more ยป" />

Moving Day!

by Meghann on July 25, 2010

I learned a few things from helping my sister move today.

1. If you show up an hour late to help move, you automatically miss the whole ‘moving out’ process of the move. Oops…
  2. The more people, the shorter the time it takes to move. They were able to load up the whole apartment in the hour it took us to get there and we were able to unload it in about the same time. We were done before noon.
  3. I have a list of ‘I wants’ now for my future place. i.e. bigger kitchen, skylights for natural lighting, a fenced in backyard for Maddie to play in, an extra bedroom, etc.
  4. Unpacking and trying to decide where everything goes is no fun at all.
  5. I have the best family in the world and today was just one more example of how true that is. ๐Ÿ™‚

Derek and I were running pretty late this morning and managed to show up at my sister’s old apartment just as everyone was heading to their cars to head to the new place. Who knew they would have the whole place packed up in less than an hour? I guess when you have 9 people helping, packing up a trailer really doesn’t take much time at all.

Between my Dad’s large trailer, the expedition, 3 trucks, and two cars they managed to move Kelly and Anthony’s whole apartment in one trip. Not bad, if you ask me.

I instantly fell in love with my sister’s new place. Her and Anthony found an adorable duplex right near a great running trail. The duplex has a great fenced in backyard and tons of natural lighting. Helping her move really made me anxious to move myself.

Before:

IMG_2665.JPG   IMG_2671.JPG

IMG_2675.jpg

Let the fun begin!

After:

Kelly and Anthony have their work cut out for them trying to figure out where everything goes. Unpacking is where all the fun truly begins. ๐Ÿ™‚

Derek and I brought gatorades for all the helpers and I bought a Naked Juice for myself.

IMG_2678.jpg

I’ve always wanted to try one of these Naked juices, but they usually contain banana in their ingredient list. Luckily these new coconut water based juices are banana free. ๐Ÿ™‚ The tropical fruit flavor was the perfect refreshment for today’s hot, sunny weather.

While the boys finished up at the old place, the girls headed to Publix to pick up subs and snacks for the crew.

Kelly and I split a veggie sub with all the fix ins and I had some Fritos and fruit salad on the side.

Did you know Publix now toasts sub? Sweet!

My Dad was suggesting pizza for everyone, but there’s something about subs, chips, and fruit that just seems so much more appealing after working in the sun. ๐Ÿ™‚

You know what else is appealing after working in the sun?

Freezie Pops!!

Mmmm…. ๐Ÿ™‚

We stuck around to help Kelly and Anthony move some furniture, but eventually my couch was calling my name and it was time to head home.

I passed out almost as soon as I walked in the door and had a glorious 2 hour nap with Maddie by my side (she was pretty tired too). I’m not a big napper, but sometimes a nap is just required. ๐Ÿ™‚

When dinner time came around my stomach was about to eat itself. For having run 15 miles this morning I realized I hadn’t had nearly enough food to eat today! I tried to make up for it with an extra large taco feast for dinner.

On one side you will find a taco salad with arugula, pinto beans, taco seasoned soy crumbles, corn, onion, broccoli, tomato, avocado, and salsa.

And the other steamed yuca.

Yuca is in season at the moment and was extra fresh and delicious this evening. ๐Ÿ™‚

Last weekend Julie gave me a bag of starter for Amish Friendship Bread.

Amish Friendship Bread is an interesting concept where a friend gives you a bag of starter that you let sit on the counter for a few days, then add to the starter, wait a few more days, add some more, and then split the starter up to share with other friends before actually making the bread.

I wasn’t too exact in following the directions. I may have gone a day or two longer before adding to the starter and I may have subbed almond milk for regular milk (it’s all I had) and I may have used flax eggs instead of real eggs, but the final results still came out amazing.

The recipe was suppose to yield two loaves, but some how I just came out with one? Who knows what happened there.

I had a slice after dinner and I’ll admit I was skeptical after having the starter sit on my counter all week – there’s something about seeing a bag of goop on the counter that kind of throws you off – but I had no need to worry.

The bread came out moist, rich, and cinnamony. The slice I had tasted just like a delicious cinnamon bun. All that was missing was the icing.

This loaf was almost too good ( it may have been the 3 cups of sugar I added to it). ๐Ÿ˜‰ I hope my co-workers enjoy it just as much as I did because this bread is not safe on my counter. No, this bread is definitely a bring to work and share bread.

Now, I just need to find three friends to share the starer with. Anyone interested?

Another weekend has come and gone and another work week lays ahead. Time to sit back and relax before I head to be and the weekend officially ends.

Good Night!

1 Evan Thomas July 25, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I’m impressed you went through this ENTIRE post without once asking when Anthony was going to pop the question; tell me you were at least thinking it, lol ๐Ÿ˜‰

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 25, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Your family is awesome! I think my mom wishes she had more kids to help her move all her stuff ๐Ÿ™‚

Mmmm I love amish bread!!!

