more ยป" />

Stocked

by Meghann on August 16, 2010

I have food again!

This afternoon I practically skipped out of work and beelined it straight to Publix. I spent way too much money stocking up on fresh fruit and veggies, but it was worth it. An empty fridge is a sad fridge, but a full fridge is a happy one! ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a random half a cantaloupe in my fridge this morning that make a perfect snack this afternoon.

It was a little smooshy and probably well past it’s ‘best before’ date, but it was still refreshing on a rainy, hot afternoon.

For dinner tonight I was craving salmon. Ever since I had a bite of Kath’s salmon salad on Friday, salmon has been on my mind.

I picked up an individualized portion of salmon at Publix and made a simple topping of plain greek yogurt, fresh dill, garlic powder, oregano, S&P. I baked it together at 450 for 15 minutes and had perfectly moist, delicious salmon.

On the side some red quiona.

And brussel sprouts that were cooked on the stovetop with some onions and a little balsamic vinegar.

Dessert was one of Gina’s famous macaroons she had politely handed to me at the summit (Or you know I stalked her and begged until she handed it over. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) and a new Chocolate Mint Attune bar from my HLS swag bag.

The macaroon was moist and basically melted in my mouth. Macaroons are always extra special to be because I know they’re something that are much to complicated to make on my own, So, when I do get my hands on them I relish and enjoy each and every bite.

The Attune bar was great as well. It tasted like a basic mint chocolate bar, but was full of good for you probiotics that are usually found in yogurt. I also enjoyed the crispies in each bite. My favorite chocolates have a bit of a crunch to them – ditto for ice cream. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Out of curiosity (nudge, nudge – wink, wink) what are some of your favorite blog layouts and what do you love about them?

I feel like I’ve been trying to move and redesign my blog for months not (patience is a virtue, right?) and I’m trying to put a proposal together for what I want in a lay out and honestly I have no clue where to start! There are so many options out there – it’s a little overwelming. But, I would love everyone’s insight and ideas!

1 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. August 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm

My favorite layouts are the one with an emphasis on simplicity. I hate when the layout is too overwhelming and it distracts from the content.

2 Evan Thomas August 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I am slightly obsessed with Tina’s blog layout. It’s definitely one of my favorites. A really neat feature to have is drop down tabs for pages. She has them and my web designer was able to give them to mine, as well.

3 Molly August 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I have demolished my attune bar stash. I am in love with the coffee chocolate kind. I need to get a box..or 10.

Happy Monday Meghann ๐Ÿ™‚

xo-Molly

4 Meg @ Be Fit Be Full August 16, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I agree with Mindy. Simplicity is best! One of my favorite layouts is Edible Perspective. But maybe that’s because her photos are so gorgeous?

5 Alison August 16, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I don’t like having a bare refrigerator either. It’s too sad.
As far as blog layouts go, I don’t have a favorite, but I’m all for keeping it simple. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

6 Errign August 16, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I really love wordpress twentyten theme (seen on my blog) because it’s easy to customize whether you buy the css upgrade or not, since you can move the widgets many places, change the background & header, etc.

(And if you end up needing a new header, I’d love to help!)

7 Sana August 16, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I wish there was a magical blog fairy that would just redo my blog with something simple elegant and klassy ( yes, with a k)

8 christina cadden August 16, 2010 at 9:40 pm

mm, your dinner looks amazing!

9 NYCRunnerGirl August 16, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Tina’s layout is one of my favorites. I think the reason I like it so much is that I can always find what I am looking for. That is true of Caitlin’s blog, too.

I agree with a lot of the comments above that less is more – simplicity is best! I get overwhelmed by layouts that have too much going on.

10 Ashley August 17, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Agree.

I like how it is in order and you can just hit ‘older entries’, rather than how some blogs start grouping up separately and you have to click individual entries.

11 Matt August 16, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Salmon is my all time favorite dish! I am going to have to try it with yogurt sauce soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

12 Stephanie August 16, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I love macaroons! They are actually super easy to make!

13 Katie August 16, 2010 at 10:02 pm

The salmon looks so good!

Love that attune bar too, its my fave flavor!

Hmmmmmmmmmm new blog layout, i do love tina’s at carrot and cake!

I am in the midst of finding a new layout too, but dont want to dish alot of money! I like who did mine, rainydaytemplates.com , her name is Ellie and she is sweet as ever too!

14 Aimee August 16, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I love Tina’s “Carrots ‘N Cake” and Meg’s “A Practical Wedding/Reclaiming Wife”– both have drop down menus up top for easy accessibility and a decluttered “home” page that doesn’t overwhelm at first glance, but allows you to easily find what you need.

