more ยป" />

Unlimited? or not

by Meghann on August 2, 2010

It’s Monday night! You know what that means? That means I am currently riding a post hot yoga high. Love it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nothing beats hot yoga after a weekend of running. Nothing.

Before class I had the last carrot cake scuffin I made over the weekend.

Hot yoga was once again fabulous tonight.

What I love the most about our instructor, Kelly, is how she tells stories while we flow from one pose to the next. My mind zeros in on her voice and zones out everything else. All the worries and stress from the day seem to melt away as my mind empties to nothingness. As my mind relaxes, my muscles begin to follow suit and before I know it the eighty minutes are up and I’m lying in savasana.

Kelly informed me tonight that she’s running a $75 unlimited monthly special (it’s normally $100). I’m debating suspending my gym membership for the time being and doing the unlimited yoga. Now that I’m focusing on marathon training I haven’t been able to go to the gym as much as I want to and honestly I would rather have those funds go to yoga instead. Tempting – very tempting.

What do you think – gym membership or unlimited hot yoga?

Dinner tonight featured a tray of roasted okra and carrot fries.

Actually, they were only part of dinner, but they were my favorite. ๐Ÿ™‚

The okra and carrot fries were joined by tempeh fries and a slice of creamy mozzarella.

The mozzarella was a lat minute addition to the plate, but I really think it brought everything together. A nice cold bite of cheese between the warm bites of the fries really please the palette.

BBQ Sauce and Ketchup were my sauces of choice for the evening.

If you close your eyes tempeh fries taste almost like chicken fries. Almost.

My evening ended with half of a Patriotic Blondie from the freezer.

Does anyone ever watch The Best Thing I Ever Ate on the Food Network? I’ve never seen it before tonight, but so far I’ve watched two episodes in the last hour and I love it. I’m now drooling over my keyboard and suddenly inspired to drive all over the country trying all these places!

I wonder if I were to contribute to an episode of The Best Thing I Ever Ate what I would feature. Hmmm… something to think about…

good night!

1 Dori August 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Definitely do the month of hot yoga. That is such a great price!

2 poiseinparma August 2, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I agree with Dori: $75 is hard to beat. My studio had an introductory fee of $49 for your first month. That was AWESOME! Go with the yoga, especially while the weather is on your side.

3 hotdot24 August 2, 2010 at 9:59 pm

follow your gut and do the yoga…reinstate gym membership after ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Bobbi August 2, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Watching it right now!!! I watch it every Monday night!

5 Sana August 2, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Just do it. Like Nike!

6 freshman5k August 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I love that show! I need to try tempeh sometime…

7 Hangry Pants August 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I would die if my studio was $75 unlimited. You are running so much, go for the yoga!

8 Katharine @ Thyme 4 A Change August 2, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I would go for the $75 yoga. The studio by me charges almost twice that!

9 Megan August 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm

“If you close your fries…” haha! eyes?

10 Suyapa August 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Yes, I’ve watched the show and I love it!! It also makes me want to go to all those places!!!!

11 Rachael August 2, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Unlimited yoga. For that amount, especially, but a month of as much yoga as you can get will do wonders for mind and body!
I’m a big fan of that show – it’s usually on at the gym (the Food Network has a big following in the cardio section :). It’s interesting to hear what chefs crave and appreciate!

12 Kayla August 2, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I say go with the yoga – it makes more sense right now while you’re training since you aren’t going to the gym. And as someone who doesn’t have a yoga studio anywhere near her I definitely say take advantage!!

13 Stephanie@ avocado nation August 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm

That’s a great deal. Do the hot yoga. Is it only for one month? Do you have to commit for six months or something?

14 Meghann August 3, 2010 at 5:29 am

I should have clarified – it’s $75 a month for unlimited yoga for as many months as I want.

15 Brittany August 2, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I vote yoga!

16 gloriousgreens August 2, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I recently went through a similar decision. Yoga has been a very important part of reconnecting with my body and I gladly cut the gym membership. However, I’m still able to use my company gym whenever – which is basically a glorified hotel gym. I say go for the yoga!!!

17 gloriousgreens August 2, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I love that show and I’ve had the BEST french onion soup of my life in Brugge, Belgium.

18 Samantha August 3, 2010 at 12:14 am

I’m always inspired at how you are able to make so many “toss together” meals look and sound so good!

If it were me, I’d spring for the hot yoga. But that’s easy to say since I have unlimited access to our base gym, free of charge. Although honestly, even if I didn’t, I’d just run, and lift at home, and use the money at the studio. Hot yoga is bliss!

19 Lindsay August 3, 2010 at 12:14 am

That show is awesome! It makes me want to eat all sorts of unhealthy things!

20 KatieTX August 3, 2010 at 12:22 am

Yoga! However, I would miss group cycling and group strength classes at the gym! Tough choice!!

