Pushing Myself

by Meghann on July 30, 2010

Happy Friday Everyone!!!

It’s almost the weekend! Woop! Woop!

My Friday started off with a bang thanks to Back2Back Body Power and Spinning. I’m so thankful they only changed body power to group active on Wednesdays so that I can still get a body power class in on Fridays. 🙂

I made a goal with myself this morning to try and push myself outside of my comfort zones. I’m falling into a routine in each of these classes and that routine is no longer benefiting my body the way I want it to.

So, I made some slight changes. In body power I added additional weight to the majority of the weighted tracks, I tried not to half-ass any of the moves and I pushed through it when I thought I couldn’t. My arms and legs felt like jello at the end of class. It was awesome.

I wasn’t letting myself off easy in spinning either. When our instructor told us to add a gear, I added a gear. When he told us to stay seated or stand up to make it easier, I stayed seated. Again, it was awesome.

Sometimes I need to remember that falling into a routine at the gym isn’t always a good thing. To keep fit and give myself strength I need to constantly challenge myself and keep mixing things up. Otherwise I get in a rut and that just isn’t much fun. 🙂

Post-gym breakfast.

IMG_3005

Overnight Oats in a Yogurt Container 🙂

• 1/2 cup Multi-grain Cereal
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Applesauce <—was out of milk and this did a great job of making everything moist! 🙂
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Peanut Butter
  • Cinnamon
  • Rolled Dates

IMG_3011

Was anyone else thrown off when Chobani switched their plain label from pink to blue?

IMG_3009

Blueberries

IMG_3013

IMG_3015

IMG_3016

I wasn’t sure how the addition of the applesauce would effect the creaminess or the taste of the oats, but there really was no difference at all. If I hadn’t added the applesauce myself then I wouldn’t have known there was a difference!

IMG_3017

Today’s Challenge: Do one thing today that pushed you outside of your comfort zone. Say hello to a stranger. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Go to the movies by yourself. The sky is the limit. 🙂

1 Kristina @goodnweird July 30, 2010 at 10:15 am

Great job on your workout! I pushed myself hard on my tempo run last night which was definitely out of my comfort zone. 8 miles in 58 minutes!

2 Marilou July 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

Ask for a raise … #win! 🙂

3 pursuitofhealthfulness July 30, 2010 at 10:28 am

I’m navigating the trains all the way to Switzerland… that should be a pretty good challenge!

4 biz319 July 30, 2010 at 10:35 am

Happy Friay Meghann! 😀

5 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

Happy Friday – hope it’s a good one for you!! Great workout by the way!

6 ForDGRedial July 30, 2010 at 10:44 am

Its kinda reassuring to see that even people with fab exercise and eating regimes have to work at it. Bit like marriage I guess, its never over – always a work in progress.

Btw aren’t blueberries just divine!!?!

7 Erin @ Swan Lake Eats Her Cake July 30, 2010 at 10:52 am

Oh I like this challenge! I’ve always been afraid to go to the movies by myself…maybe today is the day. 🙂

8 stacey July 30, 2010 at 11:00 am

Nice job pushing yourself! Sometimes it’s really hard to force yourself out of the comfort zone.

I was really thrown for a loop when they changed the yogurt container!

9 Traci July 30, 2010 at 11:04 am

Pushing yourself outside your comfort zone is great. I took Dale Carnegie class a year ago that made us do just that. Toughest 12 weeks of my life! But so worth it.

10 gavrielski July 30, 2010 at 11:10 am

Thanks for the challenge! It’s important to continue challenging and testing ourselves in order to grow. Way to go!

11 Trish July 30, 2010 at 11:24 am

I love Spinning! So much fun. I wish there were some great classes near me.

And I have to say that going to the movies alone is the best. Several years ago there was a movie I wanted to see – but I had nobody to go with. So I said to myself ‘the heck with it! I am going alone!’ Before that, I wouldn’t have ever thought to do that. And I did feel a tad bit weird about it. But it ended up being great! So now, I go all the time. It’s so nice. I see what I want, when I want. And honestly, you are in the dark and can’t talk- it’s the perfect solo activity.

I am all for stepping out and trying something new. In our heads, we tend to make so much more out of things than we need to. And going solo can actually be more fun. I also highly recommend vacationing alone – I went to Disney alone and had the best time ever. So fun! I went on only the rides I wanted and went back to the same kiosk about ten times because it was hot and I was craving the same smoothie. LOL!

12 Meghann July 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I like the idea of going to the theme park alone! I’ve also always wanted to travel somewhere by myself and get to see what I want to see and when I want to see it. 🙂

13 Kelli July 30, 2010 at 11:38 am

Happy Friday!!

I just wanted to say that I love this challenge and am going to try to do something that is outside my comfort zone!! Thanks!

PS. I love reading your blog…its fantastic!

14 Anonymous July 30, 2010 at 11:45 am

You have such a good attitude and discipline. Your workouts are impressive but that is what I really admire about you.

15 Kelly July 30, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Way to work it at the gym this morning! I think I tend to get into ruts at the gym as well which is why i’ve started doing yoga classes there once a week!

16 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

What a great challenge for today! 🙂 It’s a good idea for anyone, thank you.

17 It All Changes July 30, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Oooo I love challenges. I must think of something good to do. I just hope I don’t get too ambitious at my haircut tonight.

18 Stephanie@ avocado nation July 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I want to join a gym again so I can take spin. I LOVE it.

19 Exercise and Eat July 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I am so impressed that you do back to backs in the AM!

20 emily July 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I went for a run even though I was nervous about going alone in our new neighborhood!

21 Evan Thomas July 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I really liked this post; I thought of it when I was running today, and it helped me to push through the first wall I reached.

22 Jory@Exploring Ordinary July 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Going to a pilates class after work! Embracing the challenge! 🙂

23 40apples July 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Yes, totally thrown off by the label change! 🙂
I hear ya on the gym routine – I try to go in with the mentality of wanting to make the most of the time I’ve taken out of my day to be there. Staying really conscious of the good I’m doing my body helps me to keep challenging myself.

24 SaraRM July 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm

My husband and I are in the middle of moving. My challenge is to not STRANGLE him because im the one packing everything while he is napping on the couch!!!!!!!! Uhhhhhh seriously?!

Seriously though, while iron pumping this morning I kept thinking “challenge yourself” so more reps I did! Turned out to be a great workout when I just really wasnt feelin it.

25 Victoria July 30, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Hey Meghann 🙂 Do you have an early morning snack before you hit spin class? I can never decide whether to grab something quick to fuel my workout or to workout on an empty stomach. Thanks! x.

26 Bridget July 30, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I’m in the middle of moving, and I have had to part wish many possessions that I wanted to keep. Instead of keeping them, I’m giving them to a new friend who is starting out and has absolutely nothing in her apartment.

27 Lorin July 31, 2010 at 2:12 am

I’m slightly new to Yoga and I tried pigeon pose (I think it’s called that). Where your knees are resting on the back of your upper arms near your elbows. It was really hard, I couldn’t do it! My arms were shaking though and it was nice to have a challenge.