Yes, I Have a lot of Hair

by Meghann on August 6, 2010

God, I love getting my hair cut.

(Can you believe my last one was back in January?!)

I’ve been desperately trying to grow my hair out for a few months now, but the heat and humidity was getting to be a bit too much. I made an impromptu appointment this morning at Aveda and was so thankful that I did.

Before:

IMAG0015-1.jpg

The best part about Aveda is the complimentary tea. Mmm….

IMAG0016.jpg

I wish I had a nickel for every time a stylists reminds me that I have a lot of hair during a hair cut. I think i heard three separate stylists say it 5 times each today?

They’re always thoroughly surprised how much hair is on my head – as if I’m not already aware. I guess a head of hair like mine doesn’t sit in their chair every day?

IMAG0017.jpg

My mission today was to not lose any length, but instead get rid of some of the weight and bulk. My stylists added more layers and did a lot of texturizing. I walked out feeling like a million bucks. πŸ™‚

See the difference? Much better!

IMAG0020.jpg

My head already feels a lot lighter! They worked miracles with those scissors!

The haircut took a little longer than expected and I was starving by the time I was done. I immediately dug into a trail mix of cereal, dried fruit and dark chocolate edamame that I had packed as soon as I walked out the door.

[enter trip to Whole Foods and Publix here]

While shopping at Whole Foods I came across a container of Gazpacho in the deli section and was very tempted to take it home for dinner. But, after reviewing the list of ingredients – tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, onion, lemon juice, etc – I decided to make a batch of mine at home instead.

I purchased all the ingredients without any particular recipe in mind. I pretty much just bought what the label had on it. πŸ˜‰ After a little googling once I got home, I decided to just make up my own.

IMG_3946.jpg

Meghann’s Ultra Simple Gazpacho

• 2 large Tomatoes
  • 1 Cucumber
  • 1/2 Yellow Onion
  • 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
  • 1/2 a bunch of cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 1 Tbsp Vinegar
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Dash of Hot Sauce <– didn’t having any, but it could have used some.

Place everything in a blender/ food processor and let it go!

The recipe made two servings.

I had one with a garnish of avocado and cilantro.

With 1/2 a pita and mozzarella sandwich on the side for dipping.

For dessert a serving of vanilla ice cream with Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter and puffed brown rice. πŸ™‚

It’s going to be an early evening for me – I have a crazy day tomorrow and need my rest!

Here’s a sneak peak of my schedule:

• 4:45 am – wake up
  • 5:15 am – Run 14 miles
  • 7:45 am – Eat a quick breakfast
  • 9:00 am – Salutation Nation in downtown
  • 11:00 am – Blog
  • 12:00 pm – lunch
  • 1:00 pm – nap/ figure out what to do with Maddie for the night
  • 4:30 pm – secret bachlorette party mission
  • 6:30 pm – Sunday Morning – Christie’s bachlorette party!

Yep – LONG day!

Salutation Nation

ctaSalutationNation.jpg

If you are in the Orlando area and love yoga then I suggest you head to Lake Eola tomorrow morning at 9:00am for Salutation Nation! My favorite Orlando Power Yoga instructor will be hosting a FREE hour long class by the lake – how cool is that?

I’ll be there in my OPY t-shirt, so if you see me feel free to say HI! πŸ™‚

1 Katy @MonsterProof August 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I know your feeling in the stylist’s chair. I don’t get told that I have a lot of hair, but that it’s the hardest hair to comb through they’ve ever encountered! Guess that’s what you get with a lot of fine, curly, long hair. Yours looks great!

2 Heather August 6, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Love the haircut! I got one today as well and probably heard about how thick my hair is a million times. My hairdresser also thinned out my hair a little too – so much lighter!

Good luck with your run tomorrow!

3 Amanda @ Vegacious August 6, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Now you’ve got me in the mood for gazpacho!!! πŸ™‚

4 runningwithsass August 6, 2010 at 9:22 pm

i LOVE getting my hair thinned! I also always get told how much hair I have lol!
wow thats an early wake up call, GL!

5 Evan Thomas August 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Good luck on the run! I get told I have a thick head of hair a lot, too. I think I just have a thick head.

6 Dynamics August 6, 2010 at 9:30 pm

A good hairdresser can do wonders with thinning (not many know how to do it). How about shaving the back of your head underneath to get rid of some weight. When it is in a ponytail it looks so cute.

7 Sana August 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Eh? I feel like that would look funny!!!

8 jenny in new york August 6, 2010 at 10:14 pm

agreed! I’ve seen it before. Not my favorite look :-/ it just looks like lazy hair thinning to me

9 Lindsey @ Sound Eats August 6, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I’m getting my asana outside tomorrow, too! The lulu here is doing their salutation nation at the Jax Beach…so pumped for yoga on the beach! πŸ™‚

10 Lindsey @ Sound Eats August 6, 2010 at 9:34 pm

P.S. your hair looks great!

