more ยป" />

Deep Dish

by Meghann on August 15, 2010

You know I couldn’t leave Chicago with out enjoying some deep dish pizza, right?

All weekend I had been dying to get my hands on some great deep dish pizza, but with a jammed packed schedule, I was struggling to find time to get it in. I was green with envy listening to all my fellow Healthy Living Summit attendees rave about the great local deep dish pizza they’d been experiencing since arriving in Chicago. I wanted pizza too!

My plan was to save room for pizza on Sunday, but the majority of people I had spoke with had already experienced the thrill of deep dish pizza (some people twice!). Bummer. ๐Ÿ™

Luckily, I was able to track down a small group of fellow deep dish virgins (minus Chandra) who were ready to take in the true Chicago deep dish experience with me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Evan, Suki, Chandra, Monica , Emily, and I walked the 1.8 miles to Gino’s East for what we were told would be a true Chicago Deep Dish Pizza experience.

IMG_5397.jpg

We were told there would be a wait, but we had literally sat down for 10 seconds when they called out name and told us our table was ready. I think it helped that we arrived about 10 minutes after the doors opened at noon.

Gino’s East was a great grafetti-fied restaurant where every inch of the walls, chairs stairwell, etc is signed with signatures of past diners.

The deep dish pizzas take a full 45 minutes to make, so we started with a family style salad.

It was a standard pizzeria salad with basic iceburg lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and olives with a hour dressing on the side.

I had a plate with all the fixins, a little dressing, and some delicious homemade croutons.

The wait for the pizza wasn’t bad at all. I guess it helps when you have a table full of bloggers and lots and lots to talk about. ๐Ÿ™‚

Forty-five minutes later we had deep dish!

IMG_5422.jpg

For the 5 of us (Evan ordered a special gluten free crust pizza) we ordered a medium vegetarian and a small spinach which ended up being way too much food! Honestly, I think we could have ordered the one medium and been great!

First up: a whole slice of the vegetarian pizza which was filled with peppers, onion, and squash.

Wow! This pizza was good! I loved how saucy and cheesey it was. The crust was also to die for! Despite the overload of toppings, the crust was still crispy and flaky. I wonder how they do that?!?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Next, a half slice of the spinach.

Again, amazing crust and lots of sauce and cheese! My favorite bites were the ones that contained the huge forkfuls of spinach. I almost wish I had enough room in my stomach to enjoy the full piece!

We left stuffed, happy, and satisfied. ๐Ÿ™‚

After all the pizza, the 1.8 mile walk back to the hotel was a welcomed activity.

Emily and I calculated and if you add up the 16 miles we ran this morning plus the nearly 4 mile walk to and from lunch, we were on our feet a total of 20 miles today. No wonder I’m so tired! ๐Ÿ™‚

I was sad to have to say good bye to all the friends I had made this weekend. Leaving for the airport was very emotional as I gave hug after hug to all my new friends. Thank goodness we all have blogs to keep in touch with. Plus, there’s always HLS 2011! ๐Ÿ˜‰

On the plane I had a pear I had snagged from a snack break yesterday.

And once I made it home I had a lame frozen Indian dinner.

It was easy quick and pretty tasty. ๐Ÿ™‚

My bed is calling my name.

GOOD NIGHT!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Meg @ Be Fit Be Full August 15, 2010 at 9:22 pm

It was so great to meet you this weekend! Even though it was brief ๐Ÿ™‚ Many thanks for doing such an amazing job organizing the conference! Two thumbs up.
And now I am in the mood for more deep dish!

2 Molly August 15, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Meghann you are amazing! I just wrote my recap and posted the pic of you and had to gush about how great you are! Especially in person. I read your blog always, and it was a treat to meet you. Thank you so much for your hard work and putting this on for all of us bloggers. Its something I will never forget.

I wish I could have gotten my hands on some true deep dish, but I had to settle for a personal pan in the airport. Not nearly as good ๐Ÿ™

I hope you had a fabulous weekend! Welcome Home! (all I had was frozen entrees too, a grocery shopping trip is in order! I think I can survive on swag until then though ๐Ÿ˜‰

xo-Molly

3 Beth August 15, 2010 at 9:24 pm

It was so nice to meet you! I can’t believe I didn’t eat deep dish pizza while in Chicago!! I left too early today. Sad story.

