more ยป" />

Remembering

by Meghann on August 3, 2010

Cravings change. Obviously.

Dinner came and I wasn’t feeling the pressed sandwich anymore. Sigh.

Instead I was feeling Nachos. :)

Mmm… much better.

I started with some onion, peppers, tempeh, mushrooms, and frozen corn that I heated with taco seasoning on the stove top.

I didn’t have any chips on hand, so I created my own by toasting a tortilla under the broiler then shredding the tortillas in chip shapes. The shredded toasted tortilla acted as my base of the nachos, the tempeh mix was the filling, and tomato, olives, salsa, cheese, and plain yogurt were the topping. :)

I think I discovered the world’s best dessert this evening. :)

Vanilla ice cream topped with a dollop of Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dream Peanut Butter and sprinkled with a little granola.

Whoa! It was like liquid dark chocolate reeses cup mixed with ice cream. Heaven in a bowl I say. :)

Earlier this afternoon I had some plain yogurt with preserves and Kix cereal as a snack.

Remembering Abbie

On August 1st, 2009 I lost my best friend.

DSCN3282.JPG

RIP Abbie :(

Abbie was my first fur child and saw me through some really hard times. She passed away suddenly at barely two years old and I still miss her everyday

Abbie played a big role in the first year of this blog (in fact the second post is dedicated entirely to her) and in honor of Abbie I decided to put together a collection of my favorite Abbie posts.

Enjoy.

A Year of Maddie

A mere two days after Abbie passed I couldn’t take my empty apartment anymore. On August 3rd, 2009 I welcomed Maddie into my life.

DSCN3391.JPG

In honor of a year of Maddie here are some of my favorite posts featuring her. :)

1 Megan August 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I just had some Dark Chocolate Dreams pb earlier today with graham crackers! So good!

2 Alyssa August 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

It’s really hard to lose a pet, they have such a special place in our lives. I really admire how close you were/are to Abbie and Maddie, you’re such a caring owner!

If you’re feeling crafty, maybe you can make a scrapbook of photos of Abbie?

My family lost our dog a little over a year ago. He was especially close to my dad, so I thought I would do something special for him to remember our dog by. I’m making a scrapbook of photos of our old dog with our family, it’s fun and a great way to remember and relive the memories we had with him. Even though we will always remember him, it’s fun to have a book to flip through and see the memories :)

3 Kelly August 3, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Thinking of Abbie still makes me cry. I miss her. :( She really did have a great life.

4 Erin August 3, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Oh what cute doggies you have/had. I read back through at some of your Abbie posts and had tears streaming down my face, breaks my heart. Looks like she had an awesome life and was beyond loved :).

5 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Aww what a sweet tribute to little Abbie :)

6 Sarah August 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I feel this post in my heart! My dogs are such a ginormous part of my life, I can’t imagine how hard it was to have your best friend taken from you like that. I’ll be thinking about Abbie today!

7 peachesnkate August 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Pets have such a special way to touch our hearts and bless our lives!

8 Marilou August 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I can’t wait to have my own pup! Seeing your little girl on your blog almost makes me cave every day hehe :)

9 runningwithsass August 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm

so sorry to hear about abbie, I didn’t know. I lost a puppy two years ago after having her for only 6 weeks, and got sweet bella 2 weeks later.

10 Cheryl H. August 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I started reading your blog at the time that you lost Abbie ~ I know how heartbroken you were. I cried for you and Abbie. I didn’t read your blog for a bit after that, but I got very curious how everything turned out, so I found you again through HTP and now I am a dedicated reader. I love your Jack Russell and I am a big fan. I am glad that you have a loving pet in your life ~ they add such a quality!!

Thanks for sharing!

11 Dynamics August 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm

It is so hard to lose a pet. I cannot imagine a sudden death. My beautiful lab was with us for 14 years. As an “animal assisted” therapy dog he helped so many child abuse children. I still am not ready to get another dog at this time. I am enjoying my time puppysitting my daughters beagle.

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 3, 2010 at 10:02 pm

That’s so sad that Abbie passed away so young. I would be so sad if my puppy passed away.

13 thewhatkateateblog August 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I loved the compilation of dog posts. You are clearly a fabulous dog Mom!

14 Jenna August 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Awe I can’t believe it’s been a year alreay! I remember when you blogged about it!
But I am so glad now you have maddie!!

15 fitnessandsunshine August 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Aw, what a tribute. I’m sorry for your loss. You are clearly a wonderful mommy for doggies though, since Maddie is so happy with you. I’m sure that for the time Abbie was with you, she felt very happy and loved.

16 KatieC August 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Thinking of you on Abbie’s anniversary. So sad, but you took wonderful care of her during her too-short life. I hope you and Maddie have many, many happy years together!

17 Laury @thefitnessdish August 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I am so sorry about you precious Abbie…shes was adorable, and looks so sweet. That was a great tribute to her!

18 Nina August 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I just went back and read all your Abbie posts and tears were streaming down my face. I have a dog that has also seen me through a really tough break up and lots of other major milestones over the past 2.5 years and I can’t imagine losing her. You gave Abbie such a fantastic life and now she is up in doggie heaven with all the bones to eat and squirrels to chase that she could ever want. Everything happens for a reason and Abbie leaving you brought little Maddie into your life!

19 BethT August 3, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I’m still sad for you about Abbie. At least you have some great memories and another furbaby to snuggle.

