A Stressed Meghann is a Speedier Meghann

by Meghann on August 11, 2010

I’m not sure I’ve ever woken up more ready to get up and run then I did this morning.

There is something about pounding the pavement that is just so soothing. It gives me an hour to myself where I am detached from everything. It’s an hour where I can decompress, think through problems, and just let all the little things melt away.

After yesterday’s epic day my stress levels were at an all time high and I needed that time to myself. I hit the pavement running and I hit it hard. All the stress poured out of me as my body did it’s thing. The more I let go, the faster I got it. By the end of my 5 miles I had some pretty impressive negative splits to look back on.

• Mile 1: 9:08
  • Mile 2: 8:42
  • Mile 3: 8:33
  • Mile 4: 8:28
  • Mile 5: 8:09
  • Total: 43:02

I could have kept going too. 😉

Running is my therapy. I might go crazy without it.

I had an interesting bowl of cereal for breakfast this morning.

IMG_4306

I was the standard half a cup of this, half a cup of that, but instead of being topped with yogurt and fruit – I used some left over smoothie from last night instead.

IMG_4310

Strawberry Cereal? Yum!

IMG_4315

with some peanut butter, chocolate chips, and dried fruit to finish it off!

IMG_4323

Does stress make you run faster?

I actually think that’s why I do so well in race settings. All the stress and pressure of race day and I just let it all out on the road. It works for me. 🙂

1 Nicci@NiftyEats August 11, 2010 at 8:29 am

I love running to relieve the stress, clears my mind.

2 britchickruns August 11, 2010 at 8:31 am

Yep stress definetly helps! When I was my most stressed, I did a half mary in 1hr43 – I did 12miles today in 1hr46! 1mile less, 3mins slower..I’m too chilled 😛

3 Fit Chick in the City August 11, 2010 at 8:32 am

I’ll cross my fingers and hope that you’re stressed the day of the Chicago marathon. =)

4 poiseinparma August 11, 2010 at 8:33 am

Stress definitely fuels my workouts, especially kickboxing! It’s great to get the aggression out by punching at an imaginary person, and it’s cheaper than anger management classes 🙂

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 11, 2010 at 8:37 am

The only stress that would make me run faster would be stress from a wild animal chasing me. a fight or flight response.

6 sweetersalt August 11, 2010 at 8:38 am

I love smoothies with cereal! I often make a banana protein smoothie and top it with granola, cereal, fruit, etc. for breakfast. So refreshing and delicious!

laura

7 kristen August 11, 2010 at 8:38 am

Life stress helps me run faster, but I find that the stress and pressure of a race when I’m putting pressure on myself to be faster actually makes me freak out a bit and I become a bit of a headcase…it is quite odd.

8 comicallyfit August 11, 2010 at 8:40 am

I definitely run faster and harder when I’m stressed. When I’m happy and relaxed I’m more apt to go at a leisurely pace without much concern for time. Working out can’t be beat for stress relief… If I couldn’t get a run in after a long day at work I’d probably end up like that Jet Blue pilot grabbing a beer and making a dramatic exit out of an emergency slide!

9 Amy August 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

OH, hell yes!

When I am stressed, I could go forever and go forever a whole lot faster. Nothing like leaving it out on the pavement (or the trail).

10 katie August 11, 2010 at 8:49 am

Stress gives me an adrenaline rush, and exercise is the best way to calm down!

11 rebecca lustig August 11, 2010 at 8:51 am

running is the best therapy!! it releases me, sets me free from the ordinary life.

have a wonderful wednesday
love, becca

12 Amelia August 11, 2010 at 9:03 am

I do run faster when stressed or feel rushed. Lately since I have been lifting more than running, I challenge myself to lift heavier or just one more rep to combat the stress. Love the endorphins that follow!

13 Amy @ Second City Randomness August 11, 2010 at 9:07 am

Running is definitely what I need on super stressed days. Sometimes I’ll hesitate to actually go (and want to hide under covers for the rest of the night), but once I get there it’s SO ON!

Those are great splits! I hope today is a little bit easier on ya, though!

