more ยป" />

Push Came to Shove

by Meghann on July 28, 2010

If push came to shove and I had to choose my favorite snack of all time based solely on it’s ratio of complex carbs, healthy fats, protein, and level of filling-ness I would have to go with carrot sticks and nut butter.

From the carrot sticks you get a healthy dose of vitamin A and complex carbs. From the nut butter you get healthy fats, protein, and tastiness. When you combine the two you get a killer snack that always leaves you full and satisfied. ๐Ÿ™‚

Today’s nut butter of choice? Honey Peanut Butter. I’m not the biggest fan of regular peanut butter, but when you add honey to the mix I’m all over it. ๐Ÿ™‚

My afternoon was spent collecting quotes from ‘happy customers’ for our website and further collateral. The whole project began with hundreds of customer surveys that weeded through and selected the ones that rated us with top marks in all categories. I then made dozens of phone calls to those top rated surveyors.

Let me tell you, there is nothing that makes your day brighter than talking to happy customers who absolutely love your company’s product. I think my CEO should speak to one of these happy customers at least once a week. They renewed my faith in my company, hopefully they would do the same for him. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dinner had been on my mind all day.

I started with a lovely pan of roasted vegetables.

(Brussel Sprouts, Red Potatoes, Radishes, Onion, and Red Pepper seasoned with S&P)

That went in a bowl

And were topped with marinara sauce and meatless meatballs

Then blue cheese and flax seed

Can’t forget the toast.

You can’t go wrong with roasted vegetables and marinara sauce. I feature the combination on my blog frequently because it really is a favorite of mine. High in vitamins, low in calories, and big in flavor. There’s nothing better. ๐Ÿ™‚

When I left work I could feel that baker’s itch coming on. However, somewhere between the couch and finishing dinner that itch was gone. Le sigh.

The itch was then replaced with the need for the last of my Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. Now that’s an itch I can handle. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now, thanks to you guys, I have some fun new blogs to read.

Here’s a sampling of some of the suggestions you guys provided in the comments this afternoon. I already see a new obsession developing with one or two of them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy Reading!

1 Meg July 28, 2010 at 9:42 pm

LOVE the linkage! I’ll be checkin’ em out too ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ve been on such a potato kick lately – I love your dinner, and I totally agree – nut butter is kosher with prettymuch ANYTHING in my book ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have a great night Meghann!!

2 Marilou July 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Yay for roasted veggies and marinara! Love it too, definitely a staple in my house ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish I would do customers survey like this … In my department, we hear from customers only when they are unsatisfied, or when a problem occurs.

3 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 28, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Favourite snack would definitely be dried fruit and nuts. Hands down.

4 Maria @ a healthier Maria July 28, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I wish so bad I liked carrots!
& you have gotten me hooked on Mila’s Daydreams already. Another good one is: http://www.myparentswereawesome.com

5 Daryl July 28, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Thanks for the snack suggestion! I was just looking for an occasional healthy alternative to my evening Doritos cravings (not every night).

6 Matt July 28, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Thanks for the links! Looks like I will be reading for awhile ๐Ÿ˜‰

7 caronae July 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Carrots and almond butter/peanut butter (or sometimes apple and almond butter) is indeed one of the best snacks ever! Never fails to keep me full and make me happy. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like making it into a tower or log cabin, and then removing the carrot sticks one by one and destroying the structure. It makes me feel like I am five and that’s one of the ebst feelings in the world!

8 fitnessandsunshine July 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Carrots are definitely SO filling. I can have 2-3 and they hold me over really well. ๐Ÿ™‚ I also really enjoy roasted veggies, but instead of sauce I just add in tomatoes and when they get all runny and saucy, it’s glorious. ๐Ÿ˜‰

9 runningwithsass July 28, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I LOVE young house love!

10 carly July 28, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Thanks for sharing; I love finding new blogs!

11 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm

oooh tasty dinner indeed! I swear that between homemade pizza and roasted vegetables – I could not eat anything else for a year!!!

