Warm Applesauce French Toast

by Meghann on August 6, 2010

Happy Friday!! 🙂

Hold on! I promise the weekend will be here before you know it. 😉

I felt like my weekend started early this morning thanks to a few hits of the snooze button. After three days of 6+ mile runs and what I know will be an early start to a long day tomorrow, I decided I deserved a break. I slept in and did some light yoga and core work when I did finally rise. It was a very relaxing start to my Friday.

I treated myself again to a lovely breakfast of french toast for breakfast.

IMG_3907

This french toast was extra special thanks to the warm apple sauce/ cinnamon/ peanut butter mix I added to the top. It would have been EPIC if I had warm apples too, but fresh strawberries and cacao nibs did the trick for now.

IMG_3893

I recently purchased a wide angle lens off of e-bay and so far it’s a bit of a let down. :/

When it comes down to it, I really have no idea how to use it. Anyone have any wide angle advice? I know it’s not ideal for food photography, but I haven’t been impressed with any of the landscape shots I’ve taken either. Hopefully my friend Nicole will have some good advice during her photography session at the Healthy Living Summit next week. I think out of all the sessions that’s the one I’m looking forward to the most!

Just for fun: what’s the most important thing you’ve learned about photography in the last year? Mine has been learning how to change the white balance setting. Here’s a hint: if you’re indoors – 95% of the time you want to be on the tungston setting. Granted, I’m not a photo professional, but that tends to work for me!

1 Evan Thomas August 6, 2010 at 9:01 am

I didn’t really “learn” this, but my new computer has a setting that automatically straightens photos. And that is soooo useful to me who’s always off be a degree.

2 Erica August 6, 2010 at 9:02 am

Today is my day off too and I’m looking forward to letting my body get some good R&R 🙂 What a beautiful breakfast. I wouldn’t have thought to put applesauce on top of french toast, but it sounds yummy. Photography lessons? Oh gosh…get a point and shoot so you don’t have to think much? hehe. I’m not really a good photographer!

3 Kristie August 6, 2010 at 9:02 am

Warm applesauce, now that’s a toast topper I definitely have to try.

I use the tungsten setting on my camera aaaaall the time too when I’m under nearly any lamps in my house. Otherwise the pictures just come out way too warm.

4 rebecca lustig August 6, 2010 at 9:10 am

i wish i was more ‘photography enlightened’… i’m always amazed by the beauty you guys are able to capture through a lens.

happy friday!

5 Chase August 6, 2010 at 9:11 am

I really want to get a professional-ish camera… my point & shoot leaves me feeling like I’m just not capturing what I’m truly seeing! Thanks for the tips!

6 runningwithsass August 6, 2010 at 9:29 am

one of my goals is to REALLY learn how to use a DSLR camera, sorry your new lens isn’t great!

7 newleafeats August 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

I shoot with a fancy point-and-shoot with manual settings, but I sorely miss the DSLR I carted around in college (I was the staff photographer for my college newspaper). I’ve learned more about staging and natural light than anything. And having to do without Photoshop definitely makes all that more important. I’m hoping and praying that I can either recieve a camera for a birthday or Christmas gift, or save up enough money for a Canon XS.

8 Amanda August 6, 2010 at 9:48 am

I wish I had an idea about how to use my camera. There are so many beautiful pictures waiting to be taken around my farm and it’s a shame I can’t capture them 🙁

9 pursuitofhealthfulness August 6, 2010 at 9:58 am

It’s always fun to play around with photography settings. I used to big into portraits, so it was a little difficult to transition to food. But now it’s cool to see how much progress I’ve made!

10 Trish August 6, 2010 at 10:02 am

I am clueless when it comes to photography. And I really wish I could learn.

11 Dione August 6, 2010 at 10:06 am

Your breakfast looks yummy! So glad it’s Friday!

12 Sarah August 6, 2010 at 10:08 am

i just got a fancy point & shoot so it’s been fun experimenting with the manual settings!

13 Molly August 6, 2010 at 10:15 am

yum! I am craving frenchtoast now! I love mine with shaved coconut and (grilled) pineapple. mmmm

xo-Molly

14 It All Changes August 6, 2010 at 10:55 am

I still have a point and shoot but I’ve learned no flash and macro settings are best. And odd angles often make for more interesting pictures.

15 Lizz @ leading the good life August 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

No flash + macro setting is what I was going to say, too! Now when my friends take pictures with a flash I make them retake it without…I’m probably annoying, but the pics are so much better! 🙂

16 Kelly August 6, 2010 at 11:05 am

As with the above comment, macro and no flash, and natural light!

17 Nicole August 6, 2010 at 11:23 am

I was really disappointed with my wide angle at first too, but once you get into that groove, I think you’ll really like it!

If you can get your cute little puppy to sit still, try having her look up at you and get as close as you can to her, with still being able to focus (at the widest your lens will go) and it gives this really awesome kinda distorted look, where the spot closest to your lens will be bigger, so her head! It makes really cute photos, haha.

Like this: http://digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/wide-angle-lens-12-1.jpg
or
or

18 Mary August 6, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I wish I knew more about photography. I don’t though, and I just bought a DSLR. haha!

19 inmytummy August 6, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I’m going to have to agree with you about the white balance. I used to wonder why my pictures always came out so yellow.