Yuca is filling

by Meghann on July 27, 2010

Oy vey!

You know that moment when all of sudden your pants feel two sizes too small and that oh-so-stylish belt around your midsection begins to feel as if it could pop off at any second? Yep, that’s me.  Full, bloated, and satisfied.

I believe it all started innocently enough when I misjudged how filling yuca truly is. A full container of left over steamed yuca for lunch? Pshhh… I can handle it. All that starch and fiber? I have a stomach of steal!

IMG_2840

My second mistake was adding the yuca to a bed of arugula with tomatoes, avocado, broccoli, and salsa (all served cold). More veggies = More fiber = More bloat

IMG_2843

And what really brought me over the edge was the whole wheat pita served on the side (more fiber!).

IMG_2847

I got about 3/4 through the bowl when I was ready to cry uncle. Too much food.

Looks can be deceiving and sometimes it’s all about quality over quantity.  What may not look like too much food to the untrained eye was really more than my stomach could handle and now I’m paying the price.

IMG_2848

Hopefully, this bloat dies down soon. Being this uncomfortable at my desk is not cool.

Oh and I can’t forget about that apple I had for a snack this morning.

IMG_2835

Fiber much? 🙂

The Anti-Duck Face Movement

A co-worker’s Facebook status made me laugh this morning.

antiduck

From there I discovered http://antiduckface.com/ and lost 30 minutes of my life as I skimmed page after page of hilarious duck faces. (There’s even a video too!) I found the whole website ridiculous and hilarious because I too have posted several duck face photos of myself over the years.

Exhibit A)

Exhibit B)

Those are just 2 of millions! 🙂

Why do we make the ducky face? Who knows! But looking back I can’t help but laugh. I’m sure it made sense at the time. 🙂

What other ridiculous photo trends can you think of?

There’s always the classic Peace sign. 🙂

1 britchickruns July 27, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Haha that photo trend is so funny :p I’ve seen a lot of the fake-suprise faces – mouths gaping open, you know? People just can’t smile anymore 😛

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 27, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I LOVE yuca–especially in the form of baked yuca fries!!

Hahaha I feel like I made most of my duck faces in college 🙂 It was the thing to do!

3 Stephanie July 27, 2010 at 1:42 pm

ahahahaha, thanks for posting that duck face site, that is awesome! It’s good timing, because my fiance was just getting all riled up recently about how stupid that face looks. There are some people who never smile at all, that’s the only face they make, haha.

4 Sana July 27, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Bahahah! I have done it as well- it seemed like a good idea at the time 🙂

5 Brooke July 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm

yea, i’ve never understood that look!!! But, you are brave to post those photos!

6 Laura Georgina July 27, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I’m loving the duckface site! I’m more than guilty of that face.

One silly picture face that’s seriously underrated: the V/peace-sign on the side of the face. Apparently, it’s THE thing to do when you get your picture snapped in Korea. So silly, yet so hard to stop doing it in pictures!

7 Marilou July 27, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I had a huge peace sign phase as well 🙂

And what’s with the tongue .. I always slip my tongue out. I’d say that 75% of my pictures, I don’t have a straight face. Wierd 🙂

8 Emily G. July 27, 2010 at 2:14 pm

LOL! I love the duck face video! I saw it last week and about died laughing! Best.Workout.Ever!

9 Haleigh July 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I have never actually tried yuca before. I need to change that!

I think that people will always look back on old photos and think that they were being silly…. but at the time, it (being hair, make up, kissy faces, etc) made sense 😉

10 Kelly July 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Haha it’s definitely everyones drunk go to photo face. I know there are numerous of me out there also.

11 carly July 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm

LOL, I am SO guilty of the duck face. It’s like I see a camera and my face just automatically goes into that expression … I have no idea why!

12 Evan Thomas July 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I remember when it was cool to put the peace sign up behind someone’s head to make them look like they have antenae. We’re so mature

13 andrea @ a cake for a wife. July 27, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Hahahaha! Too funny. I always find myself doing a ‘nonchalant’ eye-rolling thing in photos, but the result is that I always just look bored! (See my blogger photo for evidence! 😉

Side note, I can’t believe how much you look like Kelly with your hair long. Normally I don’t see a LOT of resemblance between the two of you, but amazing what a difference the hair makes!

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 27, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Asians love the peace sign, ever notice that? The only people I know who do a peace sign in photos are asian. weird.

15 Nikki T July 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Or the other classic…thumbs up!

16 fitnessandsunshine July 27, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I get a bit bloated when I eat carbs… but with no carbs I have no energy!

The duck face is a little silly, I think. 🙂 Everyone does it once in a while though!

17 Nicole @ Getting Back to the Basics July 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Oh man, those are funny! In college I was notorious for sneaking a “Westside” hand gesture into every photo. It’s so embarrassing when I look through them now!