3 Jacquie July 25, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Can your family help me with my move?!?! It’s just me and my dad with my mom inside the apt ๐Ÿ™

And you know I’d be all over that Amish Friendship bread if I lived closer…

4 Tay July 25, 2010 at 9:12 pm

LOVE that bread! My old roommates made it once and I haven’t had it since!

5 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 25, 2010 at 9:17 pm

What a big day you guys have had!!!

6 runrantrealize July 25, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I want friendship bread! I don’t know how you’re going to get it to Canada though. Darn, maybe I should just make myself a starter. Anyone know how?

I hate moving, but maybe itsnjust cause I only have my boyfriend to help me. Can I borrow you’re family the next time I move?

7 christina cadden July 25, 2010 at 9:34 pm

all that foods looks amazing!

8 heidi July 25, 2010 at 9:36 pm

!!! I haven’t had friendship bread in AGES but i do remember it being DELICIOUS! Looks fabulous ๐Ÿ™‚

9 marie @ marie would July 25, 2010 at 9:38 pm

this post has me so anxious for my move next week! can you ship over some of your relatives to help me please?

10 BBx2 - Mandy & jR July 25, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Ooooooooooh that Amish bread is a dangerous thing for me to have around our house! It’s so good! Love your substitutions – even if they weren’t exactly intended! I may try that next time – course… haha I don’t think that will be any time soon for me ๐Ÿ™‚ The last time we did, my mother in law did amazing varieties – orange and cranberry, white chocolate, etc.

I had no idea publix is toasting subs now! Score!

And yeah… sometimes, a nap is in order ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you took advantage!

11 runningwithsass July 25, 2010 at 9:44 pm

moving is so stressful but also fun b/c I love resetting up “house’

12 Rosey Rebecca July 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I can def. relate to #1 on the list of things you learned. My boyfriend and I stopped for coffee before trying to help our friends move a couple months ago and by the time we got there, they were already done!

I agree- subs sound MUCH better than pizza after completing a big project like that in the sun. ๐Ÿ™‚

13 amanda July 25, 2010 at 9:55 pm

ah. moving is hellish. i’m impressed with your mad skills. lots of help always equals easier. phew for good family and friends!

i loveeee those bag bread pass along’s. i think they are so fun and friendly! if i lived closer i’d participate with you.

14 Exercise and Eat July 25, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Your juice looks delish!

15 Molly July 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm

yum that looks awesome! and move in days…gotta love them. but its exciting to move into a new place, its like a new start ๐Ÿ™‚ almost like endless possabilities. I hope your sister and Ant love it!

xo-Molly

16 fitnessandsunshine July 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Wow that bread looks so moist and delicious! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 emilydianne July 25, 2010 at 10:24 pm

That new place looks awesome! I had yucca for the first time this weekend – and definitely want to try it in a different form (I had it “yucca fries,” and didn’t really enjoy them). Suggestions on how to prepare it girl?

18 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I’m with you on unpacking. It is no fun at all ๐Ÿ™ The new place really does look good, though!!

19 Katie July 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I TOTALLYYYY want some of that Amish Friendship Bread! If you are finding someone to give one to, I would love to have one ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve never had it before and I’ve seen it on your blog and PBFingers.

20 Emilyeatsclean July 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm

umm yea unpacking sucks! the hubs and i still have boxes after our move 7 weeks ago! ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Katie July 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Oh and I totally know how you feel about moving in. I’m about to move into an apartment and it’s gonna be a lonngggg day!

22 Courtney July 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Yummy! Amish friendship bread takes me back to Girl Scout days… that stuff is delish!! =D

23 Ash Bear July 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm

OMG! My mom would LOVE a starter kit. She did these all the time when I was growing up!!

24 Nekeisha July 26, 2010 at 12:32 am

I actually have that recipe, well all of them. There are 3 “regular” breads, a chocolate bread, pretzel and a cinnamon bread I think, maybe I dont have all. It was shared around my crochet group. It really is good. As long as you remember no metal there is very little to mess it up.

25 missyrayn July 26, 2010 at 12:44 am

Somehow I always end up on the opposite end of #1. I have a big 12 passenger van that we take all the seats out of so everyone waits for me ๐Ÿ™‚

I did that bread once in seminary and it was GOOD! I need to try it again soon.

26 Eating Abroad July 26, 2010 at 3:44 am

I’ve been wanting to start up sourdough and when reading about it last week, the process reminded me a lot of Amish Friendship Bread. So, I temporarily changed my mind and decided to start up a batch of Amish Friendship Bread. Thanks for the reminder… I’ll have to look into making the starter.

27 illa July 26, 2010 at 7:33 am

did you find that that amount of food filled you up after that much exercise?

28 amyt July 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

if you’re still looking to send out the friendship bread I’m game!

29 megabrooke July 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm

would it be weird to send the friendship bread to boston? because if not, im totally down!

30 BroccoliHut July 28, 2010 at 5:44 pm

haha, great moving tips–they’ll come in handy for me in a few weeks!