20 babycakes August 3, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I just re-read your tribute to Abbie and started crying. I cannot even bare to think about life without my pup, but I know that day will come eventually. Pets are SO precious and I hate that she was taken from you much too soon. I’m so glad you have so many wonderful memories with her. She was so sweet! HUGS

21 Maddie (the person) August 4, 2010 at 12:34 am

It always makes me laugh when you talk about your dog, since you spell her nickname and proper name the same ways I do! She seems so special. I’m glad you were able to find her!

P.S. Those nachos look amazing! Way to think on your toes when you discovered no chips!

22 Stephanie@ avocado nation August 4, 2010 at 1:36 am

I remember when you lost Abbie. I was so sad for you and so happy when you got Maddie. Congratulations on a great year together!

23 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 4, 2010 at 1:48 am

I like that you always post your desserts. I’m always so tired of photos by the end of the day, they rarely get they’re photo taken — oopsie.

What a sweet post. I miss my pup. RIP Phoebe.

24 pursuitofhealthfulness August 4, 2010 at 2:15 am

I started reading your blog after Maddie came along, so I never really knew about Abbie. After looking back at your posts, it seems obviously that she was a very sweet and very loved dog. I’m sorry you had the experience the loss of her, but I am glad that you were able to then welcome Maddie into your life.

25 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini August 4, 2010 at 4:41 am

I totally teared up when I read your tribute to Abbie. As a long time fur mum who has had to have three cats and a dog put down over the years I totally empathise. It is so hard.

But then I cheered myself up reading about Maddie’s antics!

26 runningaroundnormal August 4, 2010 at 6:26 am

I can’t imagine what you went through when Abby passed. RIP Abby :(
So glad you have Maddy in your life now!

27 Paula August 4, 2010 at 7:48 am

:( Rest in peace, Abbie. I can’t imagine how hard it was to lose her like that. I’m glad Maddie helped comfort you, though. I’m sure Abbie is happy that you’re happy.

28 luna August 4, 2010 at 8:06 am

Lovely memories and the lovely “now”. Pets are so precious!

29 anotherannabanana August 4, 2010 at 8:57 am

What a sweet post featuring your puppies. I have doggy fever too — glad I’m going to visit friends and family this weekend. I get to spend time with two cats and a brand new puppy. Hopefully it will keep my “I need a pet RIGHT NOW” fever at bay…

30 Kelly August 4, 2010 at 8:58 am

Aww I still remember reading your post when Abbie died, it made me cry :( RIP Abbie. At least you have Maddie to keep you on your toes now.

31 Marina August 4, 2010 at 9:21 am

What a sweet post.
I know how it is to lose a pet, I’ve lost two cats and I still remember them, and how amazing and unique they were. Animals are such great companions in life.

32 sweetersalt August 4, 2010 at 9:26 am

I just read your “Tribute to Abbie” post and it brought tears to my eyes. Dogs are such amazing creatures and truly are members of the family. I feel for your loss and am happy to know you have a new little lady in your life. I call my little guy my fur baby too!

33 newleafeats August 4, 2010 at 10:09 am

A few months ago my husband and I lost our first fur-baby. We brought the 4-month-old terrier-mix home on February 28th. That weekend Jack came down with Parvo. A week later, though, he recovered and he spent the next month and 3/4 living perfectly healthy and lively until suddenly, exactly two months after we brought him home, he died mysteriously and entirely without warning. It’s heartbreaking, and I still can’t think on it too hard. We haven’t brought a new pup in our life yet since we can’t yet afford one (Jack was made possible with our tax refund), and we’re moving next month anyway, but we’re hoping to open our home to another fur-baby soon.

34 ActiveEggplant August 4, 2010 at 10:27 am

So sad that you lost Abbie. Looks like she was an absolutely wonderful little pup & how great that you have all of her antics recorded on the blog. And although Maddie will certainly never replace Abbie, it’s great that you have another little bundle of fun to share the fun with!

35 Kate August 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

Oh my goodness…losing a pet is so hard. Especially since animals are way more pleasant to be around than some people. ;) It is wonderful that you welcomed another love into your life in the form of Maddie. Not a replacement, but part of the healing process!

36 rc1001 August 4, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I’m glad you found some comfort through Maddie. Losing a pet is so hard to go through. My boyfriend and I just got our first puppy together about 5 months ago, and he has become some an integral part of our lives. I couldn’t imagine losing him!!

37 Amy August 4, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I loved reading all of your posts about Abbie and Maddie. I am so sorry about your loss. I can’t imagine how painful it must have been especially since it was so sudden. Pets are super special and I can’t imagine the pain you must have felt. I am so happy you have Maddie in your life. Your right, Abbie would have loved her and is probably looking down on you two smiling every day.

38 Lacey @ Lake Life August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm

R.I.P Abbie.

I remember reading your post about Abbie’s passing and re-telling the story to every pet owner I know. My parent’s dog ( actually my dog until I moved to a no-pets-allowed apt) has severe allergies and is always on some sort of special food, oil, steroid, drop or pill. It’s sad to know that something done with such good intentions could go so tragically wrong.

We all can see Abbie had a great life for the short time you had her, and she was very lucky to have you for a mommy!

39 TorontoGirloutWest August 5, 2010 at 12:24 am

I know I never met your Abbie but I honestly remember that day like it was yesterday. I still remember gasping and shedding some tears when I heard she had passed.

Since that awful day I have acquired my own puppy (Daisy Cakes) and have fallen completely in love. My fur baby owns a little piece of my heart. I don’t even want to imagine going through what you experienced.

One thing is for certain – no one could have loved your little Abbie more. And you should always be proud of that fact. Your Abbie was loved. And now your Maddie is too.