more ยป" />

Craving Something Cold

by Meghann on July 26, 2010

Who needs a fancy schmancy spiralizer when I’ve got one of these babies?

That right there is a $1.50 vegetable peeler and it does the job of making vegetable pasta just fine. Or at least is does the job of making poor man’s vegetable pasta just fine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After work I got my stretch and sweat on at my favorite Hot Yoga studio.

Hot Yoga is just one more example of how I like to make my Mondays special. That feeling of bliss and relaxation I have every time I drive home is my treat for starting the week off right.

Hot yoga is, well, HOT and I also leave each class craving a cold drink and cold food. I can only take so many salads in a week, so when I came across Sabrina’s post on Zucchini Pasta earlier today I knew exactly what I was having for dinner.

With no spiralizer to call my own I improvised with the $1.50 vegetable peeler to make the ‘pasta’ out of zucchini and yellow squash. I then marinated the ‘pasta’ in a balsamic vinaigrette and added blue cheese, cherry tomatoes, craisins, and avocado to the mix. A wasa cracker was added on the side for crunch.

The results were cold, light, and refreshing. The blue cheese really made the dish by giving every other bite a strong, salty surprise. If you’re looking for the perfect summer meal to enjoy on a hot sunny day then this is it! ๐Ÿ™‚

I made the meal even more cold and refreshing by pairing it with a side of fresh watermelon.

Plus, lot’s of much needed H2O!

For dessert four Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies straight from the freezer.

Before hot yoga I had a Kashi Peanut Butter Granola bar.

In case you missed it!

I’m too tired to think right now. My mind is jumbled and my eyes are drooping. Time for bed.

Good night!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 26, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I had to comment that I use my peeler for spiralizing all the time! It’s not as noodle-y as a real one but it gets the job done and takes up virtually no space ๐Ÿ™‚ I like that you marinated it in balsamic–gotta try that one.

2 jennyinnewyork July 26, 2010 at 10:20 pm

am i imagining it or is this a different layout? Maybe its just my computer being weird… lol

3 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 27, 2010 at 9:00 am

different layout

4 Molly July 26, 2010 at 10:22 pm

mmm looks awesome! I need more veggies after today…m&m pretzels won out ๐Ÿ˜‰ haha

xo-Molly

5 BBx2 - Mandy & jR July 26, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Oooooh thin mints!!! I always admire that you have dessert each and every day with no guilt! It’s awesome!

I am in love with the Kashi PB granola bars. I bought some of the dark chocolate cherry this last round… which I do like – but not as much as the PB!

6 runningwithsass July 26, 2010 at 10:32 pm

did you change your blog layout? it seems bigger!

7 Julie @ Wearing Mascara July 26, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Ooooooo look who got a blog face-lift! I LOVE it! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Meg July 26, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Thin mints – delish ๐Ÿ˜€ I love the new blog look!!

9 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 26, 2010 at 11:33 pm

What a great idea!!

10 Happyolks July 26, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Oh boy, I can so relate to the Hot Yoga/cold food cravings. After a good sweat shesh, I like to head over to “Peace Pies,” a local vegan raw food joint where I get Zucchini Pasta. Thanks for the recipe, I’ll have to try this soon.

Glad I stumbled upon you on Twitter! Great post!

11 Rosey Rebecca July 26, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Veggie pasta is so good! I’m with everyone else so far, your blog looks new and different! What did you change? I like it!

12 Despues I Do - A Blog About What Happens After "I Do" July 26, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Derek’s a KEEPER! And kudos to you for making Monday’s less Monday-ish!

P.S. Love the new layout!

13 Alyssa July 26, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Awesome blog face-lift! A change of scenery is nice every once in a while ๐Ÿ™‚ And how awesome of Derek for running for such a great cause and challenging himself!

14 gavrielski July 27, 2010 at 12:16 am

I like the new blog look! It took me a minute to figure out what was different, but I like the layout (I think it’s the same theme I use for my blog…thesis?)! That watermelon looks outrageously tasty.

15 marie would July 27, 2010 at 12:40 am

new blog layout whoa! i like it! that ‘pasta’ looks good and it’s cool that you can whip it up with a peeler. i gotta say, you always impress me that you can whip up these original, healthy meals on your own. i guess i just lack your initiative!

16 pursuitofhealthfulness July 27, 2010 at 1:33 am

I love the endless amount of options with “salads.” Who needs a standard iceberg-tomato-cucumber blend when you can be so much more creative?

I’ve tried out zucchini “pasta” before, but didn’t think to add all those great mix-ins. Yum!

17 Kathy July 27, 2010 at 5:53 am

Love the new layout but where is your blog reader!? It was my favorite one!!!

18 Marilou July 27, 2010 at 7:30 am

Starting to change the layout eh? Love it so far!

I’ve always used the same trick to do zucchini pasta. Crazy how most of the time, you can definitely pass on expensive kitchen hardware with just a little improvisation!

19 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. July 27, 2010 at 7:58 am

Oh, that looks delish…all of it! Frozen Thin Mints are one of the best things ever!

20 Katie July 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

Oh my Thin Mints would not last in my house, I love those things!!!! My fave cookies ever!!! Congrats to Derek on his race soon! Kudos to him for signing up!!!

21 Tina July 27, 2010 at 8:04 am

That salad and watermelon looks like heaven to me. I have been craving watermelon and oh goodness I love craisins and blue cheese together. Good choice!

22 RhodeyGirl July 27, 2010 at 9:36 am

THANKS FOR THE SHOUT OUT!

Love the new design!

23 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Your pasta looks even better than the one made with a spiralizer. Yours looks more rustic ๐Ÿ™‚

24 missyrayn July 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Thank you so much for that trick. I don’t need another kitchen gadget but I really wanted to try veggie pasta. This will be fun after I hit up the farmers market this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