at a job for two months let along two years :P It’s all about following your gut. Something both of us may have learned the hard way, but it’s amazing once you’re in a job situation you are happy with. Work doesn’t always have to be horrible!

P.S. Even though we didn’t get to chat much, it was great seeing you this weekend. You are a total sweetheart!

27 Brynne August 16, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I loveee the Spa Salad from Roly Poly! Everything you could possibly want in a salad :) And congrats on two years on the job!

28 Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I’m still bummed we couldn’t meet this weekend!! Maybe over marathon weekend?? I’ll be at the sidelines cheering!!!

29 inmytummy August 16, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Oh, that salad looks good. There’s a Roly Poly near my office, but I’ve never been.

30 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 16, 2010 at 11:56 pm

That is some fresh lookin’ avocado on that salad!

Aw glad you enjoyed the AllieBar :)