more ยป" />

Inside a Runner's Head

by Meghann on July 31, 2010

If you were to record the thoughts running through my head during any given run it would probably read something likes this:

“Woo hoo! Feeling great! Let’s do this thing.”

“Boy, it’s hot. Can a person really sweat this much?”

“Water! I need water! Is that driveway empty? I wonder if those people would mind if I drank out of their water hose.”

“Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars. I could really use a wish right now (wish right now, wish right now) “

“So, if I make a smoothie when I get home then I have frozen strawberries, mangos, and yogurt to add to it. I wonder if I should top it with granola or crumble a scuffin?”

“Two more miles. Two more miles. You’ve got this Meghann – You’ve got this!!”

“Ahh.. my pace is climbing. Sprint Meghann, sprint! Must get under 9:00 minute miles!”

“I’m done! I’m done! Dear god, please let Chicago weather be better than this.”

At least, that’s how my thoughts read this morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had 6 miles on my training plan this morning with a goal of finishing around a 8:56 per mile pace.

Here’s my splits:

• Mile 1: 8:55
  • Mile 2: 8:45
  • Mile 3: 8:51
  • Mile 4: 8:51
  • Mile 5: 9:06
  • Mile 6: 8:54
  • Total: 53:24
  • Avg pace: 8:53

Goal accomplished. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve been having issues with my iPod shuffle lately.

My ipod can’t handle all my sweat and has been shorting itself out after 5 miles or so. I’ve tried wearing it in different places, but it seems as if there are no sweat free spots on my body.

Any suggestions? Maybe I need to wrap it in a plastic baggie?

Hopefully I’ll figure something out 14 miler tomorrow :/

After a hot, sweaty run I was really craving a cold, refreshing smoothie for breakfast.

In the blender:

• Frozen Strawberries
  • Mango
  • Ice
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Almond Milk
  • PB2
  • Xanthum Gum

IMG_3122.jpg

Blend, Blend, Blend

IMG_3124.jpg

Smoothies are so much better in a bowl. ๐Ÿ™‚

I topped it all with some granola and cacao nibs.

With a Carrot Cake Scuffin on the side.

I have the whole day to myself! That’s a first! But, I think sometime a girl deserves some me time.

I, also, have several projects to finish around the house and on the blog (By the way has anyone seen the new travel post tab I created yesterday? Check it out) I’m going to finish the blog work first and then head out to shop!

I need to find something else to go in this space, he desk just isn’t working anymore.

Umm… yeah. I’ve got my work cut out for me.

Wish me luck!

1 runningwithsass July 31, 2010 at 9:54 am

never thought about a smoothie in a bowl! good job on the run. You are speedy!

2 britchickruns July 31, 2010 at 9:55 am

Oh yes – that is the same kinda thickness I like for my smoothies too, LOVE IT!

3 Olivia @ Blissful Runner July 31, 2010 at 10:00 am

Ah! I could have written this post. From longing to drink from a strangers hose and erratic sweat-ladden iPods, to a smoothie in a bowl… story of my life! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 freshman5k July 31, 2010 at 10:09 am

Maybe try one of those arm band things that hold ipods? How is it working out doing a medium run the day before a long run?

5 averymeggirl July 31, 2010 at 10:21 am

I am headed to apple right now because my ipod shuffle is being all wacky lately too!! Hopefully it is still under warranty and they can give me a new one.. We shall see.. Girl, you are getting so fast! Keep it up!

6 Dana July 31, 2010 at 10:22 am

I’m not sure when you got your Shuffle, but Apple came out and said that the headphones were the problem. You can take your Shuffle into the Apple store and they should give you a free new set of headphones – that might help!

7 Meghann July 31, 2010 at 10:23 am

I wish that was the problem. ๐Ÿ™‚ Truth is I can’t stand the apple brand headphones so I wear sony ones.

8 Marilou July 31, 2010 at 10:35 am

It’s crazy what go through my head when I run/work-out … the more it goes, the more it’s sillier … I’m really losing my sanity when I’m left alone for too long with myself! I’m a real bad influence .. heheh

9 Jessica July 31, 2010 at 10:49 am

Apparently the weather in Chicago was 66 degrees (my friend Alex is up there for a race)

Also, you should totally look into http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675 – they have a bunch of different sizes and colors, we just got one for our living room and it’s awesome! plus, only 129 for the medium sized one, and you can fit A LOT onto it ๐Ÿ™‚

10 La Historiadora de Moda July 31, 2010 at 10:54 am

Nice job on the run! I had that issue with my old ipod nano. It was never the same. I eventually just broke down and bought a new ipod. Sorry I don’t have any better suggestions.

11 Exercise and Eat July 31, 2010 at 11:03 am

Consignment shops are great places to look for new desks!

12 Tina July 31, 2010 at 11:20 am

I love the thoughts running through the head! And perfect way to decide what smoothie topping. Have one on the side! ๐Ÿ™‚

13 The Wife of a Dairyman July 31, 2010 at 11:23 am

Great job on your run!

14 fitnessandsunshine July 31, 2010 at 11:24 am

Hahaha good luck, you can do it! ๐Ÿ™‚

If that were happening to my mp3 player/ipod I’d probably use some plastic wrap around it, maybe that would help?

