more ยป" />

A Better Run

by Meghann on August 7, 2010

Boo ya!

14 miles? Pshhh…. I got that! ๐Ÿ™‚

After last week’s horrible long run, I decided to make a few changes this morning to guarantee a killer long run.

1. Starting my run an hour before the sun rose.

My alarm was set for 4:45 this morning and I was out the door by 5:30. It was dark and still very humid, but the missing sun really made all the difference. My body didn’t feel quite as defeated as last week and everything just felt better.

2. Gatorade.

IMG_3988.jpg

I added about a quarter of the bottle of gatorade to my camelbak and diluted it with water. The gatorade was very effective in cutting my need for water. Instead of constantly drinking from my camelbak, I was ok with only a sip or two every mile. I also felt stronger and more energized throughout the run. Who knew gatorade worked such wonders?

3. A New Route

My original plan was to run 3 miles to a nearby trail and complete the run on the trail. However, once I reached the trailhead it was still pitch black and very scary. I always run the trail during the day, so I didn’t realize it doesn’t have any light. I could picture the headlines now “Running Blogger Disappears in to the Abyss on Early Morning Run” Umm… i don’t think so.

Instead I continued on the main well-lit roads and found a new route to a nearby mall. The new route was really a blessing. The new surroundings kept me entertained and wondering where to turn next distracted me from how many miles I had left.

A little more than 2 hours later I finished the 14 mile run feeling about 20 times better then I did after my 12 miler last weekend. It’s amazing what a few changes will aide to a successful run in the heat. ๐Ÿ™‚

Before I took off this morning I had a pice of toast with almond butter and chocolate chips.

I was very short on time once I got back to my apartment, so I quickly whipped up a smoothie I could drink on my way out the door.

Ingredients:

• Frozen Strawberries
  • One Peach
  • Ice
  • Amazing Grass
  • 1/4 cup Oatmeal
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Almond Milk
  • PB2

I needed this smoothie to be filling and was hopping the addition of raw oatmeal would do the trick.

To make the oatmeal blender friendly I soaked it in almond milk before it went in the blender.

It did the trick!

Topped with a little granola.

IMG_4009.jpg

The smoothie was delicious and really easy to drink in the car on my way to Salutation Nation!

Salutation Nation is a Lululemon sponsored event which brought thousands of yogis across North America together to practice yoga outside at the same time. The event promotes community, yoga, and getting outside!

Did you participate at a Salutation Nation event where you live? Rumor has it over 25,000 yogis participated this morning!

I spotted a few friends in the crowd.

And had the pleasure of practicing next to Katy.

IMG_4038.jpg

The hour class brought a whole new meaning to hot yoga. I would say yoga at 9:00am in the blazing sun is definitely hot yoga. ๐Ÿ™‚

Many thanks to Lululemon for sponsoring the event and to my favorite Orlando Power Yoga teacher, Kelly, for leading us this morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

After yoga I had to hightail it back to my apartment to grab Maddie and bring her to my sister’s to bring to my parent’s for the evening. On the way out the door I only had enough time to grab a granola bar for the road.

When I did finally make it home for good an hour or so later, I was starving! I quickly through together a fun twist on the all-american classic of burgers and fries.

What appears to be a regular burger is actually a grilled portobello mushroom cap with cheese, roasted red peppers, spinach, and honey mustard.

Sweet potato fries

Pickle!

I have 3 hours now to shower/ nap/ relax before my big evening out in honor of the future Mrs. I better rest up or there’s no way I’m going to make it! ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish me luck!

1 Matt August 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I wish my run was as easy as yours this morning! I didn’t get out until after 8:00 and 18 miles felt like complete death.

2 britchickruns August 7, 2010 at 1:18 pm

14miles and a big old yoga class? Crikey woman, you sure do go for it!!! Great run stats ๐Ÿ™‚
Have a fab evening!

3 Carrie @ TV and Dinners August 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I love oatmeal in my smoothies. I don’t even soak it — just throw it in at the end and it blends right up. It’s the only way I can make smoothies a “meal,” without it I am hungry an hour later.

Your burger and fries look great.

4 Heather August 7, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Great day so far – isn’t it amazing that some weeks runs are just bad and others, they are amazing. Gatorade has also been the sponsor for a few of my longer runs as well – although I have never run 14 miles!

I love oatmeal in smoothies – I usually blend it first and then add the “wet” ingredients – works like a charm.

Have fun tonight!

5 Evan Thomas August 7, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Congratulations on the run!

6 Angela August 7, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Great run! I hope my long run today goes that well!

