more ยป" />

Derek’s Next Big Challenge

by Meghann on July 26, 2010

Iโ€™ve got some exciting news for you! Or I should say, Derek has some exciting news for you down below. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But, first my snack of nuts.

IMG_2766

And my lunch of dips and dippers. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_2771

The Big News!!

Back in college I met this really great, amazing guy who always put a smile on my face and never stopped me from being myself. We dated, he graduated, and I moved on.

Fast forward a couple of years – throw in a college reunion, one too many hurricanes, and a spark that doesnโ€™t quit – youโ€™ll see that Iโ€™m once again with that really great, amazing guy who still makes me smile and never ever stops me from being myself.

Derek is my best friend. It doesnโ€™t get anymore plain and simple then that. Each day he never fails to surprise me on what he can do or accomplish. Like when he ran his first 5k, 10k, and 15k this past year or after the Disney Marathon when he told me as soon as I crossed the finish line that he wanted to run it by my side in 2011. This guy is hands down amazing.

Today he became even more amazing when he signed up to run the Walt Disney World Wine & Dine Half Marathon in October with the MS Society.

834934

Derekโ€™s plan all along had been to run the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, but he had misjudged how quickly the registration would sell out. When he started asking me if there was any other way he could enter I automatically suggested running with a charity. He knew how close the MS Society is to my heart and within two minutes of suggesting it he was registered and ready to fund raise for the cause. And that is why I love him.

DerekRnR5k

Multiple Sclerosis has affected my life in more ways than one. My late grandfather was diagnosed with MS before I was born, my co-workerโ€™s mother recently passed away from complications due to MS, and my Uncle continues to live with the diagnosis today. Iโ€™ve seen first hand the debilitating effects this disease causes and I want to do everything in my power to prevent this disease from taking over any other lives.

Please help Derek with this new adventure by making a small contribution to his donation page. Every penny counts and small donations really do add up. Derek has pledged to raise $850 for the MS Society before the race in October and I know with everyoneโ€™s help this goal is 100% obtainable.

I love this man and I love that he is supporting a cause that is so close to my heart. Hopefully with the money we help raise one less child will have to grow up with a chair bound grandfather or a mother who passes away well before her time.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart in advance for all your help.

Now, letโ€™s do this!

1 britchickruns July 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Go Derek! What an awesome cause and an awesome guy ๐Ÿ™‚ No doubt he’ll rock it if you’re his trainer!! I’ll definetly donate ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Marilou July 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm

You go Derek! How awesome that you rubbed your passion like this on your guy ๐Ÿ™‚ A great guy, indeed!

3 bridetobefit July 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm

WhoooHooo! That’s amazing. MS is so devestating, and it’s inspiring to see people like Derek running for such a great cause! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Melissa July 26, 2010 at 1:45 pm

My boyfriend and I are running the Wine and Dine race too. I’m so excited to complete a Half marathon in Disney and to celebrate in Epcot after.

Maybe I’ll see you and Derek there! ๐Ÿ™‚

5 FoodCents July 26, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Derek, from someone who lives with this unpredictable disease, each & every day, THANK YOU!!! Having lost a large part of my ability to walk, I envy those who can run. I find those who run, for those who can not, to be refreshing and warms my lil’ heart. It’s time to figure out what causes this disease and tear it down Seminole style (think of it as a Florida Gator ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of luck to you and let’s “Chuck Norris” this baby !!!

6 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Congrats to Derek- that’s awesome!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Corie July 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm

My aunt was just recently diagnosed with MS so this post was a bit emotional just as I’m sure it was for you! Congrats Derek – I’ll be donating to help you out and to support this great cause!

8 Allie July 26, 2010 at 2:07 pm

yay derek!!!

9 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 26, 2010 at 2:07 pm

MS really IS debilitating. I wish him the best of luck in reaching his donation goals.

10 Exercise and Eat July 26, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Dipping lunches are the greatest! Yummm!

11 Beth July 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Wow that’s wonderful for Derek to do! My mother has MS so it’s a cause very near and dear to me as well.

12 Kelly July 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Aww yay, congrats Derek and good luck! You guys are the cutest!