15 Michaela July 31, 2010 at 11:27 am

Last year the day of the Chicago marathon was quite cold. I want to say it was in the upper 20s/low 30s at the start of the race. But we have had a pretty hot summer. Who knows what it will be like 2 months from now….nothing like FL weather though!

16 Carly July 31, 2010 at 11:45 am

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard the plastic baggie trick works. I have friends that use that method on rainy days. Good luck!

17 Traci July 31, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I know…I was thinking that on my run yesterday. 7 miles gives you some time to think. I always say I do my best thinking and problem solving during my runs! Just has a way of putting things in perspective. Happy Saturday! Enjoy your day!

18 amystartstorun July 31, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Usually I hear “Ugh, ugh, ugh, why did I decide to take up running?!?” Good thing I like feeling accomplished afterwards, otherwise it’d be hard to go the next time. The heat in AZ has made me take a break from running though ๐Ÿ™

19 thefitbridesmaid July 31, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Have a great Saturday alone. You’ll love it! Time to check out your travel tab!

20 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) July 31, 2010 at 12:44 pm

LOL love reading the thoughts while running. I always think about how much I’m sweating or how long it will take me to flat iron my hair after a shower.

Smoothies in a bowl are way more fun. I totally agree.

Good luck with your desk project!

21 Lee July 31, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I think very similar thoughts when I run. And that Airplanes song has been stuck in my head for days!

22 Lizzy July 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Oh the mind of a runner… love this post… so crazy the things we think during a run!

23 Michelle July 31, 2010 at 1:46 pm

You make me want to have a SIAB today after my long (11 mile) run!

24 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 31, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Mmm, that smoothie looks good!! I gotta say- I really admire you runners. I check out after about two miles. And that’s on a treadmill, haha. Outside I think I last about a 1/4 mile before I say-okay, walking time! lol

25 Nicole July 31, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Enjoy your me time, after a few crazy and packed weekends its so necessary sometimes!

26 Nicci@NiftyEats July 31, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Your smoothie looks delicious.

27 Allie July 31, 2010 at 3:03 pm

that’s weird, i have never had a prob with my any of my ipods (or iphone) and believe me, i stun myself with how much i sweat. i haven’t used a mini, but i do always have mine on an arm band.

what about bookcase(s)?? that might make things look neater, and you could get baskets to hold all the crap you want out of sight.

28 Marina July 31, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Love the thoughts during the run :))
Breakfast looks amazing, love that pink smoothie!

29 It All Changes July 31, 2010 at 3:26 pm

The only thing that saves my iPod is a case. Nike makes one that keeps the sweat away from it and allows my arm to breathe. I don’t know if they make one for the shuffle.

30 Runeatrepeat July 31, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I totally used someone’s hose today ๐Ÿ™‚
I am such a heavy sweater that I always wrap my phone in a plastic baggie. It would have been dead after my first run if I didn’t.

31 hypki July 31, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I sweat more than anyone I know, and my shuffle works great attached to the strap of my running top, in between my sports bra strap and the top strap.

32 Erica July 31, 2010 at 5:03 pm

haha- I totally have similar thoughts when I run. A lot of it is about what I’m going to eat for the next meal ๐Ÿ˜‰ A day to yourself- sounds fantastic! My day was sort of that way, but I ended up with a lot of work work to do. Yummy smoothie. That looks just amazing and summery

33 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 31, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly. I don’t know what could be going on with your shuffle. I would think a plastic baggy would help though.

34 ForDGRedial July 31, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Maybe it needs a deep dry out…like an iphone when someone drops it in water…?

35 elizabethjarrard July 31, 2010 at 6:50 pm

that’s exactly what was going through my head today! love it meghan!

36 Samantha July 31, 2010 at 7:20 pm

For the shuffle, many runners I know clip it to their headband or hat while they’re running which seems to help.

37 Miranda @ MirandaJeans July 31, 2010 at 10:11 pm

It almost looks like soft serve it’s so good and thick… Nom that looks so good.

38 Erin July 31, 2010 at 10:26 pm

i’m moving tomorrow into an apartment with a roommate who has a blender! i’m so pumped to finally be able to recreate all the smoothies you make! love the blog!

39 BroccoliHut July 31, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I’ve had the same problem with my Nano! I haven’t found a solution yet, but I think I might have to break down and invest in an armband to protect it from all my summer schweatiness.

40 Sarah August 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

Meghann, my iPod was doing the same thing too, until I put it inside a snack size baggie during a hot humid day that threatened to rain, but didn’t. I’ve been using this trick for every run since and I haven’t had a problem. Now if only I can figure out how to keep it from freezing during early morning winter runs…

41 michele August 1, 2010 at 3:37 pm

That looks like my desk.

42 Mac August 2, 2010 at 11:22 am

I use an iPod case that has a clip on it, that way I can clip it on the waist of my shorts…no sweat problems at all that way! I have an iPod nano, so I’m not entirely sure if they have on to fit a shuffle or not.

43 Elizabeth August 2, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I have used press and seal plastic wrap to cover my phone/ipod/etc. when running in the rain – it’s neater and more compact than baggies, and it doesn’t get in the way of any of the buttons. But then again, maybe you’re not as OCD as I am about disorderly flapping plastic and weird plastic chafing ๐Ÿ™‚

44 Coleen August 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I also suggest zip loc or press and seal to cover you shuffle. My boyfriend’s uncle is a runner and says thats the only way he can protect it from his sweat (and let me tell you, their family sweats A LOT!!).