Making Mondays Special

by Meghann on July 26, 2010

It can’t be Monday, can it?

This past weekend flew by yet again. Why is it that weekends where I don’t have anywhere special to be or places to travel seem to go by faster than weekends where I do? Where’s my snail’s pace weekend I’ve been striving for?

At least I’ve given myself a special treat in my training schedule by designating each Monday a rest morning.

Fun fact: I get less sleep on the weekends then I do during the week. True story.

So, by the time Mondays roll around I need to be able to sleep in and give myself at least a little rejuvenation. Building that extra time in my schedule is going to be a lifesaver in the long run. 🙂

I was out like a light by 9:30 last night and didn’t rise until 6:30. ‘Twas glorious.

(And yes, when you usually wake up 5:30 during the week, 6:30 is most definitely considered sleeping in. 😉 )

I took my time walking Maddie, showering, reading e-mail, and piecing together a yummy cereal bowl for breakfast.

IMG_2763

The secret ingredient? A slice of last night’s Amish Friendship bread crumbled on top. 🙂

IMG_2761

• 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Kix
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Strawberry Preserves
  • Apple
  • Crumbled Amish Friendship Bread

IMG_2765

Do you try and make Monday’s a little more special to ease your way in the work week? What’s your secret?

1 britchickruns July 26, 2010 at 8:55 am

I never do that with Mondays :p I just try and get them over with fast as possible!! As soon as Monday and Tuesday are done, I feel like I’m on the home straight 😀

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 26, 2010 at 8:57 am

I sleep less on weekends too. I end up going to bed later and waking up at the same time. There’s just so much I want to do on the weekends!

3 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 26, 2010 at 8:58 am

I don’t have a secret since my Monday is not a typical Monday in that sometimes it starts on a Saturday or Wed, etc. I work three 12 hour shifts. And my alarm goes off at 4am and my work begins at 530. Yes, so sleeping in until 630 is amazing, i agree!

4 Karla July 26, 2010 at 9:00 am

Mondays I’m usually revved up to start the week. I tend to lag a little bit on workouts and other stuff on weekends by doing fun types of exercise that aren’t that intense (aka I go for walks but am largely lazy), but during the week is when I turn it on and try to get the most of out the days.

5 Evan Thomas July 26, 2010 at 9:09 am

I used to have a 3 day school week last Semester, so when Monday rolled around I was starting to get tired of the weekend. It was awesome.

6 christina July 26, 2010 at 9:13 am

yesss i definitely plan for a fun breakfast or lunch to get me through the day. and sometimes coffee is necessary!

7 Marilou July 26, 2010 at 9:29 am

I’m famous for hating Mondays hehehe 🙂 I don’t do anything special …. but maybe wear my favorite undies since Sunday is laundry day? ehehhe

8 carly July 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

With my work schedule, I work Tuesday through Saturday, and have Sunday and Monday off. I really like the arrangement, mostly because Saturdays don’t feel like work days as we all stay super casual, and are usually able to finish up quickly! So when I go to work on Tuesdays, it’s like I’ve already had a three-day weekend. I know, I know … I’m lucky!

9 Sarah July 26, 2010 at 9:54 am

This is such a great idea. I think I may steal this idea.

10 mayapamela July 26, 2010 at 9:55 am

Ha, I like that your bowl has snowflakes on it. An attempt to cool down on a hot day? I love Amish friendship bread, my mom has received the starter in the past. It tastes like sourdough sweet quick bread!

11 lowandbhold July 26, 2010 at 10:08 am

I think I get less sleep on Monday’s too. Sad story. I try to make Monday’s special by having an extra positive attitude.

12 sweetersalt July 26, 2010 at 10:26 am

I usually try to make a fun dinner on Mondays to give us something yummy to look forward to. Helps to have something to look forward to at night.

13 missyrayn July 26, 2010 at 11:26 am

Monday is actually my busiest day so I can’t ease in. But I do enjoy relaxing after a crazy day.

14 pursuitofhealthfulness July 26, 2010 at 11:45 am

I try and schedule lighter classes for my Mondays. It doesn’t always work out, but it’s nice to ease into the week.

15 Sarah for Real July 26, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I don’t usually but maybe I should. That sounds like a really great idea!

16 Rachael July 26, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I’m a fan of clean slates, so every Monday represent a new chance to me – corny, but it gets me motivated. It also helps now that I’m “retired” – I started my own non-profit, which currently includes traveling, writing and interviewing activists around the country – i feel very, very lucky. It’s a pretty sweet deal, and I’m finding that days are losing the loaded meanings I had for them when I was working 9-5.

17 DiningAndDishing July 26, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I don’t make my Mondays very special…I like to use Monday as my “start the week right!” day with a good work out in the AM. However, Fridays are my rest day and I get to sleep in a whole hour and a half more. That makes the kick off to my weekend extra nice :).

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

18 Kelly July 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm

What a yum cereal bowl…that looks wonderful! I totally agree that with a breakfast like that Monday would be awesome!

19 Heather July 26, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I like to make Mondays my low maintenance day…I don’t like to schedule any extracurricular activities for Monday so I can just ease myself back in to the week without added stress.

20 Emilyeatsclean July 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Ummm I try to ease myself into every work day with extra frothy french pressed coffee every single morning!! 🙂