15 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 16, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I agree with everyone else – simplicity is the key!

16 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 16, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Simplicity is definitely best. P.S. Now I am craving cantaloupe.

17 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Hahaha I stalked her like a mad woman for a baggie of ‘roons….and so glad I did! Amazing, huh?

Your title should be ‘Stalked’ ahaha

18 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness August 16, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Your dinner looks great. I haven’t tried the Attune bar from the HLS swag bag yet, but based off of your review I think I’ll like it!

Layouts = the simpler, the better. I really like how yours is right now. Some other examples of clean-flowing blogs would be Kath Eats Real Food and Oh She Glows.

19 Amber August 16, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I love Angela’s layout at ohsheglows!

I think that Thesis blogs look so good because there are so many design options with them! Are you hiring someone to do it or doing it yourself?

20 Danielle August 16, 2010 at 11:41 pm

…I should stalk more often ๐Ÿ˜‰ they sound amazing!

I unfortunately don’t have much experience with designing layouts but I do have a few things to say to you like: You are just as cute in person as you seem on the blog, it was such a pleasure to meet you! And, thank you for doing your part in planning the Healthy Living Summit! To say I had a blast would be a complete understatement :).

21 Sarah August 16, 2010 at 11:44 pm

1. simplicity, not too much crap on the side bars, but an over-riding punchy theme with colors or something
2. comments button at the BOTTOM of the post. I’m lazy and don’t like scrolling to the top.
3. call me silly but I like it when they have some kind of shadow or frame thing around the photos… anchors it on the page
4. My favorite features are in the way the comments work. I like gravatars and when you get an email when someone responds to your comment (but you don’t have to sign up each time).
5. I also think Kath’s little changing photo thing on the side bar is uber cool.

22 Sarah August 17, 2010 at 8:55 am

i totally agree- esp with #4!

23 Balance is Beauty August 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I wish I could help you out…I’m new to blogging and am practically clueless! What works for me (and what I seem to enjoy in other peoples blogs) is simplicity and cleanliness. Layouts that have too much going on are a bit overwhelming. The best blogs focus on the writer’s posts and pictures instead of who is sponsoring them etc. I really enjoy yours!

24 Summah August 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Agreed with Sarah above; I love Kath’s photos. I also love the new layout Heather has at HangryPants, with the whole Featured Posts at the top.

25 Marina August 17, 2010 at 2:20 am

Your dinner looks amazing! I adore salmon, baked, smoked… I need to get some ๐Ÿ™‚
I prefer simple blogs, well organized, with not to much buttons, ads, and stuff.
Like edibleperspective, that’s a really nice layout

26 Pearl Lee August 17, 2010 at 3:18 am

looks delicious!

27 Tina August 17, 2010 at 6:21 am

I’m in with the simplicity thing too. I like what I think 3 columns works best too because then you have space to add badges, ads, etc on the sidebars and still have most toward the top of the screen so they don’t seem to be filling the entire page as you scroll down.

28 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 17, 2010 at 7:35 am

I already like your layout because it’s so simple- those are my favorites! I don’t like having a ton of stuff going on around the post.

29 DiningAndDishing August 17, 2010 at 10:23 am

I know what you mean…a full fridge is a great feeling! Whenever I get back from being out of town my #1 priority is going to the grocery store. It feels so nice to have fresh, healthy options after spending time away!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

30 Shanna, like Banana August 17, 2010 at 10:30 am

Red quinoa is pretty dang awesome!

Each layout has it’s pros and cons, but I must say when I visit the blogspot hosted ones, there seems to be a lot of issues…very weird

31 Emily August 17, 2010 at 11:07 am

I’ve been meaning to try red quinoa. Does it have the same texture and flavor as regular quinoa?

32 Shanna, like Banana August 17, 2010 at 11:48 am

Hi Emily — red quinoa is a bit more nutty than regular and the texture is slightly more coarse. But you can totally do a one for one substitution with reg or red quinoa! ๐Ÿ˜‰

33 Faith August 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I have to agree – the simplest layouts are the best, with only the essentials in the sidebars – otherwise it gets confusing and cluttered.

34 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice August 17, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Hi Meghann, I really like your blog and your photos are beautiful! I would say the best blog layouts are, as many have said above, simple and minimal with not too many popping colors.

P.S. I prefer smooshy cantaloupe over harder ones haha

35 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale August 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I love salmon with a creamy dill sauce! I like to mix in a little fresh lemon juice too, for a bit of a kick.

Another good oven-cooked method is to preheat your broiler til it’s hot, then stick the salmon under it (a few inches from the flame) for about 9 minutes.