more ยป" />

Boot Camp

by Meghann on August 10, 2010

Rise and Shine!

Itโ€™s butt kicking time! ๐Ÿ™‚

At least thatโ€™s how I felt this morning. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My alarm went off at 5:30 and I was at the gym by 6:00 for the Tuesday morning Boot Camp Class.

I know Iโ€™ve mentioned it on here before, but the boot camp class at my gym is really one of my favorites. It incorporates a lot of sprinting, stair climbing, and old school p.e. moves that keeps me entertained and moving the whole class. Classes that are constantly changing it up and moving from one thing to another are much more my style. As much as I love the weighted aspect of body power, I donโ€™t like how you stand in one spot the entire class โ€“ with boot camp you get your weight training in while moving all over the place.

Our class was small today (about 6 people), so we got a lot of personal attention and a lot of butt kicking in. The instructor was really feeling abs today and we ended up doing three separate sets throughout the hour class. I think I am going to be filling that one tomorrow morning!

I also picked up a lot of moves that I can incorporate in my routine at home. The great thing about the boot camp style work out is that it doesnโ€™t really require any extra equipment and you can do the moves virtually anywhere. Iโ€™ve created a few boot camp style work outs on here in the past (Tennis Court Boot Camp, Stairwell Boot Camp, Parking Lot Boot Camp, etc) But, Iโ€™ve been inspired to create more.

Stay tuned!

(I just realized I need to create a work out page, let me add that to my list of things to do in the blog improvement department ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

For breakfast this morning I had a lovely mix of Overnight Oats in a Jar waiting to be devoured.

IMG_4242

IMG_4245

I was sad to see another jar of Naturally Nutty go. This jar will be missed. *sniff *sniff

IMG_4249

At least is made one killer jar of OIAJ. I literally licked the jar clean. ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_4255

EXACTLY TWO MORE MONTH UNTIL THE CHICAGO MARATHON!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 10, 2010 at 8:44 am

I;ve never done a boot camp class but I have done athletic training classes. I think it sounds similar from the way you described boot camp. Although I find the quality of the class entirely dependent on the quality of the instructor.

2 Meghann August 10, 2010 at 8:45 am

I’m pretty sure you’ll find that statement to be true with any group exercise class ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 10, 2010 at 8:47 am

I LOVE my boot camp class at my gym! The best workout for me. I go on MWF’s at 5:30……it’s difficult getting up that early but worth it knowing you’re done for the day and have the rest of the day to get your other things done. Your class sounds a lot like mine!

4 It All Changes August 10, 2010 at 8:52 am

Please do add a workout page. I get lots of new things to try from blogs and those workouts look great. I really enjoy the boot camp style because it reminds me of the work outs my dad had us do as kids for fun because he was a military man ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Naomi(oneFF) August 10, 2010 at 8:52 am

i teach a bootcamp class!! i love kicking butts ๐Ÿ™‚ they love feelign that ‘pain’ its awesome!

6 Britta August 10, 2010 at 9:01 am

I need to start getting up early again. Once you fall off it’s sooooo hard to get back on! Thanks for being such a great inspiration ๐Ÿ˜€

7 Marilou August 10, 2010 at 9:01 am

Just how many empty jars do you own? Hehe, it seems that every week you have OIAJ ๐Ÿ˜‰

8 Meghann August 10, 2010 at 9:03 am

There are currently 4 jars of nut butter in my kitchen and I have one that’s on it’s last straw as well. What can I say? I love nut butters!

9 Morgan @ Life After Bagels August 10, 2010 at 9:05 am

You know I have never been to boot camp before. But my local boot camp class was kind enough to offer me free classes and a reader giveaway so I will be taking on the boot camp challenge in September. I feel afraid, very afraid, hehehe

10 culturalcravings August 10, 2010 at 9:06 am

Wow, 6 am class? I think I’m going to have to start getting up earlier in order to fit in my workouts before commuting into the city. But maybe not QUITE that early. I’m impressed.

