more ยป" />

You Do Sweat

by Meghann on July 25, 2010

Derek took one look at me when I walked in the door after my 15 mile run this morning and goes ” so, you do sweat.”

Ummm…. yeah – I do sweat and this morning I sweated hard.

Those 15 miles were hot and sunny. I finished with a soaked pair of running shorts, a soaked sports bra, and even a soaked camelbak. Trust me, be glad you weren’t there to smell me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Before the run I had a piece of toast with Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter (Yum!) and fresh strawberries.

I ran the same out and back trail from my apartment as I did last week The only difference was I added another mile before turning around. I had the same problems as before with the hills and maintaining my pace and I also had the same joy when I hit that turn around point.

Just after the turn around point I had a serving of dried apricots for some mid-run fuel. I was out of shot bloks, so the apricots were a great alternative. ๐Ÿ™‚

Around mile 10 my ipod died and mile 14.5 my garmin died. Booooo…..

I know you’re probably tired of me complaining about the heat and the sun in each of my runs, but it really is the major challenge I face each time I head out. I’m not sure what I was thinking when I signed up for a race in the middle of October when I knew most of my training would need to take place during the hottest months Florida has to offer. I guess the thrill of the race overshadowed the pain of the training? Oh well, at least I know training in these conditions will make me a stronger runner in the end.

Plus, I feel a major sense of accomplishment each time I finished. (Even if I do look like I just went for a swim in a lake or something ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Derek was amazing as always and had homemade waffles waiting for me when I returned home.

While I was in the shower, he was microwaving some strawberries and blueberries with preserves (our favorite waffle topping) and mixing some yogurt with PB2. Once I god out of the shower I layered the waffle with the yogurt and berries then topped it all with granola. ๐Ÿ™‚

These had to be some of the best waffles I’ve ever had. I think the fact that Derek made them made them taste even better. ๐Ÿ™‚

We’re off to help my little sister move! Ironically the last time I helped Kelly move I had ran 18 miles that morning, this time it’s 15. ๐Ÿ™‚

See ya later alligator!

1 britchickruns July 25, 2010 at 10:03 am

Congrats on the run! I think you’re insane to do it in such heat :p I did 11 miles this morning and it was hardly hot..but still tough! Any more than freezing and I suffer :p
Have a good day!

2 Mica July 25, 2010 at 10:07 am

I don’t know how you run in the Florida summer. Ugh! I’m sweating buckets up here in east central Illinois, and I’m sure it’s not nearly as bad.

I wish I had homemade waffles waiting for me… Go, Derek!

3 Dori July 25, 2010 at 10:09 am

I don’t think it’s ironic that you last helped Kelly move after a really long run but it is definitely a fun coincidence! Your waffles look yummy!

4 Mandy A July 25, 2010 at 10:11 am

I always admire you for going out into the heat for your runs! Especially knowing what the Florida heat is like during July/August. I’m such a wimp, I just don’t do it!

Breakfast looks amazing!! I need to use that combo to top my waffles soon!

Good luck to Kelly with the move!

5 Julie @ Pickley Pear July 25, 2010 at 10:11 am

Great run! I am so impressed that you can run that far in the heat and humidity. I sweat like that in Bikram. I need a good sweaty run soon though, makes you feel like you worked that much harder ๐Ÿ™‚

And…what a fabulous bf ๐Ÿ™‚ I need one of those too. Waffles waiting for me? Yes, please!

6 greensandjeans July 25, 2010 at 10:19 am

I HEAR you on the summer heat Meghann! I am running Twin Cities in October so I am putting in my major mileage in the flipping hot Phoenix sunshine. Every run is a “what was I thinking??” moment!

7 Lindsay July 25, 2010 at 10:30 am

Props on the run! I think a lot of us who are training for October marathons are really tired of this battle against the heat at this point in the summer. I know I am. The Northeast has been hit with several heatwaves recently (including one going on right now), and it’s made my training so tough sometimes. I like hearing your complaining because it reminds me that I have some company in my misery! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Jess July 25, 2010 at 10:37 am

Also training for an October marathon – and the heat/humidity here in the Midwest has been horrid! I ran 12 miles yesterday morning, and it. was. hard. Hang in there!

9 Kelly July 25, 2010 at 10:40 am

Congrats on the 15 miles, I think we are all feeling the heat this summer. I can’t remember the last time it wasn’t in the high 80s or 90s!

10 gehr July 25, 2010 at 10:46 am

meghann, is menstrual period deficiency a symptom of yin deficiency?? i mean, i remember a while ago you mentioned you weren’t getting regular periods, but do you think this is why they’ve diagnosed you with yin deficiency?

11 Marilou July 25, 2010 at 11:02 am

You will kick the bootay of this race, when you’ll be in milder conditions ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish my boyfriend would cook me some waffles … Can I rent Derek? ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Maria @ a healthier Maria July 25, 2010 at 11:07 am

I feel the exact same way about training on hills. I hate it & don’t know what I was thinking but I know it will be make it stronger runner as well (or so I hope!)

Also, your breakfast looks AMAZING. Go Derek! ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Dawn July 25, 2010 at 11:26 am

Breakfast always tastes better when someone else makes it!

