Chicago Tastebud Tours

by Meghann on August 14, 2010

A few of the amazing Healthy Living Summit sponsors offered evening activities for a handful of our attendees on a first comes, first serve basis. There was core fusion, kick boxing, zumba, etc to choose from. I actually enjoyed how everything was broken up into smaller groups so we could all get to know each other more on a one on one basis rather than the 225 group setting from earlier.

Most of the activities went quickly, but lucky for me, I just happened to score a spot of the Arnold & Oroweat walking Tastebud Tour of Chicago. Score!

Actually, according to Jessica I was the first one to sign up! πŸ™‚

A walking food tour of a new city I’ve never been too?

Umm… YES PLEASE! πŸ™‚

The tour concentrated on the Millenium Loop area of Chicago. It was a great mix of Chicago history and food. I learned a lot, I ate a lot, and I had an awesome time with my fellow bloggers. πŸ™‚

Did I mention we had a photographer following us around the whole time? I felt like a celebrity! Thanks Arnold!

Out first stop was the Berghoff restaurant. Apparently we did good by eating there yesterday – it’s a Chicago landmark!

IMG_5236.jpg

We were served a mini brautwurst in a pretzel bun with saurkraut and german potato salad.

I didn’t want to fill up so I just had a couple of bites of each. The brautwurst was salty and meaty while the potato salad was slightly sweet and delicious.

IMG_5257.jpg

We really wanted another Octoberfest, but were told we had no time. Booooo….

Next stop the Palmer Hotel

The original hotel burnt down in the fire, but they managed to preserve the blueprints so that an exact replica could be resurrected in it’s place. The only difference were all the modern convinces such as elevators, electricity, etc and the beautiful French decor influence.

Apparently a former owner’s wife had also assisted in the creation of the modern day brownie. In her honor we were give pieces of fudgy brownie’s from Sarah to sample and enjoy.

I only had a couple of bites because the brownie was go rich and chocolately. Delicious.

IMG_5288.jpg

Did you know Chicago has a whole underground tunnel system of getting around the Loop? It was news to me.

We were led to a popcorn place and offered samples of the famous Chicago mix of Cheddar and Carmel Corn.

Some people my roll their eyes at the concept, but I’m always one up for a new fun flavor combination. If you mix something completely out there and tell me it’s good – you better believe I’m going to try it myself!! πŸ˜‰

Not bad. Not great either, but I wouldn’t turn a handful or two down. πŸ˜‰

IMG_5310.jpg

Next up we got to try something I’ve been dying to have since I’ve arrived in Chicago – a bonified Chicago Dog!!

A Chicago Dog has mustard, relish, peppers, mustard, tomato, and a full pickle spear – all served in a steamed poppyseed bud. And ketchup? We don’t need no stinkin’ ketchup. Apparently you will be forced to hang our head in shame if you ask for ketchup in Chicago. πŸ˜‰

It was just a good as I knew it would be. So many flavors going on at once, but all complementing each other in the perfect way. I want to go back for more and more. πŸ™‚

Now, the tour wasn’t all about food, it was also about getting to see the city! And what a beautiful and amazing city this truly is!!

IMG_5330.jpgIMG_5333.JPG

Our last stop was the ‘world famous’ Billy Goat Tavern.

If you ever go be sure to ask for a pepsi and french fries to go. πŸ˜‰

Look what we found!!

Many thanks to Ashley’s husband Bo for the refreshing and delicious beer. I owe you one when we’re in NYC in a few weeks. πŸ˜‰

IMG_5361.jpg

Here’s to HLS 2010!!! Drink up ladies!!

The whole group got cheeseburgers!

And loaded them up with toppings

So much bread! But, good bread! I had about half before calling it quits. Stick a fork in me, I was done. πŸ™‚

I had planned to ‘dinner hop’ but am just too exhausted. I got back to the hotel and could barely keep my eyes open.

Tomorrow morning I have an early wake up call and big plans to meet a few lovely ladies for SIXTEEN miles in the morning! This run is going to rock. True story. πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Courtney August 14, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Yum! Gotta love Chicago food… not too healthy but so worth it πŸ™‚

And NO ketchup allowed! Even as a kid I wasn’t allowed to put ketchup on my hot dog, haha

This is a Coke city. Not just that restaurant- nearly everywhere! πŸ˜€

2 ash bear August 14, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I had so much fun with you! That may be the worst pic ever btw πŸ™‚

3 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 14, 2010 at 11:37 pm

The burgers looked good! A 16 mile run! What?!