18 Sammi July 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Thanks a lot Meghann! Now I’m going to go waste a nice portion of my life looking through that website haha. It’s pretty hilarious!
Yeah, we’ve all done it. I thought people stopped doing that like 2 years ago? I guess not.

Am I the only one that went straight into “duck face” when reading this post? haha

19 missyrayn July 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

My favorite pair of pants are my measuring stick to see how I’m doing. This morning they fit fine and now I just had to change into a skirt because they were getting tight. Thank God I just live upstairs from my office.

20 Miranda @ MirandaJeans July 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Wow when you said you were going to grow your hair out, I thought hmmm naw, I dont’ think you should you you look good with short hair. But wow you look great with long hair too! 😡 <– my duck face

21 gavrielski July 27, 2010 at 3:10 pm

GREAT post! Other ridiculous trends: thizz face, peace sign, extra-cheese huge smile…I can’t wait to try yucca now, although I’m a little afraid of the fiber bloat! 🙂

22 biz319 July 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I like your new layout – its just like mine – I love the big letters, so much easier to read and a lot cleaner – love it! 😀

23 Jessie July 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm

whew! I thought I was the only bloat-faced person! If you think you were bad, This is what I had consumed yesturday (for snackish), 2 apples, 2 fiber one bars (!!), a whole bag of baby carrots (!!!), and to top it off fiber bread for lunch! I didnt realize it untill this morning… I am surely paying the price :-/

24 willrunforbooks July 27, 2010 at 3:16 pm

well – there goes my productivity for the rest of the workday….

25 sweetersalt July 27, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I know I rocked the shocked face / hand over mouth maneuver during my college days. Apparently it was cute? Not sure…

26 pursuitofhealthfulness July 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Haha, I think I’m more guilty of the peace sign than the duck face. I knew I couldn’t pull it off, but I also know quite a few people with the trademark kissy-face.

27 Exercise and Eat July 27, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I’m guilty of that- the mirror myspace style photo is also popular, but I dont do it!

28 Amy @ Second City Randomness July 27, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Kissy face and peace sign. I have no idea why I decided it was cool in the first place… but yeah, there were one too many pics like that back in the day.

And I am completely horrified with myself when I say that my friend has one on her camera of me doing that… from last weekend. I wanted to die. I guess when you’re with college friends, you revert to old habits? Ugh…

29 kaztronomic July 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I love the makeover on the blog! 😀

Yeah, duckface irritates me. =P I’m *very* anti-duckface.

30 The Healthy Hostess July 27, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Love those pictures! They bring back such funny memories of college. I think another classic is when you don’t look at the camera – like looking up when the picture is being taken! The biggest is probably the kiss face. 🙂

31 Heather July 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I’m a big offender of using the thumbs up sign too much!

32 runningwithsass July 27, 2010 at 5:17 pm

hilarious FB status! I dont know why, but I haven never really gone through a duck face picture phase!

33 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 27, 2010 at 5:41 pm

argh I now only too well how uncomfortable one can feel after too much fiber!! I am sure that it will settle down soon though!

34 avocadonation July 27, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Omfg. I am so guilty of the duck face + peace sign. Seriously. It started out as a joke, but now it has taken over my pictures. I’m glad I am not alone.

I find that Brussels’ sprouts give me the fiber/bloating issue if I eat too many. But they are just so good!

35 Fit Chick in the City July 27, 2010 at 7:59 pm

That is freakin hilarious!

36 Emilyeatsclean July 27, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I’ve never tried yuca. The random thumbs up and peace sign photos are always good ones too! 😀

37 Nicole July 27, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Never had yuca, but I will take note about how much it fills up. 🙂
Kissy face!! I am happy to say I don’t do it, but ALL my friends do, and it only annoys me in the slightest. I did the “mouth open + show profile” photo pose forEVER, along with the “glance up over there at that tree” in some wedding pics with my family, I think it looks SO funny, all dazed and confused, and gazing…

Poses. Hilarious.

38 michellestgermain July 27, 2010 at 10:11 pm

haha!! I loved that anti-duckface website. Brilliant. I didn’t know there was a name for the phenomenon!

39 jessica July 27, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Didn’t the movie Zoolander start this trend? Magnum anyone? Blue steel?

40 Eating Abroad July 28, 2010 at 6:17 am

How refreshing to talk about bloating. I know all the produce I’ve consumed in the last week has led to a very similar effect. Speaking of effect, how about the Vana White photos? You know, the ones with both hands to the side in a “you, too could own this..” fashion? Yeah, I’m sure we all have those photos.

41 kelly July 29, 2010 at 9:23 am

Haha thanks for sharing that anti-duck face site. Too funny. Some of my favorite funny sites are peopleofwalmart.com, akwardfamilyphotos.com and cakewreck.blogspot.com. Oh and thereifixed it.com is funny too- my dad definitely had some fix-its that could go on there!