more ยป" />

Hot Olives

by Meghann on August 5, 2010

As many times as I’ve explored downtown Winter Park, I can’t believe there are still areas I’ve never been to!

Tonight I discovered another one of them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Isn’t this area the cutest? My dream house would be just around the corner. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Earlier this week I found a restaurant.com deal for Hot Olives – a chic and modern restaurant in downtown Winter Park – and decided to purchase it on a whim. The restaurant had a great menu and an inviting website (I’m a sucker for websites). Plus, it gave me an excuse to invite my sister and Megan along to help me spend it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok, so we weren’t going out just to use the gift certificate; we also had a graduation to celebrate! Megan officially graduates from UCF on Saturday. I’m so proud of my little engineer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hot Olives more than lived up to it’s website. The inside was low lit and romantic, while the outside had a modern, southern flair to it.

We chose to sit outside. Luckily, a late afternoon thunderstorm had brought slightly cooler temps to the area.

Our meal began with hot white rolls and a delicious salty olive tapenade.

The olive tapenade was a welcome change from the traditional olive oil and spices usually served at restaurants. The three of us gobbled it up with out a problem.

Once the bread was gone we licked the plate clean. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hot Olives had an amazing salad menu. There were over a dozen choices and it took me three rounds of the server coming to our table before I made up my mind. I ended up ordering the Tuna Nicoise simply because it had the most toppings. When it was placed in front of me I instantly fell in love with all of the of colors, textures, and flavors.

Yum!

However, it was HUGE and I could only eat half. ๐Ÿ™‚

Left overs!

After dinner we took a stroll through the downtown area and stopped for FroYo at a place down the street.

I had a mix of flavors with lots of fruit, chocolate, and some crunch.

Snacks of the day included:

Lunch was actually a pretty inspired creation if I do say so myself.

You know those ideas you get when you’re terribly hungry and everything sounds good? Well, this is one of them and it was freaking fantastic – starving or now.

A baked sweet potato topped with honey peanut butter and dried fruit.

Don’t think about it. Just try it. You can thank me later. ๐Ÿ™‚

On the side some fresh green beans and peanut butter pretzels.

I ended up giving half of the pb pretzels to Maddie. Having the pretzels on top of the peanut butter topped sweet potato was a little PB overload. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tomorrow is Friday and I am so ready for it.

Good Night!

1 gavrielski August 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm

That sweet potato concoction looks AMAZING–I literally want to go make it tomorrow! I usually end up ordering tuna nicoise salads for the same reason (most toppings!)! Enjoy your evening!

2 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 5, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I would have never thought to top a sweet potato with honey peanut butter….sounds so good! Will have to try that sometime soon:)

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 5, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Haha I remember seeing you tweet about this place!

That sweet potato with pb and raisins looks so good I want to take a bite…even though I’m allergic to pb. Now THAT’S saying something!

4 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 5, 2010 at 11:31 pm

PB topped sweet potato sounds amazing. I love sweet potatoes topped with cinnamon and candied walnuts – so good and simple!

5 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 5, 2010 at 11:54 pm

What fun! I love that ‘paparazi’ shot of your sis!

6 Krystina August 6, 2010 at 12:00 am

I was intrigued by Hot Olives. I may just have to stop by next time I’m in WP!

7 Stephanie@ avocado nation August 6, 2010 at 12:16 am

The bread and salads look awesome. What a cute little restaurant.

8 Sana August 6, 2010 at 1:19 am

I am prolly the only person in earth who has never had a sweet potato!!! I want to see pics of your dream house ๐Ÿ™‚ One week till HLS can’t waittt!

9 amanda August 6, 2010 at 7:30 am

hot olives just sounds like a cute place to dine at. and those rolls look amazing.
delicious rolls are always a key way to start a meal!

10 Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) August 6, 2010 at 7:39 am

Aw, Winter Park! This is making me crave Florida like no other. My favorite restaurant there is bospherous (sp?) They have the most amazing salads there… ever. ever. Next time I go I definitely stopping at Hot Olives to celebrate my newfound love for the supersavory little things.

hope you’re having a beautiful day!!
xox

11 Kelly August 6, 2010 at 10:05 am

I like the name of the restaurant, that would be enough to convince me to try it out.

12 Jenny August 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Seriously you Florida bloggers are killing me — I had never heard of self serve froyo before reading them and now I want it so badly!

13 kaitlinwithhoney August 6, 2010 at 3:05 pm

That sweet potato combination sounds unreal! I have to try that next time.

14 myFOODevents August 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Interesting combo, I will have to try it sometime

15 worleebird August 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm

just seeing the a corner of Park Ave. makes me REALLY miss Orlando… Thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

16 sirenjess August 6, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I LOVE sweet potato with peanut butter. I like to add cinnamon as well. You should try it with almond butter too.

17 Shanna, like Banana August 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I’ve been to Winter Park a few times (my Mom lives in Port Orange) and I think it’s such a fantastic town. There is also a wine bar where you put money on a plastic card and go around the entire space and do your own tasting. It’s such fun!