4 Balance is Beauty August 15, 2010 at 12:04 am

Ah! I have never been so jealous in my life, haha. First off, I have been dying to go to Chicago for MONTHS now…the pictures are great. It is exactly like I pictured it to be. Second, a food tour?! How lucky are you guys? That’s so awesome. The bratwurst in the pretzel bun looks ridiculous…I’ll have to try that if I ever get there. Thanks for sharing your pictures and good luck with the 16 mile run!

5 Maggie August 15, 2010 at 12:17 am

Wait this years summit doesn’t seem as much fun or organized as last years.

6 Bobbi August 15, 2010 at 12:53 am

Good luck tomorrow I am running 16 too!!!!

7 Nicole August 15, 2010 at 1:16 am

16 miles? That’s so amazing! Hope you all have a perfect fabulous run! Looks like you’re having such a blast at the HLS! Lucky folks πŸ™‚

8 Crystal August 15, 2010 at 3:02 am

Please tell me you didn’t say Garrett’s (sp?) popcorn was less than amazing. I go to Chicago every year around Christmas and wait in line for over an hour to buy a bag. It’s amazing!!!! And Chicago dogs are the best food ever. They’re passable outside of Chicago, but to get an amazing one you have to be within 30 miles of the city. I miss living that close to Chi-town when I see posts like this.

9 ForDGRedial August 15, 2010 at 4:39 am

I love half sweet – half salted popcorn. Not sure about cheddar and caramel…

Amy x

10 whitinspired August 15, 2010 at 8:45 am

oh man. That is right up my alley. Chicago dog looks sooooo good!!

11 pursuitofhealthfulness August 15, 2010 at 9:52 am

Looks like a fun (delicious) way to top off the trip! Although I wouldn’t eat a hot dog, I do like the concept that they don’t use ketchup! It’s my one phobia!

12 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 15, 2010 at 10:09 am

Ummm…food tour??? Yes, please! πŸ˜‰ Hope your run went well! What a great city to knock out a 16-miler!

13 Erin August 15, 2010 at 10:19 am

I think food tours are a great way to see the city!

FYI, it’s just called “The Loop”, not Millennium Loop. Did they tell you why it’s called The Loop?

Hope you enjoyed your sixteen miler this morning!

14 Erin August 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Love The Loop area! Chicago is such a fantastic city.

And you weren’t a fan of the cheese/caramel popcorn? I love it – Garrett Popcorn has the best, in my opinion.

Glad you got to enjoy some Chicago food. There are soooo many cool restaurants outside the Loop, too. Great food town.

15 Brooke [onehealthycookie] August 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I love, love, love Chicago dogs! I used to work at a movie theater with a little restaurant in it in high school and we served Chicago dogs. I think the relish and celery salt really put it over the top. I always make sure to pick one up every time I go back to Chicago!

16 pinkflipflops August 15, 2010 at 7:03 pm

We stayed in the Loop area last year when we were there. I can’t believe you guys didn’t try deep dish pizza. mmmmm. We were in Pittsburgh this last week and they have some pretty sweet popcorn there. We got a bag of spicy cheddar bacon.. yum! they also had reeses that my friend got and that was amazing as well!

17 Brittney August 16, 2010 at 9:56 am

It was so great to meet you Meghann! I’m a big fan of your blog (in case you couldn’t tell) and it was fun talking about the puppies! I hope you’ll come to Charlotte for a visit sometime. My guest room is open if you want to and you can totally bring Maddie! I might do a Disney race if I can stay injury free, so maybe I’ll see you on your turf sometime πŸ˜‰ Keep in touch!

18 hundredtenpounds August 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Chicago pizza is AWESOME. Definitely worth the plane ticket. πŸ˜‰

19 myFOODevents August 16, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I want to try a Chicago dog… bad!

20 Niki (Running In Pink) August 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Your pictures of Chicago are gorgeous! It really is an amazing city!

21 Lynn Jaynes February 15, 2011 at 1:04 am

Join Tastebud Tours the #1 Food Tour in Chicago in the city of deep dish pizza and Chicago-style hot dogs. Enjoy tastes of these iconic dishes synonymous with our great city and be introduced to other foods that Chicago has made famous. Walk through the heart of the city on our taste adventure. Eat at six or seven memorable restaurants and food specialty shops. Hear about Chicago’s history, cultural fun facts and celebrated cuisine. Gift certificates available. Group Events & Customized Private Tours also available. Open year-round. Advance ticket purchase is required. Tours sell out in advance. For tickets or more information, please visit: http://www.tastebudtours.com A taste of the Tastebud Tour Chicago! http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2F&h=bf55c

22 Lynn Jaynes April 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I would love to use a couple of your photos of the Billy Goat on my website,with your permission Thanks Lynn