Negative Splits

by Meghann on August 4, 2010

Good Morning! 🙂

Thank you for all your kind words last night regarding Abbie and Maddie. I think I stayed up a little too late last night re-reading the hundreds of posts on here that refer to either of my puppies in the last two years. Abbie may be gone, but her memory is still alive and well on here.

Despite the late night, I still had to push myself out of bed this morning for an early 6 miler.

My schedule is a little mashed up this week thanks to a bachelorette party I’ll be attending Saturday evening. I wasn’t even going to pretend to fool myself into thinking a long run would be possible the Sunday morning following the party – I may be committed, but I ain’t crazy – so my runs had to be pushed back.

Instead of running Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday per usual; this week it will be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday. I can’t emphasize enough how important flexibility is in marathon training. As long as you give you’re self plenty of notice to make adjustments ahead of time, fitting in all your runs while still having a life is possible.

My goal for today’s 6 miler was maintaining negative splits with each mile. I started off slow and gradually increased the speed for each mile by 15 seconds or so. Negative splits are key in marathon training because you never know how the race is going to start off and you want to get your body used to being able to make up the gain.

Here’s how my splits broke down:

• Mile 1:  9:25
  • Mile 2:  9:09
  • Mile 3:  8:55
  • Mile 4:  8:47
  • Mile 5:  8:43
  • Mile 6:  8:36

Not bad, not bad. Hopefully in another month I will be starting out in the 8:40 range and decreasing from there for these runs, but for now I think this is a great start. 🙂

Breakfast was a little different this morning.

IMG_3678

Eggs in a basket anyone?

IMG_3684

I usually don’t crave eggs or hot meals after my runs, but for some reason this combination was on my mind this morning. After my shower I cut a hole in two slices of whole wheat bread and placed them on a hot skillet. I scrambled two eggs (I HATE runny yolks) and dropped them in each hole. A couple minutes later I flipped the toast and breakfast was served.

IMG_3687

I slathered one piece with preserves (yum!) and left one plain (boring!).

On the side a mini fruit salad of fresh strawberries and a sliced plum.

IMG_3691

Twitter Saves Lives

This morning Katy posted a great article about a young triathlete who used twitter to alert rescuers when she crashed on a triathlon course.  The story is pretty amazing. She took a wrong turn, flew over her handlebars, and even though her cell phone coverage was too spotty to make a phone call, she was able to tweet ‘Help I’ve Crashed’ to her followers, who in return alerted race officials of her fall. Ambulance sirens were heard within minutes of sending the tweet.

Pretty unreal, right? (Full Story Here)

I try to run or ride with my cell phone when ever possible, but I must admit the thought to bring my phone on a race has never crossed my mind. I guess now, I’ll have to think twice because you really never know when you’ll need it.

1 britchickruns August 4, 2010 at 9:18 am

Wow, who would’ve thought Twitter could be so useful!?
I really should start running with something..atm, I run without anything at all (ie no mobile, money or ID) cos I never had pockets. Though I bought new running shorts yesterday, so now I can 😀
Great splits!

2 rebecca lustig August 4, 2010 at 9:26 am

i love eggs in a basket!! there was once a time i thought I had made the recipe up… woops hehe

have a great day– and those times are fantastic!

3 Evan Thomas August 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

I saw that on The Today Show yesterday. Definitely a scary story; I never carry my phone with me running because it’s so clunky. Makes me rethink that.

4 Kalli@fitandfortysomething August 4, 2010 at 9:30 am

Just wanted to share my favorite dog quote with you. “dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.”

5 carly August 4, 2010 at 9:31 am

I just got around to reading last night’s post, and I cried. My coworker and I were just talking about this the other day, how each pet is special and unique, and though we will have many different pets in our lives, each one plays such an important role. It was a beautiful tribute to two wonderful dogs!

Girl, this is funny because I was seriously craving eggs in a basket this morning. I went with oatmeal, but I think I may have this exact same breakfast tomorrow.

6 Marilou August 4, 2010 at 9:33 am

Reminds me of a CSI episode where the girl texted the license plate of the murderer 🙂

7 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini August 4, 2010 at 9:34 am

What did we all do before mobile phones? There were no mobiles or really internet when I was at college but I can’t remember how we managed!!!! 🙂

8 It All Changes August 4, 2010 at 9:39 am

That is amazing she could use twitter. Such a great use of social media.