As for the heat – training it in makes you tougher! There’s a slight chance Chicago will be incredibly hot for the race (see: 2007, 2008), so if it is, you’ll be completely prepared. If it’s milder weather, then you’ll be all set to kick some serious butt. That BQ is totally in your future!

14 Jojo July 25, 2010 at 11:40 am

Just think, if you can keep your pace up during all these hot runs, you’ll have no problem with the BQ when the weather is cooler in Chicago in October!

It’s been a scorcher here this summer as well and I don’t have the dedication you do; most of my long runs have been on the treadmill!

15 Run Sarah July 25, 2010 at 11:42 am

Awesome job on the run in the heat – and too cute about Derek having waffles ready when you came home!

16 Nicole July 25, 2010 at 11:46 am

I was looking back at the post where you helped Kelly move after a 18 mile run and the comments about Kelly looking like Caitlin. I remember one of the first HTP post I read was during Caitlin’s marathon training where she and Kelly were running together. I just assumed they were sisters but wondered why Caitlin never mentioned a sister. Then one day you were talking about you sister Kelly and I was so shocked. Funny how genes play out.

17 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 25, 2010 at 11:49 am

Congrats on the run! ๐Ÿ™‚ Blogs like yours have really inspired me to start running. I’m more of a strength training kinda girl but I want to learn to run well so that maybe I can participate in races. Thank you!

18 Dione July 25, 2010 at 11:54 am

What? No sweaty picture confirming you do sweat? LOL, we’ll have to take the boy’s word for it! PS ANYONE would sweat after running 15!

19 freshman5k July 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I was soaked after my 11 miles this morning, and I live in MICHIGAN!

20 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 25, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Aaawww, what a good boy you have making you waffles, haha ๐Ÿ˜€

21 Caitlin July 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Hi Meghann, I’ve never commented before but I really enjoy reading your blog! When I read about your search for an indestructible case for your phone I was reminded of my similar situation for my iPhone (hello, my nickname is Droppy haha). Try ordering an “Otterbox” off amazon or somewhere. They’re meant for people in the army/contruction workers – hard plastic case plus a rubberized on ontop. I’ve dropped mine lots and its still great!

22 Miranda @ MirandaJeans July 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm

You know whats funny about sweat. I don’t typically sweat during my work out. It’s once I am cooling down that I start to sweat, and boy do I make up for not sweating during the workout, lol.

23 Laura Georgina July 25, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Ooh, there’s nothing better than the satisfaction of getting a run done in super-hot weather! It’s Florida weather year-round for me here in the Caribbean (major pain for training), but it really pays off when I head back home to NY state and do races there–the cooler weather has me shave at least 30 seconds per mile off. That’s definitely something to look forward to for your October race!

24 Tina July 25, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Congrats on the run. Pushing through 15 miles in Florida heat is no simple task. Those waffles sure look worth it though. Delicious!

25 Melissa @ Tryingtoheal July 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm

dude, i looked and probably smelled just like you after running just 9 miles this morning. but i have the dry heat, so even though i sweated as much as you did, i was just covered in salt by the time I got home. ๐Ÿ™‚ wish i had a boy like you to make me waffles to come home to! i had to make my own bfast!

26 fitnstitchin July 25, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Wow, those waffles are amazing looking! Yummy! Love your blog… Take Care

27 MissZippy July 25, 2010 at 3:01 pm

So how did you find a husband who will make you that awesome post-run breakfast! I need to tell my husband to do this!

And where do you find dark chocolate dreams p.b.? Sounds incredible.

28 runningwithsass July 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm

good job on the run! don’t feel bad balout complaining about the heat, I do it all the time, even though I am trying to stop!

29 Kate July 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I used to always complain about the wind ๐Ÿ™‚ Those things can make such a big difference- it’s fair enough to complain! I am a bit of a sweat-er, and I was so happy when I found out it (partly) means I’m fitter! I always felt so lame, especially in Pump class when I’d be sweating like one of those old gym dudes, so finding out it was a GOOD thing filled me with happy ๐Ÿ™‚

30 gavrielski July 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Congrats on your strong 15 miles–that’s so awesome, especially in the kind of heat you’re experiencing! Those waffles look absolutely delicious. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

31 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 25, 2010 at 6:13 pm

My oh my – awesome run!!! CONGRATS!

32 Molly July 25, 2010 at 7:44 pm

your waffle breakfasts always make me so hungry! yum!

xo-Molly

33 Rachael July 25, 2010 at 7:51 pm

After a two week backpacking and canoing sojourn through the Everglades, I learned the true meaning of humidity, Florida-style. Props on making it through your run!
I sweat like a beast. Lakes have been known to form at my feet.

34 missyrayn July 25, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I can’t believe you ran that many miles in Orlando heat. That is just gung-ho and all out. Those waffles are a great breakfast afterward.

35 Emilyeatsclean July 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm

It’s your blog and your run…..compain about the heat if you want!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Congrats on a successful run!

36 Kim July 26, 2010 at 8:30 am

I love eating raisins on my long runs! Have you tried them? Now that I’ve eaten dried fruit I’m totally over shots and gu.

37 Ed July 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

1. Those waffles look delicious. I may or may not have attempted to lick my monitor.
2. Awesome job on the run. Complaining about heat doesn’t get old to me because I do it too!! And I don’t even have that much humidity to deal with.