11 Meg August 6, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I LOVE gazpacho!! So fresh and summery!

Your hair looks great πŸ™‚

12 Stacey August 6, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Your hair looks great, I love it! I also have a lot of thick hair. It doesn’t get longer, it gets wider and puffier. Yuck! Kudos for you for having a 14mi run and yoga on schedule tomorrow!

13 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Your hair looks great! Always feels good to get those ends snipped off doesn’t it?

14 Dori August 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Your hair looks great! So doe your gazpacho garnish, fancy! You are so much better than me, I’d see the ingredients and be like “oh, good ingredients in a pre-packaged food, I must buy it!” I wouldn’t consider making my own.

15 Katy(The Balanced Foodie) August 6, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I’ll be there tomorrow too!! πŸ™‚

16 Kiran August 6, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Kudos on the homemade gazpacho! And the hair cut looks fab πŸ˜‰

Sadly won’t be able to make it to Lake Eola tomorrow. Enjoy!

17 Matt August 6, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I always feel amazing after a haircut πŸ™‚

18 momsgottheruns August 6, 2010 at 10:14 pm

hi meghann!!! First of all, I love your blog!!! It’s so completely down to earth! It’s absolutely encouraged me in my training (I’m going to be doing my first half marathon in December), and has inspired me to start my own blog!!! Your blog is one of my favorites!!! Keep up the good work!

19 fitnessandsunshine August 6, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Aww what a pretty haircut! It looks cute πŸ™‚

20 Brittany August 6, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I’m doing Salutation Nation here in Richmond as well. I have a feeling it’s going to be awesome!

Cute haircut.

21 biz319 August 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Love the hair cut! Can I have some of your hair??!! πŸ˜€ Mine is so thin, that’s what I hear when I go to the salon!

22 Angela August 6, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I have that same problem with my hair I have a lot of hair and every stylist I have ever gone to everytime they do my hair they always comment on how much hair I have! Your hair looks great!

23 pursuitofhealthfulness August 7, 2010 at 12:40 am

Love the haircut. I bet you’re going to be a speed demon today without all that extra weight!

It’s also really cool that you decided to bypass the store gazpacho and make your own. Much more fun that way!

Good luck with the day. Sounds pretty crazy, but I’m definitely jealous of the yoga session!

24 Courtney August 7, 2010 at 12:42 am

Uff, I have very thick hair too- and it is annoying when stylists continue to tell you that!! I love love love Aveda- try their Smooth Infusion serum… it comes in a small, light blue bottle and it works WONDERS on thick, frizzy hair! πŸ™‚

25 S August 7, 2010 at 1:21 am

ahhhhh, i SO wish I could be one of you ‘unlucky’ ones with a lot of hair…..i have really thin hair……i guess the grass is always greener on the other side!!

26 Marina August 7, 2010 at 3:55 am

I have thick hair too :)) But I hate having my hair cut, specially after the stylist did a massacre on it πŸ™
Good luck with your day!

27 inmytummy August 7, 2010 at 9:11 am

The same thing happens to me when I get my eyebrows waxed. The people ALWAYS comment on the fact that I have lots of eyebrow hair. I’m like, “Why do you think I’m here?!”

28 Caitlin August 7, 2010 at 10:10 am

I always get told I have so much hair as well. That and they ask if I have ever colored my hair (which I have not). It is jet black! lol

Oh and may I ask approx. how much an Aveda haircut is? Your hair looks fab by the way.

29 Faith August 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

Love your haircut! I’m always terrified of the hairdresser after one request for a trim turned into losing six inches of hair…I felt like a little boy!

30 Sam @ Holding Onto Healthy August 7, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I have the same deal… super thin hair but so much of it. When they tell me that I never know what to say! Do I say thank you? Is it a compliment? Most of the time I just laugh and nod.

31 Katie August 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm

LOVE the haircut! U look beautiful girl!!

xoxo

32 BroccoliHut August 7, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Haha, I always get the same reaction when I get my hair cut: “Girl, you got SO MUCH hair!”

33 Erin August 8, 2010 at 10:43 am

Oh, love the haircut, Meghann!

And I hear the SAME thing EVERY time I get a cut: “You have so much hair.” But I don’t mind – I like having a lot of hair.

And it’s amazing how a haircut can make everything feel lighter. I haven’t been for a cut in a while – I don’t blowdry my hair or use any heat on it, so it stays fairly healthy – but need to make an appointment soon. Do you always use Aveda? How much does a cut cost you there?

Again, it looks great! πŸ™‚

34 Meghann August 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Yes, I always go to Aveda. It’s cheap – $12 – and I always get a great cut thanks to all the instructors guiding the students πŸ™‚