14 Sarah August 11, 2010 at 9:20 am

yeah, definitely stress makes me run faster. it’s great to calm me down & get my mind on something else. and that cereal looks fab!

15 Amanda August 11, 2010 at 9:34 am

My power walks are insane power walks when I’m stressed and need to clear my head. Yoga helps me, too! Where did you buy your cacoa nibs?

16 jorydanielle August 11, 2010 at 9:44 am

Stress DOES make me run faster!!! When I’m not stressed, I definitely take my good, sweet time and meander down the street. If something is bothering me, or I’m thinking about the million things I need to do that day, I’m a regular speed demon. 🙂

17 Kristina @goodnweird August 11, 2010 at 9:45 am

Nice run Meghann! Running is definitely my stress reliever. I don’t know I survived all those years without it.

18 Meghan@traveleatlove August 11, 2010 at 10:14 am

It makes me work out harder. There is nothing like the pounding of your heart and lots of sweat to cleanse away stress. My workout saved me from having another meltdown at work yesterday! I felt blissful after.

19 Tina August 11, 2010 at 10:47 am

I always work out better when I have stress to release. I guess the tension being released just fuels it and it feels so good. Glad you had a great run!

20 40apples August 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

Absolutely stress makes me run faster (or spin faster, as the case may be). That’s one of the greatest things about exercise for me – all that pent-up adrenaline has somewhere to go and you end up feeling worlds better afterward!

21 Kt August 11, 2010 at 11:12 am

Stress makes me run faster fo sho! Anger is even better 🙂
Meghann I read your blog every day and I LOOOOOVE it. You’re amazing at being consistent with your healthy lifestyle. Have a great day!

22 gavrielski August 11, 2010 at 11:21 am

I’m sorry you’re feeling the stress, but YES–stress always makes me run so much faster. There really is nothing better than a long run after a tough, stressful day. It clears my mind and makes me feel like everything is in control. Just one more day for you! 🙂

23 Jo August 11, 2010 at 11:36 am

I’m not a runner but I find that I am most productive at most things with a little stress. The trick is to keep the stress levels manageable!

24 michele August 11, 2010 at 11:59 am

bring on the stress!! the breakfast looks interesting. I may have to try it sometime.

25 Heather August 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm

We almost had the same breakfast, and I swear I just read your blog after I ate it! LOL

If I’m stressed I run faster or just workout harder in general…feels good to let it all go through a workout.

26 Kelly August 11, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Running is the best therapy! I always feel better after it, no matter what.

27 rc1001 August 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Way to go! I’m still building up my endurance level and have had a real struggle getting any mileage in during this blazing hot summer. Someday I hope to be able to just let my mind wander and run! But for now it is still really challenging.

28 DiningAndDishing August 11, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Yes, I LOVE going for a run when I’m stressed or upset. It’s a great way to just be alone with my thoughts and run/sweat out all my negative energy. I always come back feeling a million times better!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

29 runningaroundnormal August 11, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Stress can definitely be a good thing when it comes to working out – the fight or flight/adrenaline kicks in and really helps out:) Glad you feel so much better!

30 anotherannabanana August 11, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I don’t find any additional speed from stress — not much speed to speak of at all to begin with. 😉 However, I do definitely notice after a good work out how much more at ease I feel. Sometimes I realize I was stressed simply after a nice workout and release. Our bodies are really awesome like that!

Hope your brain is less fried and mushy today!

31 christina cadden August 11, 2010 at 1:40 pm

That is the primary reason why I run. It is the only way I relieve my stress. I have tried several other ways but none seem to work like running.

32 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 August 11, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I don’t run, I power walk, but it’s the same concept. When I’m frustrated, I tend to walk harder and longer than normal. It’s great stress relief.

33 runningwifle August 11, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I’m training for an October marathon too, and eventually want to qualify for Boston as well (though I have quite a lot of improvement to make before that can happen)! I’m impressed with your negative splits!

P.S. I’ve been stalking your blog for awhile now, and was inspired to create my own. Hope that’s not creepy 🙂