The Color of the Day is Brown

by Meghann on August 2, 2010

My lunches typically fall into a color them of sorts. Some days they’re green, other days they’re orange, and sometimes they’re all the colors of the rainbow.

Today my lunch was brown.

IMG_3573

At least it’s a pretty brown?

I debated adding something green or red to spruce up the colors a little, but this was what I was craving so I went for it. 🙂

IMG_3584

In one corner you’re find the last of the roasted eggplant from last night.

IMG_3576

In the back 1/2 a whole wheat pita.

IMG_3580

And on the side a heaping serving of plain hummus.

IMG_3579

The hummus made a great dip for the eggplant and the pita. Especially when I combined all three in one bite. Yum. 🙂

Earlier this morning I had some more brown in the form of nuts and dried fruit as my snack.

IMG_3569

Do you eat by colors?

I will eat the whole color of the rainbow when it comes to fresh fruit and vegetables, but when it comes to things that are artificially flavored I’m very picky. I’m not a fan of fruit drinks, icees, or gummy things that are purple, blue, or red. Yuck! In that arena I mainly stick to orange. 🙂

1 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete August 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I try not to go the artificial route. I would rather eat an ugly color that is not artificial than a vibrant artificial colored food. Artificial colors freak me out!

2 britchickruns August 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I like to eat lots of colours 🙂 aubergine, squash, spinach, apples, stawberries…the more the merrier!

3 Mal August 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I just finished the book House Rules by Jodi Picoult (def. recommend it!) and the boy in the book is autistic and each day of the week he eats only one color of foods. Your post today reminded me of that! but i love eating all colors, everyday : )

4 Marilou August 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I hate that red, yellow and orange bell peppers are so damn more expensives than green … cauz I adore adding them to salad/meals to give a pop of color 🙂

5 sweetersalt August 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I always feel good when I “eat the rainbow.” Love purple foods – they just seem festive. I make a beet risotto which comes out fuchsia, so vibrant and fun!

6 lowandbhold August 2, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Sometimes when I go to load my pictures from the day I’ll notice all my food was one color. It’s always kind of exciting, haha.

7 amystartstorun August 2, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I totally have fallen into the all-one-color food trap, but if it tastes good, why not?

I’m very picky about eggplant skin, does roasting it make it less tough?

8 Debbi Does Dinner Healthy August 2, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I do colors with the kids a lot. They love orange day, grilled cheese, oranges, cantaloupe!

Brown is good. Chocolate!

9 Kelly August 2, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Only when i eat skittles. I’ll eat every of one color first making my way through the bag saving my favorites for last.

10 Erin August 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I think it is so funny you don’t like red in candy etc, because I have always thought reds and pinks were the best, and I thought everyone felt that way! I was so happy to see that they had a new Starbursts pack that was just reds and pinks.

11 eatmovewrite August 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm

That’s definitely a brown lunch. I eat tons of green more than anything else. Though I try to eat more colorful veggies, I tend to gravitate toward green, green, green.

12 Kate August 2, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Growing up, my mom planned our dinners around color. Her thought was if the meal didn’t have enough color, we probably weren’t getting enough fruits or veggies. If we were eating potatoes and chicken, she’d be sure to add in some broccoli for color. I tend to follow her idea as a general rule of thumb, although it’s really not an issue since I prefer veggies over starches or meats.

PS – This is my first time commenting, but I love reading your blog. You’ve given me so many great ideas on different food and recipes to try! So thanks!

13 gavrielski August 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm

When it comes to sweets like jelly beans, gummy bears, etc., I tend to stick with reds and greens. When it comes to my everyday diet, though, I eat all colors of the rainbow! Today, my salad is green (lettuce, basil), orange (carrots), purple (cabbage), white (tofu), and black (beans). I love colorful meals!

14 Evan Thomas August 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Sometimes I feel like all I eat is brown or orange. At least that’s a TON of beta carotene

15 Sarah for Real August 2, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Haha, I try to avoid orange in those things and prefer the red, blue and purple. We should share our gummy candy bags across the country. I’ll send you my oranges, you send me the others 😀

16 gloriousgreens August 2, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Most days…my color is green. I love green veggies.

17 pursuitofhealthfulness August 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I can bypass artificially colored candies or drinks anyway, but I love to have real color in my diet. In the fall, I find that I eat a lot of orange. Pumpkin, butternut squash and carrots are just too good!

18 christina cadden August 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

mmm, looks so good!

19 BroccoliHut August 2, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I’ll be honest, color is a major factor for me when choosing what to eat. I love to taste the rainbow:)

20 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I love to eat colors too, but sometimes all the same color is good! Your plate looks delicious and I bet it was the perfect pairing!

21 Fallon August 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Technically eggplant is considered purple no?

22 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales August 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm

It may be brown but it still looks tasty!!

23 Stephanie@ avocado nation August 2, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I love to have as many colors as possible because it’s usually tastier that way. 🙂

24 Lisa @ bakebikeblog August 2, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Tasty lunch indeed! And I love your personalised calendars from your last post! What a great idea.

25 amanda August 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm

i love a good slurpee! you’re missing out, meghann! ha.

that meal makes the color brown look yum-tastic!

26 Jodie August 2, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Yummy lunch I love roasted vege’s. I try to eat as many whole, natural colors through out the day.