Little Brother to the Rescue!

by Meghann on July 31, 2010

Can I just start off by saying there are not enough hours in the day?

I left my apartment at 11:00 am this morning and am just now able to sit down, relax, and blog at 10:00 pm. Sure, I was able to get a lot accomplished, but what a day!

It all started at Ikea where I was on the hunt for a desk replacement.

I took my time surveying my options and concluded that a desk really wasn’t what I needed for that space. That ‘desk’ had not been used as an actual desk since I moved in two years ago. It had become a disorganized storage space and after a couple of hours of exploring I decided a bookcase would be a better alternative.

I found this gem of a bookcase and fell in love.

Plus, the price was right up my ally.

Major upsides to shopping by yourself – you get to take your time, you don’t have to worry about the other person being bored, and all decisions are 100% yours.

Major downside to shopping by yourself – no one is there to left the heavy boxes for you. :(

As soon as I found the box for the bookcase I knew there was no way it was fitting in my car. Luckily, my little brother just happened to be in the Orlando area and agreed to help me get the bookcase home. Sweet! :)

I wasn’t hungry when I had left my apartment earlier that morning, but knew I would become hungry while shopping. Instead of wasting money at a food court, I packed a lunch for the day.

Ikea’s food court came in handy. Once I reached the food court I was more than ready to eat. It was nice to be able to sit, eat, and mentally recap all my furniture options. Sitting down and taking a breather really gave me the perfect time to make and stick with my final bookcase decision.

For lunch I had packed a wrap filled with hummus, tabouli, cucumber, and arugula.

On the side, a serving of TJ’s Peanut Butter Pretzels.

La Beverage

And a Carrot Cake Scuffin to end the meal on.

Nest stop: the outlets!

Where some damage was done.

Since my brother was helping me with the book case, I offered to meet him at Menchis for frozen yogurt – my treat. :)

I’ve been trying to cut back on self serve fro – yo. I realized I had been eating it at least twice a week the other month. This was not good for my bank account or my waist line. Self serve frozen yogurt is suppose to be a treat, not an everyday occurance. And let me tell you, after not having it for 3 week, the frozen yogurt actually tasted better than before. :)

My brother ended up being a life saver! He was able to lift the box with little to no effort and his truck was the perfect box transporter.

Ben and Ashley also made the perfect bookcase assemblers. I believe they had the bookcase assembled in 20 minutes tops!

Out with the old…

In with the new..

I still need to put everything in the shelves, but so far so good! I really like the bookcase and believe it fits the space perfectly. :)

For dinner, Ben, Ashley, and I invited ourselves to Anthony and Kelly’s to grill out.

Kelly is in Miami for the weekend, so it was really only Anthony’s place for the night.

We came bearing meat.

I’ve been craving steak lately and what better time to enjoy steak than an evening with friends?

I don’t cook steak often – or ever really – so Anthony told me to poke them with a fork and marinade them with the A1and Soy Sauce.

While the steaks grilled I had a couple pita chips with hummus that Ben had brought with him.

I also quenched my thirst with a beer.

The table’s set and ready to go.

Steak, steamed green beans, and roasted sweet potatoes. Yum!

My plate

Everything was delicious. Sometimes a girl just craves a good steak and I was very happy to have that craving satisfied. :)

Thanks for letting us invite ourselves over Anthony! Kelly – you missed out! :)

I have an early 14 miler planned for the morning. Let’s home for cloudy skies and an unexpected cold front. A girl can dream, right?

Good night!

1 Miranda @ MirandaJeans July 31, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Oh I’ve completed my sale many a time wondering how I was going to fit it all in my car. Once my mom and I bought a pre assembled returned and on sale in the sale section, a dresser. LOL we bought it thinking we could fit it in the trunk of her Malabu as long as we laid the seats down. LOL oh we were dreaming. We had to call my dad to make the 45-60 minute drive to Ikea to load the dresser in the truck and then we all make the 45-60 minute drive back home. LOL Good times at Ikea

2 Nicole August 1, 2010 at 1:41 am

Aw, I was going to go to IKEA today and we decided to save it for another time. But LOVE that bookshelf! We found a huge version on Craigslist and have loved it ever since! Such a sweet bro of yours to help you with the huge boxes of furniture. Congrats on your new ikea goodies, they’ll probably be your best friends forever. πŸ˜€

3 britchickruns August 1, 2010 at 2:14 am

Soo many bloggers are going to Ikea atm!! That’s such a gorgeous bookcase- totally my stlye!
Bah, I really hate how men can just…lift stuff..with like, no effort. It’s really not fair! It always makes me feel so feeble πŸ˜›

4 The Wife of a Dairyman August 1, 2010 at 2:19 am

Gotta love those Ikea prices :) The nearest one to my house is 45 minutes away on a good day……actually it’s probably a good thing that it’s that far away and I only visit once a year. Have a great run!

5 Amy August 1, 2010 at 2:35 am

OK, the suspense is killing me. What goodies did you pick up at Lululemon? I would LOVE to visit the outlet one day. Until then, I stalk the online Loot section =)

6 ForDGRedial August 1, 2010 at 3:20 am

I have that bookcase in white…I love it and think we may end up with another one – perfect mix of storage and display space. Spotted some mirrored door cupboards for this last time I was in ikea and they’ve been playing on my mind ever since.

7 Sarah w August 1, 2010 at 4:21 am

Please post your ann Taylor loft goodies. I love that store!!!

8 Eating Abroad August 1, 2010 at 5:21 am

Great choice for storage, you’ll probably be able to use it for a multitude of purposes for many years, and YAY for little brothers!

9 Katie August 1, 2010 at 7:35 am

Ikea rocks and I love the bookshelf you got!!! its really nice!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh shopping is the best and outlets are so great for good deals!

Glad you got a good brother around to help you, and yay for froyo, I love that you get it, I never do because we dont have a froyo around here, but I always look at yours and drool, lol!

Sounds like you had a great ‘you’ time weekend!!

10 Mary August 1, 2010 at 9:44 am

I have the 16 cube version of that shelf. IKEA rocks!

11 Kath August 1, 2010 at 10:25 am

I really do want to come visit you sometime soon and help with those organization plans! I will require a small budget to do so :)

12 Kath August 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

(Not for me, for the rooms!)

13 BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

I just said this on Caitlin’s blog, too… I so want an IKEA nearby! :( None here in Nashville!

Awesome lunch, awesome dinner! And I agree – sometimes ya just need to have some steak!

Enjoy your day!

14 Kristen August 1, 2010 at 10:53 am

Love the new bookshelves, looks like it will control clutter better than the desk! You are so disciplined bringing your own lunch, smart gal!

I satisfied my steak craving this weekend also…only at Stoney River in Atlanta, best steakhouse around, IMO! Nothing like a steak on the grill to indulge once in a while.

Enjoy the rest of your free weekend time.

15 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales August 1, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I love the bookcase, it’s so much nicer (no offence, it just fits the space better!) than the computer desk. Looks like you guys had a great BBQ.

16 Erin August 1, 2010 at 12:24 pm

IKEA is heaven on earth. By the way– your brother is really really handsome!

17 Michelle August 1, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I love that you brought your lunch with you instead of dining out. I do that all the time as well!

18 fitnessandsunshine August 1, 2010 at 2:31 pm

The shelf looks great! :) I need one myself–I’m starting to get lots of books and have no place to put them. πŸ˜‰

19 Natalie (The Sweets Life) August 2, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I say live it up with the froyo! Yes there’s such a thing as balance but when it comes to desserts this is pretty decent! I’m in San Diego with my husband right now and we’re been getting our daily pinkberry fix…guiltfree! :)