4 Erin August 15, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Yes – HLS 2011! I’m so bummed I couldn’t make it last year OR this year so 2011 it is! ๐Ÿ˜‰

5 Ash Bear August 15, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I’m so jealous you all had deep dish! It looks DELICIOUS! You all did a great job on your long run this morning AND the entire summit! Can’t wait to see you in 3 short weeks! I’ll be up to 17 miles!!!

6 christina cadden August 15, 2010 at 9:30 pm

mm, that pizza looks so good!

7 Nicole August 15, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for awhile now and am just now commenting. All you ladies inspired me to start my own blog today. I made a promise to myself… if I am still blogging this time next year I can treat myself to the HLS (granted you all are still putting it on). It looks so fun, and right up my alley. Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 15, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I’m sure you are so happy to be home after your busy two weeks! {even though your two weeks were fun also} but routine is always good to come home to ๐Ÿ™‚

9 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 15, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Gino’s is soooo good! Wise choice for your last day. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Welcome home!

10 pinkflipflops August 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm

ahh.. gosh how i miss chicago deep dish.. we have made our own at home but still my mouth waters just thinking of it!

11 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm

What a wonderful way to finish a great weekend!!!

12 Pearl Lee August 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm

fantastic photos!

13 Nikki August 15, 2010 at 10:29 pm

On the spot! I love Deep Dish pizza, my whole family was born in Chicago, besides me! We moved to Florida and I was born here, but my whole family being from Chicago I picked up the accent, love for Deep Dish, and hatred for New York Pizza! Anyways, whenever we drive up to Orlando to visit my brother in College, we always go to the Giordano’s there, it’s deep-dish pizza is excellent and their restaurant definitely feels like Chicago (Blues Brother Statues, Deep-Dish pizzas, Shirts, and always showing the Cubs + Sox in action!)

I’ve been to Gino’s East before, it was O.K, I didn’t really like like it so much as the rest of my family did though, haha :D!

14 Sarah August 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Lots of oil and butta ๐Ÿ˜‰ that’s how that crust stays so crunchy and flaky.

15 Emilyeatsclean August 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I just ate at Gino’s East a week or 2 ago! It was soooo yummy! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/9125/

16 Evan Thomas August 15, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I was such a corpse on my plane ride. I think I fell asleep taking off. 20 miles did a number on me.
That waiter definitely had character. We should have gotten his name to invite him to the next HLS, haha.

17 Marina August 16, 2010 at 3:43 am

I would love to try that pizza!
I like thick doughy crust on pizza, so I think this would be perfect for me :))
I can only imagine how great it is to have such company for dinner!

18 Megan August 16, 2010 at 8:02 am

I usually don’t crave pizza in the morning, but after this post I want some NOW! Looks like you all had a blast at the Summit! Definitely coming next year ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 16, 2010 at 8:45 am

Deep Dish is tasty, but sooooo filling. I usually don’t feel so great after eating it.

20 Emily @ The Front Burner Blog August 16, 2010 at 10:42 am

MISSING YOU already. Need to make running/eating together a much more regular occurrence. Glad you are home safe and sound!

21 April August 16, 2010 at 10:59 am

I LOVE that place. Great pizza ๐Ÿ™‚

22 runningwithsass August 16, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I ahve always wanted gino’s pizza!

23 Katie August 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm

YUMM!!! That food looks so great! I love the atmosphere of the pizza restaurant. It looks so fun and relaxed!

24 momsgottheruns August 16, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Ah! Chicago pizza! I lived in Chicago for a year back (’02-’03)and that pizza is one of the reasons why I gained 15 pounds that year…oh the memories! : )

25 DiningAndDishing August 16, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Ginos was my first (and only) Chicago deep dish pizza experience too! I looooved it. I’ve been back to the city once since but missed out that time. I wish there was a way to satisfy that craving a little closer to home!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com