My Friend… Free Weights

by Meghann on July 28, 2010

weights This morning I decided to pay homage to my dear old friend – free weights.

Ok, so I wouldn’t exactly call free weights a dear old friend, they’re more like a casual acquaintance whom I only visit when the mood strikes.

This morning the mood struck and I hit the weights for an hour long session of mix and match moves based off the training chart Sarah had created for me ages ago. I pushed, I shoved, I lifted, and I’ve now memorized every imperfection of my complexion. I’ve also decided I can only take staring at my reflection for so long while pumping iron. 😉

Thanks to a weekly dosage of body power and hot yoga I’m happy to say my strength training regimen has greatly improved these last couple of months. I went from strength training once in a blue moon to twice a week, nearly every week. Not bad, right?

I would still love to find the time to buckle down and commit to a clear cut plan of free weights that I can do on my own on a regular basis, but I’m pretty sure that’s never going to happen. Some people thrive on it, but not I . I get bored. In between reps my mind wanders and I lose all concentration. I think I need a partner or a class to help me focus at the task at hand rather than what the person next to me is doing or how many zits have developed to the left of my mouth (four in case you were wondering).

The free weights were a nice change for this morning, but I’m happy to stick with my body power and hot yoga classes for now. That’s what works for me and I’m ok with that. 🙂

Post work-out I brought a very easy and transportable breakfast to eat at my desk.

IMG_2880

A cantaloupe ‘bowl’ filled with granola, Chobani Yogurt, and Almond Butter.

IMG_2881

This breakfast was easy to pack, easy to assemble, and easy to eat at my desk. A win-win if you ask me.

IMG_2887

I tasted good too. 🙂

A Big THANK YOU to those of you who donated money to Derek’s run for MS! So far he has raised $320 – almost half way to his goal of $850! BUT, I know we can do better than that. 🙂 Please take a minute to make a small donation to Derek’s Run for MS page. Every dollar helps in the fight against this horrible disease.

And if you or someone you know has been effected by this horrible disease please send me an e-mail at graduatemeghann@gmail.com so that I can share your story and we can help fight this disease together.

Thank you!

1 britchickruns July 28, 2010 at 9:18 am

Ohh I admire you for cracking on with the free weights…no matter how hard I try, I can just never bring myself to do strength training – I hate it with a vengence!
Have a good day 🙂

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 28, 2010 at 9:19 am

I love strength training! I do it about 4 times a week. I do two splits– upper body and lower body. I like to lift heavy weights for few reps because I feel that way I see the best results!

3 Dori July 28, 2010 at 9:21 am

Do the Core Fusion upper body section — you’ll have weights done in less than 10 minutes!

4 Marilou July 28, 2010 at 9:25 am

I really don’t mind strenght training … but I’m definitely more a “machine” kinda girl then free-weights. I always feel that with free weights, I don’t do the move correctly. 🙂

5 Marilou July 28, 2010 at 9:25 am

6 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com July 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

Strength training is actually my favorite, but it’s hard to fit it in when doing triathlon training. I’m working on it! Did arms and abs last night and I am feeling it today!!

7 lauren July 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

I really like weight training, but only have time to do it once a week. I think I might try to do mini workouts in the evening while I watch tv. Kind of a cross-fit style workout for 10 minutes.

8 Meg July 28, 2010 at 9:27 am

Kudos to youuu for free weights, I just don’t have the patience for them haha, I find myself constantly putting them down…guess machines are my thing 😉

LOVE that breakfast! Super summery 😀

9 pursuitofhealthfulness July 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

My tolerance for strength training is really lacking. I much prefer something more active, such as yoga or Pilates. Otherwise I get distracted and end up quitting before much has been accomplished. Let me know if you discover any secrets to a good strength workout, because (sigh) that is also fairly lacking for me.

10 Jenna July 28, 2010 at 10:00 am

That is so creative!!! I loved your breakfast this morning 🙂

11 Laura Georgina July 28, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’m with Dori on the Core Fusion–I swear I could see a difference after a week of doing the arms segment 3x per week. It gives you total Wonderwoman arms!

12 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

Yay for weights! Weight training sessions get really boring if you don’t switch up the exercises almost every week. At least that’s how it is for me. 🙂

Love your breakfast!

13 Sarah for Real July 28, 2010 at 10:16 am

Please remind us at the beginning of August about the MS fundraiser. I would love to donate.

My sister passed away from complications due to chronic progressive MS and I do the MS Walk in my area every year in her memory. She was an active triathlete before her diagnosis and eventual death in her early 30’s. I wish there were cool options for fundraisers like what Derek is doing! So great!

14 SaraRM July 28, 2010 at 10:21 am

I love me some weight training! I try to get in atleast 3 sessions a week.

And ummm GROOOSSSSS to the zit comment! haha

15 newleafeats July 28, 2010 at 10:30 am

I’d do more strength training if I knew how to make a real workout routine out of it. I am going to the YMCA with the hubs tonight to hit the weight room, and maybe I’ll learn a thing or two there.

16 freshman5k July 28, 2010 at 11:13 am

Great job on the weights, I am also trying to get in more strength training!

17 gavrielski July 28, 2010 at 11:16 am

I just sent you an email! Breakfast looks delicious…what kind of granola do you eat?

18 Kelly July 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

I’m the same way about lifting weights. I really need a program or someone to encourage me or I just don’t do it.

19 Paige (RAN) July 28, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I love free weights! But then again, as a personal trainer, I’m pretty sure that’s a requirement 😉 haha

20 hundredtenpounds July 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Free weights are so fun but I forget about them at the gym! I need to do that more often…

21 missyrayn July 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I love free weights and need to do them more often. They really help me prevent further injury and more surgeries. I need to get moving with them again.

22 Stephanie@ avocado nation July 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I am terrible at doing free weights. I just really prefer to run and do cardio. It takes an insane effort for me to actually do it, but I feel so much better when I do.

23 healthylikeme July 28, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I have a new found appreciation for free weights! I recently purchased some so I could do some training at home instead of having to rely on the gym all the time. Mine are 5 and 8 lbs. and I love all the new exercises I can do with them! Definitely a good purchase, I do recommend them for boring nights when you don’t feel like leaving the house but want to get a little workout action on! Ps. love cantaloupe bowls…yours looks so yummy!

24 Cara July 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm

wow that cantaloupe meal looks delicious. never thought of eating it that way! yum.

25 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 28, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I currently do strength training 2 times per week but I would really love to find the time to make that 3 times!!!

26 Kelly July 28, 2010 at 9:30 pm

How did you learn to use free weights? That is my new project, but without a personal trainer or someone working directly with me on this.

{ 1 trackback }