12 Run Sarah July 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I love roasted veggies and marinara, such a great combination. Cant wait to check out some of those blogs!

13 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness July 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Love the links! I just added one in the comment section of your previous post!

14 sweetersalt July 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Thanks for the shout out! Love your blog (been reading it for a while now!) so it means a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Christyne Herrera July 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Thank you so much for all those new blogs. I love finding new blogs!!! Although I don’t think I have time to read anymore ( I have over 90 blogs on goggle reader….eeeekkkk) At least it’s a healthy obsession =)

16 Brittany July 28, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Roasted veggies are one of my favorite things to eat. I typically don’t top them with anything but your combo looks tasty.

Young House Love is my FAV non food related blog!

17 amanda July 28, 2010 at 11:23 pm

sadly, i read more than half of those blogs. i’m a pathetic blog reading fool you’re going to have a blast rummaging through them. i kid you not. another good fashion site-http://www.thelook4less.net/ {a real goodie!}

those veggies look deeeelish.

18 Nicole July 28, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Such a good idea!! Roasted Veggies + pasta sauce, I’m so doing that with my leftover roasted veggies in the fridge. Thanks for the great idea ๐Ÿ˜€ And another blogger posted a recipe for some PB cinnamon hummus, and today I tried it with carrots and almost died it was so good. I can see many people lovin’ on the Carrot PB combo!

19 Courtney July 28, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Yum! Gotta love honey pb… and read my blog too! ;D

20 gavrielski July 28, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I still have yet to try carrots with nut butter. How much nut butter do you usually bring for a mid-afternoon snack? I love roasted veggies with marinara, too–one of my faves!

21 gloriousgreens July 29, 2010 at 12:02 am

New dress a day is amazing… I wish I was that talented.

22 Tina July 29, 2010 at 6:36 am

I have never had carrots + pb. I know I would love it, but the hummus just comes out with the carrots. Habit, I guess.

Roasted veggies. Best part of a meal. Always. Well, almost always. Sometimes dessert is the best part. ๐Ÿ˜‰

23 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 29, 2010 at 7:14 am

Ooh, carrot stick and nut butter. It’s been too long! I think I might just be having that combo for my afternoon snack today now. And I agree that honey+PB=heaven!!

24 jules524 July 29, 2010 at 7:35 am

Thanks for the shout out! I’ve gotten a lot of view from here ๐Ÿ™‚

25 wnk505 July 29, 2010 at 7:49 am

carrots and peanut butter is a great combo. Initially it sounds weird but when you mix them together it is the best texture

26 shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 29, 2010 at 8:16 am

Thanks for the blog list… I am always looking to add.

27 Diana July 29, 2010 at 8:26 am

Hi there :] I love snack dippers too–celery and almond butter’s one of my favorites!

28 Nina July 29, 2010 at 8:38 am

Hi there,

Let me add one blog to your list! This one belongs to my best friend. She started it just a couple of weeks ago, so I’m trying to spread the word. Enjoy.

Thanks,
N

29 Rosey Rebecca July 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

I love talking to happy people at work. It makes my day! Thanks for the blog suggestions! I’m always looking for new ones to read!

30 Eating Abroad July 29, 2010 at 9:31 am

Great list of blogs. I’ve already visited a few and passed them on to people I know will love them as well.

31 Rachel July 29, 2010 at 10:21 am

I probably spent 30 minutes while at work yesterday looking at New Dress A Day! Love it! So, glad I read through the comments yesterday and found it!

32 Sarah July 29, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Someone gave us a sleeve of Thin Mints, and they’ve been living in our freezer ever since. Neither of us really care for them; would you like them? Send me a note if you do! sarah.suiteapple@gmail.com

33 justjac July 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I love roasted veg, it’s like my favorite dinner of all time!
I find it so funny you still have girl scout cookies in the freezer. I don’t buy them because a) i don’t find them that good b)if i did, they wouldn’t still be in my freezer in july! ๐Ÿ˜‰