9 Victoria August 4, 2010 at 10:01 am

Wow! I have to admit that I rarely bring my phone with me on my runs. I do, however, always tell my husband when I’m going and about how long I’ll be gone, and since he knows where I usually run, I hope he’d come find me if he thought anything was wrong, or alert someone else about it.

10 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com August 4, 2010 at 10:04 am

I use my phone for music so I have it with me unless it’s a triathlon.

11 newleafeats August 4, 2010 at 10:13 am

That’s amazing about the Twitter thing! I don’t have internet access with my phone, but maybe I should at least carry my phone more often!

12 mybeautifulair August 4, 2010 at 10:27 am

Great pics! really colorful!

13 anotherannabanana August 4, 2010 at 10:35 am

What a crazy story! I need to start at least running with ID. It’s hard though because a lot of my running clothing doesn’t have pockets. Perhaps it’s time to invest in a roadID…

14 Kelly August 4, 2010 at 10:37 am

Those are great splits! That’s a crazy Twitter story, I never bring my phone on runs maybe I should.

15 Sarah August 4, 2010 at 10:40 am

wow, that is crazy! i never bring my phone but i might need to reconsider… i’ve always thought about getting a roadID too. maybe i should invest. i once was chased & bit by 2 dogs on a run and that was scary enough. i was only a mile from home, so not too bad but it could have been much worse.

16 Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 4, 2010 at 10:53 am

That’s an awesome story! My bike broke & was unrideable during a tri, and I wished I had a phone with me- it made me realize I should take one on long rides though. 😉

17 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 4, 2010 at 11:06 am

She must have had a lot of followers. I’m not sure that would have any effect if I were to do it.

18 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine August 4, 2010 at 11:15 am

Yikes, I never bring my phone when I run or work out. I’ll make sure to do that, thanks for the reminder! 🙂

19 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife August 4, 2010 at 11:30 am

awesome job on the neg splits!! It’s so important to be flexible–we’re on vacation and I fooled myself into thinking we’d do a quick run every morning. We took a few days off and are now running every other day. Makes much more sense 🙂

20 Kate August 4, 2010 at 11:58 am

Yum – I’ve found that spreading blueberry preserves ON my eggs and toast is extremely tasty! Who would have thought??

21 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm

You’re fassst! Awesome run, Meghann!

22 Katy August 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Meghann,

Thanks for sharing that triathlon link…it really shook me up this morning! I got lost on my first tri (at Moss Park!) and tried asking a group of Boy Scouts how to get back on the course. They had no idea!

It is a great reminder that when you work out — even at hosted events — you have to have a backup safety plan.

23 Stephanie@ avocado nation August 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I love eggs in a basket! But the best part for me is the runny yolk. Crazy story. I never bring my phone either.

24 Emily August 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm

That’s a great reminder as to why its important to carry cell phones when your not running a residential/familiar area. And I just wanted to say good luck with your marathon training! I just ran my first half- the Rock N Roll Chicago half marathon and I’m insanely jealous your running in Chicago in October. Running through the city is so unbelievable- all the sights and an amazingly inspiring crowd made for a great first half experience (I didn’t even turn on my ipod the entire race!). Maybe I’ll be doing the Chicago Marathon in the next fall!

25 runningwithsass August 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm

thats so awesome about twitter helping that girl!

26 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 4, 2010 at 6:07 pm

wow – now that is one good use for Twitter indeed!!!

27 amanda August 4, 2010 at 7:49 pm

i don’t know how you wake up so early and go running. it seriously impresses and motivates me. but more so just impresses me.

i loved your pups post. they are/were both lucky, lucky dogs!

28 Lauren August 4, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Could not agree with you more! Sometimes I get so ingrained into thinking that any part of my training gets interrupted in any slight way, my entire week is worthless. Seriously, that’s just stupid! You have to be willing to be flexible, just like any other aspect of your life. 🙂
Hope your day was awesome Meghann!

29 kaitlinwithhoney August 4, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I loooooove eggs in a basket! I have never tried them with scrambled eggs or with preserves, though… interesting!

30 Dynamics August 4, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I carry my ID, my phone and my pepper/mace spray. The spray is more for the wild animals then anything. I also leave a note in my car, so people know where I headed if something goes wrong.