Packing One Thing and Wanting Another

by Meghann on August 3, 2010

Last night I took on the role of responsible & healthy Meghann by packing a healthy green lunch to take to work today. I had to run some errands during my lunch break and knew I wouldn’t make it home in time to make lunch.

Last night I assembled a salad of spinach, tabouli, olives, tomatoes, and mushrooms with some wasa crackers and a plum on the side.

I assumed a refreshing lunch like the one above would be just what I was craving on a hot summer day like today. Turns out I was wrong. The problem with packing you lunch the night before is you’ll have no idea what mood you will be in when it comes time to eat. As my lunch hour loomed closer and closer, the more I realized the salad wasn’t really what I was craving. A hot pressed sandwich was more of my idea of good eats at the time.

While out running my errands I was very tempted to stop and buy what I really wanted, but money is a bit tight at the moment and I couldn’t justify spending $10 on a sandwich when I had a perfectly good lunch waiting for me in the fridge.

So, I ate the salad anyways.

But, was not happy about it. :(

It was good – no doubt about it – but when you’re heart isn’t it then you might as well be eating plastic. Le sigh.

Pity party for one please… 😉

Earlier I had some PB Pretzels (something I was actually were craving at the time 😉 )

Maybe, I’ll have that pressed sandwich for dinner tonight? 😉

1 britchickruns August 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh gah, I hate it when that happens! ie ALL THE TIME in my world 😛

2 pursuitofhealthfulness August 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm

During the school year I usually pack my breakfasts and lunches the night before. Since the creation of overnight oats, the breakfast part hasn’t been so hard. But, lunch is just so variable! 4/5 I end up enjoying what I packed, but the other 1/5 really stinks.

3 Marilou August 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I pack my lunch every day and when I have a class after work, it’s 2 lunch … I’ve grown accustomed to “eat what you have, not what you want” .. that’s why I always make dinner at home with a vengeance :)

4 atastelife August 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I hate it when that happens!!!

5 Heather August 3, 2010 at 1:59 pm

That is the worst – some days I have to pack lunch and dinner and never want either meal…

Never a good day!

6 gloriousgreens August 3, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I hear ya. I pack my lunch almost everyday and there are many days when I have to talk myself into it. Congrats!

7 Kelly August 3, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I hate that about packing my lunches, then your still not satisfied after your meal which in my case leads to snacking.

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 3, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Oh yeah, sometimes I pack a lunch and then go home because I don’t like what I packed. I just leave it in the fridge at work for the next day

9 Sarah August 3, 2010 at 2:26 pm

yeah…. welcome to my life. i’m in grad school and pack my lunch at least 3-4 times/wk. i can’t justify spending $8 -10 on crappy university food court food (even if it does sound better)… i just remind myself that i’m not contributing to the profits of the university that way :) but it does stink…

10 mydynamicjourney August 3, 2010 at 2:27 pm

What is a “pressed” sandwich?

11 kitkat1126 August 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm

That happened to me today too. I was really excited last night when I packed up my lunch but today I just wasn’t feeling it. I ate it anyway with the same thinking – dinner will have to be really good!

I do try to leave a ton of extra “sides” in my office fridge (fruit, veggies, slices of turkey, string cheese, etc) so that on a day I’m really not feeling my lunch I have alternatives that will still fill me up without having to spend extra $

ps: I’m a new follower. Hi and love your blog! :)

12 Karen August 3, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Ironic… I was just thinking about that myself. I have packed a lunch for the last 2 days and haven’t eaten it! I should take a lesson from you and eat it anyhow – it would save me $$

13 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) August 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I have the same problem! That’s why I usually end up packing enough to give me at least a couple of options when it comes time to eat. (Usually just my “sides,” not my main entree.)

14 newleafeats August 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I notice that if I wait too long to eat (ie. several HOURS after the hunger pangs set in), the last thing I want to eat is something “fresh” or “raw” or “chilled.” I want it cooked and I want it hot, and nothing else will do.

15 Carolyn @ August 3, 2010 at 2:46 pm

That happens to me all the time, especially when I bring salads for lunch. I really like more substantial food for lunch.

16 It All Changes August 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I’m currently lucky I live upstairs from my office and have my full kitchen at my convenience. But while teaching I was constantly in this situation. I learned to pack two options that wouldn’t spoil. That way I could have a choice on the picky days.

17 Amanda August 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I’m in the same situation today. I packed a hearty salad full of fresh veggies I actually picked out of my own garden, but it just wasn’t what I wanted today. It’s a shame to waste food by eating it on a day you don’t enjoy it, isn’t it!?

18 Brittany August 3, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I bought those TJ’s pb pretzels because you made them look so good and now they’re sitting at my desk getting devoured at a much faster rate than healthy. I need to hide them away and allot only certain portions a day.

19 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife August 3, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I always see your PB pretzels and am SO JEALOUS!! They look super yummy :)

20 Stephanie@ avocado nation August 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I know how you feel. I used to hate those days when I packed my lunch and then just didn’t want it when the time came. It was very adult of you to eat it and at least you still get another chance at the sandwich come dinner time!

21 rebecca lustig August 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm

ahh this reminds me of when i go grocery shopping and try to plan my dinners for the week… how am i supposed to know what I’m going to want three nights from now?!

ugh. i feel you girl. hah

pb pretzels, though, are a great choice

have a marvelous day!

22 freshman5k August 3, 2010 at 4:39 pm

It’s tricky to plan way ahead sometimes!

23 lowandbhold August 3, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I have that problem so often!

24 Dione August 3, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I totally get you. It is the worst craving something completely different than what you packed. :(

25 Ashleigh August 3, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I have that problem all of the time!! It drives me crazy! I packed lunch today and ate something else… wooops! At least it was free and I can eat my lunch tomorrow… but I probably won’t be in the mood for it then :)

26 amanda August 3, 2010 at 5:13 pm

i was totally going to suggest the hot sandwich for dinner. gotta satisy the craving!

it stinks when you’re not feeling what you have packed. makes things so not enjoyable. at least it looks tasty and pretty via blog!

27 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 3, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I so hate it when that happens!

Like a crazy person, I just commented on your “new friend post” like you wrote it today! I clicked over from twitter (first time to come to your blog:) and got confused. Guess I’ll have to click through some of your posts and find out what name you ended up going

Anyway, your blog is adorable and I’m looking forward to coming back!

28 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 3, 2010 at 5:32 pm

haha yes – that certainly is one of the drawbacks of making your lunch the night before!!!

29 christina cadden August 3, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I had a salad packed for my lunch today as well. But I did not want it so I ended up eating a bean burrito!

30 Lauren August 3, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I couldn’t agree more! This is the number one reason why I don’t pack more often. I never know what I will be in the mood for. It’s so nice being able to come home for lunch and eat whatever I crave.

The salad did look good, but I say, go for that sammie for dinner! :)