21 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 3, 2010 at 1:08 am

oooh that would be a tough decision! I like the combo of yoga – AND weights / strength training ๐Ÿ™‚

22 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 3, 2010 at 1:12 am

ive never heard of a SCUFFIN! you just blew my mind and now im in love! haha <3

23 Shell August 3, 2010 at 1:27 am

I say do what makes you happy and you seem to reaally be lovin the hot yoga so i say go the yoga! we dont have that in Perth and that makes me so sad:(

24 pursuitofhealthfulness August 3, 2010 at 2:39 am

I would say to go with the hot yoga. It would like you really love it. Plus, you’re right to realize that you’ll be focusing on the marathon. Do you have access to some free-weights at home?
I love “The Best Thing I Ever Ate,” but it definitely gives me food envy. Without a doubt, I would talk about the grilled artichokes from Houston’s restaurant. Love, love, love.

25 Michelle August 3, 2010 at 2:45 am

I made the carrot cake scuffins this afternoon and was really happy with how they turned out!

26 britchickruns August 3, 2010 at 3:07 am

100% the hot yoga!!

27 Cat August 3, 2010 at 3:12 am

Yoga!!

28 Tina August 3, 2010 at 6:42 am

I think if you aren’t using the membership much then the hot yoga would be better. Do what you love! And the extra stretching is probably good for training anyways.

29 Kathryn August 3, 2010 at 7:01 am

Definitely the yoga…especially since you are running so much….enjoy! I’m jealous!

30 runnerstrials August 3, 2010 at 7:03 am

Do the hot yoga! I’m sure it’ll supplement marathon training the best ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Lauren August 3, 2010 at 7:08 am

I say as much as you adore Hot yoga, to go for it! Definitely sounds like its worth the money.

I love that show!! I feel like I would be an awesome guest on this one because there are sooo many wonderful meals that I’ve had that I would love to share with the world!

32 Rachael August 3, 2010 at 7:41 am

Definitely the hot yoga! It’s a great compliment to all of the running you’re doing and will continue to do your body good ๐Ÿ™‚

33 Amanda August 3, 2010 at 8:12 am

YOGA!!! without a doubt.

34 atastelife August 3, 2010 at 8:32 am

Love that show. I literally take notes of places I have to go eat at some point in my life.

35 Marla August 3, 2010 at 8:37 am

Hot yoga definitely! How many months will you sign up for?(is a one time offer…..if so ,you may want to sign up for a few months-my hot yoga usually costs double that !!)
My only problem is I do hot yoga lots but need to start doing either speed walking or jogging to get cardio in my life.

Hot yoga is so very addictive -I am now at the stage where my mood is bleh when I don’t go several times a week.The best feeling ever is when one tries a one month challenge to attend EVERY day- your skin looks amazing but most importantly your mental state is filled with bliss and peacefulness ๐Ÿ˜‰

36 rebecca lustig August 3, 2010 at 8:59 am

HOOKED on The Best Thing I Ever Ate. I love the commentaries from the professionals. they know their stuff!

also– i vote unlimited hot yoga. there’s something liberating, rejuvenating and mindful about the practice. much more meaningful than a trip to the gym, if you ask me

Hope you have a remarkable day.
love love love,
becca

37 Amanda August 3, 2010 at 8:59 am

Without a doubt, unlimited hot yoga. It’ll stretch you out bigtime before the marathon!

38 SaraRM August 3, 2010 at 9:07 am

Im going to sound repetitive…YOGA but dont forget about mixing weight training in there also!

39 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine August 3, 2010 at 9:50 am

Such a tough choice! See what you like more: if yoga is more your thing, go for it. I’m not sure if I would choose it. I like yoga but I feel like strength training offered by a gym is more beneficial for me and the goals I’m working on.

Tough!! ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Jo August 3, 2010 at 10:03 am

Gym! yoga is nice but you get everything at the gym. Does your gym have yoga classes as well?

41 Tracey August 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I LOVE that show. My husband and I watch it and fantasize about visiting all the places!

42 Liz August 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Curious how you made the tofu fries…did you marinate them or put anything on them first or just cut it into sticks and bake it plain? I’ve got a block in the fridge and would like to try these!

43 Meghann August 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm

The tempeh fried didn’t have anything on them. I cut them into fry shapes and baked them plain at 400 for 15 minutes. Since I was dipping them in the BBQ sauce they really didn’t need anything special ๐Ÿ™‚

44 Liz August 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm

**sorry, meant TEMPEH fries, not tofu ๐Ÿ™‚

45 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I love “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” it always inspires me to try cooking more often.

Those tempeh fries are really tempting looking. I want to try them.

46 dianacheung August 4, 2010 at 7:40 am

best thing I ever ate=danger at night. SERIOUSLY

47 Emily August 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I love the Best Thing I Ever Ate show. Recently my sister and I made a road trip game out of it. We took turns asking each other things like “the best ice cream you’ve ever had” or best Indian food you’ve ever had” It sure made the time pass more quickly!!

48 worleebird August 4, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Meghann, definitely HOT yoga. You may not like it as much because it’s not spontaneous, but I recommend also trying out bikram yoga.

I’ve run for most of my life and have often used yoga to supplement my training schedule. It combines weight training and stretching and I love it! I’ve recently had to take a break from running so I have just been practicing yoga. You can read more about it here: http://shiningsee.com/2010/08/04/regular-yoga-practice-meditation/

Whatever you do, have fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

49 rayshine August 4, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Yes to Yoga! I lovee that show!

50 Caroline August 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I would go with the unlimited hot yoga! I do that at my Baptiste studio here in Boston and it’s 150 a month!!!! 75 is awesome! Go for it!