11 sweetersalt August 10, 2010 at 9:11 am

I’ve been wanting to do a boot camp class, but have just been putting it off. Perhaps now is the time!

laura

12 Sarah August 10, 2010 at 9:19 am

i’d love to see a workout page too. i’m always looking for good cross-training ideas!

13 runningwithsass August 10, 2010 at 9:24 am

ah, when you said old PE moves it brought back all these flashbacks of HS PE! lol!

14 rebecca lustig August 10, 2010 at 9:33 am

ahhh the marathon is sneaking up on ya!!! so excited for you. i only hope one day i’ll be able to participate in one!

hope you have a fantastic day!
love, becca

15 momsgottheruns August 10, 2010 at 9:51 am

Although I do love me some bootcamp classes, you will probably never find me in one at 6 in the morning!!! : )

16 newleafeats August 10, 2010 at 9:55 am

There is a boot camp class at my YMCA (tonight, in fact!), but I’m nervous to try it. I very easily find a lot of exercises NOT FUN, and if my fun meter isn’t satisfied, I’ll never go back. I might even leave in the middle of it. I can be so hard to please sometimes. This is why I Zumba.

17 biz319 August 10, 2010 at 10:10 am

I loved the boot camp class at my old office gym – they instructor was actually a retired Marine!

Do you have any idea if you have any plans for a Chicago blog meet up when you come into town – that’s probably too far away to think about now, but just wondering. ๐Ÿ˜€

18 Meghann August 10, 2010 at 10:21 am

Biz – I would love to meet you! We might be putting something together the Saturday before the marathon. I’m not sure yet!

19 RhodeyGirl August 10, 2010 at 10:13 am

I can’t believe the marathon is so soon!

I miss teaching boot camp ๐Ÿ™

20 Dione August 10, 2010 at 10:18 am

I agree with culturalcravings-I’m impressed too! I normally workout after work, not sure if I could ever make the switch to mornings. Rock on Meghann! Good luck in your marathon countdown training. ๐Ÿ™‚

21 wineandwalking.wordpress.com August 10, 2010 at 10:38 am

Really love your blog – your very inspirational! I am starting training for my first half marathon today!

22 eatmovewrite August 10, 2010 at 10:44 am

I’ve always been too much of a scaredy cat to take a boot camp class. I’ve pretty much tried every other class, and I do okay, but there’s just something about their descriptions, phrases like “hard-core” and “sweat like you’ve never sweat before” scare me to death!

23 gavrielski August 10, 2010 at 11:14 am

Boot camp always looks like so much fun! I think I would really love the PE-class type feel, and I love getting in core, body strength, and cardio all at one time. I just added a fitness log to my blog, too! ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s a great way of keeping track of my training and exercise.

24 myFOODevents August 10, 2010 at 11:26 am

I’ve never done a boot camp class, but I hear they are killer! I am hoping that when I go back for grad school this fall they have a class that is equivelent to a boot camp.

25 runningaroundnormal August 10, 2010 at 11:35 am

Love bootcamp style workouts:) And I love to train people through them too. The results are pretty major, too.
That is my absolute favorite flavor of Naturally Nutty – SOO good.

26 Kelly August 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm

my gym doesn’t have bootcamp. I wish they did ๐Ÿ™

27 Dorry August 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm

One thing I really miss about the gym is the boot camp I used to go to! And what better breakfast than overnight oats after an early morning workout. So excited for your marathon in 2 months! That same weekend is my 10-year high school reunion. ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Ali August 10, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I need to make overnight oats more often, thanks for the reminder ๐Ÿ™‚ I love bootcamp classes too. I like that they change up everything every few minutes. It has challenging but keeps your mind moving so you don’t get bored. So fun!

29 Melissa August 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm

that looks delicious!

30 Stacey August 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I’m impressed that you managed to get up at 5:30am , never mind make it through the class!!

Breakfast looks delish – my two favourite things: oats and nut butter!