7 jenny August 7, 2010 at 1:39 pm

oh man, my 7 mile run this morning ended up being only 4. thats what i get for starting at noon and running in the direct sunlight. Whoops!

8 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope August 7, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I went to Salutation Nation this morning in Tampa. 178 yogi’s, so much fun!Check out my blog.

9 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm

What a busy day you have. Love sweet potato fries…..my favorite! Have a fun evening:)

10 The Linz August 7, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Wow what an awesome morning! I was actually running my 14 today too but missed the Boise Lululemon Yoga event. I am glad to hear it was such a success, I definitely have to try to make it next time. And way to go on your rocking 14 – Speedy Girl!

11 Rachael August 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Love yoga classes practiced outside, especially with a lot of people; there seems to be a group energy dynamic that takes place!
I enjoyed the hair post, too. I have an insane nest of hair on my head, and folks always comment on the bulk -thank you, I’m aware that there’s a red-hued dead sheep resting on my skull – please thin it out!
The cut looks good!

12 Sarah August 7, 2010 at 3:31 pm

i might have to try that gatorade trick. and i’ve been looking to get a camelbak for my long runs. what model do you have?

13 christina cadden August 7, 2010 at 3:32 pm

That smoothie looks good! Good job on your run. I should look into yoga. I have never done it but I hear it is really good for you .

14 Shawn August 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm

That smoothie looks amazing! One question…what is amazing grass? {ok two questions} where do you get it?

I think I need to start running!

15 kristina@goodnweird August 7, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Very impressive – run and yoga. I went to Salutation Nation in Burlington this morning as well. It was a great time. We were doing yoga right next to Lake Champlain.

16 Katy(The Balanced Foodie) August 7, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Had a great time practicing with you this morning! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Katy(The Balanced Foodie) August 7, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Oh and I noticed the URL is wrong, just subtract “the”. ๐Ÿ˜‰

18 Hayley August 7, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Congrats on completing such an active morning and living to tell about it! Especially in that Florida heat… you go, girl!!

19 Melissa August 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Great job on your run today–How funny to see that I ran 14 a few weeks ago (marathon training) and saw that I also ran it in 2:08!
I always mix Gatorade (well, G2 technically) and water for my long runs.

20 Dawn August 7, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Getting out before the sun is absolutely key to doing long runs in hot weather. I used to get up at 4:00 so I could eat before heading out for them when I lived in the midwest. It’s painful, but so worth it.

Sadly, I couldn’t make the Salutation Nation event around me this morning. Hopefully they’ll do another one next year! It’s definitely a cool idea.

21 Suzanne August 7, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Totally inspired by your early morning run!

22 runningwithsass August 7, 2010 at 6:42 pm

good call on not taking that trail!
the yoga looks so fun out in the middle of all that grass!

23 Sarah August 7, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Yeah for your great run!

I had breakfast in a park this morning and there was a teeny (3 person) yoga class going on. I wonder if they were participating? We don’t even have a lululemon in Spokane… (scratching my head). It looked very nice though. They were at the end part where you just lay there with a pillow over your eyes. I think I could do that kind of yoga ๐Ÿ˜€

24 Emilyeatsclean August 7, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Ohh I like the idea of oatmeal in the smoothie….I’m sure that helps to make it much more filling! Congrats on the great run! ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Casey August 8, 2010 at 6:08 am

You’re a machine! That must have been one powerful smoothie to keep you energized the whole day. Looks like I gotta try it now ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Kristen August 8, 2010 at 11:59 am

Those sweet potato fries look good, I may just have some for lunch! I need to look up your recipe b/c I forgot which seasoning work best.

BTW, your hair looks great, that is a very flaterring length on you. Layers make a huge difference…are you trying to go much longer?

27 Doug August 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Look at you go! Your a big time inspiration Meghann. This Florida humidity kills me trying to push through the miles, luckily we don’t get it year round.

28 Michelle August 8, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Meghann, Nice job on your run, that’s such a great way to start out the day! I’m training for my first marathon in October (the Mount Desert Island Marathon in Maine’s Acadia Nat Park) and do my long runs on Sunday too. Today was just 10 miles but it was tough – I think I’ve reached the point (mileage) where I need to have fuel mid-run either via camel-back or stashed water bottle. Nice call on the gatorade and I love your smoothie idea with the dry oats ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck on your future runs!

29 Sana August 9, 2010 at 2:00 am

I would loveee lovee to take a yoga class outdoors! It just seems awesomeee!

30 michele August 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

GREAT run!! The smoothie loks delic.