13 kaztronomic July 26, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Derek, you are awesome! Congrats! ๐Ÿ˜€

14 megabrooke July 26, 2010 at 3:06 pm

that’s great! i’ve commented here before when you posted about MS (i read all of the time anyway, but don’t always comment!). my boyfriend was diagnosed last year. he’s 29 and we were training for a half marathon at the time he was diagnosed. it’s been an eye opener, that’s for sure. but each day, he’s an inspiration to me. and people like your boyfriend and those that raise money to help cure this beast are what it’s all about. so thank you!

15 Amanda July 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Way to go, Derek! I think the two of you should sign up for the 2011 Detroit Free Press marathon. ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Sarah July 26, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Ahhh! My sister and I are coming down from Delaware for the Wine & Dine run! I was wondering if you were running it…I really hope I have a celeb-blogger sighting that day ๐Ÿ™‚

17 pursuitofhealthfulness July 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Saw your Tweet, and you’re right, this is an awesome post. It’s clear how much you really love the guy. Running for a charity just makes him all that much more wonderful.

18 christina cadden July 26, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I think you have a great guy!

19 Gavi July 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm

That is AMAZING!! My aunt has MS and I appreciate anything that folks do to support research for a cure! I will absolutely donate. Thank you, Derek, for supporting a very worthy cause!

20 Nicole July 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm

This is so great! My father passed from MS 6 years ago, so this is also a cause that means a great deal to me.

21 katie July 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Derek is a keeper!

22 biz319 July 26, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I’ve already done my donations for July – but I’ll donate in August! ๐Ÿ˜€

Go Derek!

23 willrunforbooks July 26, 2010 at 5:45 pm

wooo! good for him! I’m actually running my first half – chicago – on Sept 12 for the American Cancer Society – here’s my page:

It’s great that he’s doing it for such a good cause – I’ll donate when I get back from vacation!

24 Miranda @ MirandaJeans July 26, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Seriously teared up reading your blog. It’s so clear how in love you two are just reading how you feel about him. Also reading the stories you have wtih MS, make my think of my uncle who was diagnosed when I was young 6-8years old.

Yeah Derek! ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 26, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Oh that is wonderful!!! Great job Derek!

26 fitnessandsunshine July 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

That’s so exciting! ๐Ÿ™‚ Great for him, he can do it!!!

27 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) July 26, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Donated! Go Derek! ๐Ÿ™‚ This is so awesome

28 runningwithsass July 26, 2010 at 7:44 pm

thats awesome! I wanted to do wine and dine but was nervous about running so late at night. but, I amdoing the disney full!

29 Lauren @ Running Examiner July 26, 2010 at 7:55 pm

That’s awesome–what a great post!

30 Rachael July 26, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I cried a little (at work!) reading this. Good on you Derek!! Meghann, you are a lucky girl ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Emilyeatsclean July 26, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Awww how sweet!! ๐Ÿ™‚

32 missyrayn July 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm

MS is big for me because one of my best friends has it. I will be donating as soon as I can. How great that he supports you like that.

By the way…is that an engagement ring in the first picture? I thought that was the big announcement. ๐Ÿ™‚

33 Katie July 26, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Congrats!! That’s awesome that he can run all those 5k, 10k and 15k marathons. I would love to do that! You’re also awesome at running!! So jealous!

34 cookinfanatic July 26, 2010 at 9:46 pm

this is so awesome and totally hits close to home for me since my dad has MS and has had it for over 15 years now… he is basically a walking miracle which the doctors attribute to his pre-MS healthy lifestyle choices and the newest meds that he was put on upon diagnosis. anything to support this cause is amazing, thanks to you and Derek for being so fabulous!!!!

35 Rachael July 26, 2010 at 9:48 pm

That’s great news for a great cause! Two of my uncles died before they were forty from MS, and research towards the cure is something I’ve supported for a very long time – happy for another opportunity to do so!

36 Caity July 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Are you runing the Wine and Dine!? Me too!!!! SO EXCITED! Heading down a few days early too, and will be checking out the new Harry Potter park :):):)