Hittin’ the Track

by Meghann on July 22, 2010

One of the many advantages to running the Chicago Marathon in October is the fact that I have so many friends that will be running it too. It’s as if this year’s Chicago Marathon is last year’s Disney. 😉

Though most people running the marathon are spread out all over the country, I do happen to know two locals who are willing to wake up early every once in a while and complete some training runs with me. This morning just happened to be one of those mornings.

I met my sister and our friend Sarah for some yassos at a local track before the sun rose this morning. And if you can believe it or not when I pulled into the parking lot just before 6:00am the track was full of what looked like some sort of training group just finishing up. I couldn’t believe how many people were there so early. If they were just finishing up at 6:00, then they had to have gotten there at least an hour before at 5:00. Now, that’s dedication!

Luckily, by the time we were ready to run the track had cleared and we had it all to ourselves.

For those unfamiliar with the term Yasso, it’s a speed work out where you run an 800 under the time you want to complete your marathon (i.e. if you want run a 3 hours and 40 minute marathon then you complete each 800 under 3 minutes and 40 seconds) back to back with the equal time rest in between.

Pretty confusing right? It took me a while to get it too. 🙂

Our goal today was to complete 6 yassos under 3:40. I had preset my Garmin to do interval distances of .50 with a .25 rest, but looking back I should have programmed a distance/ time interval with .50 and 3:40 rest. My rest times in between each yasso were all at least a minute short. Ooopss…

I guess I learned my lesson for next time. 🙂

Here’s how my stats broke down. You can tell I was getting tired and slower towards the end.

Distance : Time (Pace)

.25:    2:19 (9:02) < – warm up

.50:    3:26 (6:59)

.25:    2:35 (10:14)

.50:    3:35 (7:11)

.25:    2:28 (9:56)

.50:    3:39 (7:20)

.25:    2:23 (9:36)

.50:    3:38 (7:18)

.25:    2:29 (9:59)

.50:    3:50 (7:41)

.25:    3:33 (14:16) < – water/ walking break

.50:    3:38 (7:17)

Plus cool down walk to car that went untimed in Garmin 🙂

The track work out was great. In between the 800s it was nice to catch up with Sarah and Kelly. The breaks really helped keep my sanity, which is why I think I like yassos. 🙂

We plan to meet up again in two weeks for 8 yassos instead of 6. Can’t wait!

I stopped at Publix on the way to work and gave myself a shower in a sink before heading to work. I also used an obscene amount of body spray on myself, but hey – a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. 😉

Breakfast had been patiently waiting for me in my car.

IMG_2388

There was just the tiniest bit of preserves left in the container, so I figured why dirty unnecessary tupperware when I could just pack my yogurt with that last little bit of preserves.

IMG_2391

IMG_2393

And then just added them to my cereal mix when I got to work.

IMG_2408

A red plum to cover my fruit quota for the morning

IMG_2407

Consumed in less than 10 seconds 🙂

IMG_2416

Happy Thursday Everyone!

1 runningwithsass July 22, 2010 at 9:32 am

that sounds like a tough workout, good job!

2 britchickruns July 22, 2010 at 9:34 am

Yasso sounds confusing, tough, but fun! I like having a proper mission when I run 🙂

3 Marilou July 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

Confusing!

Wow, finishing a work out at 6 am? That is INTENSE … I feel hardcore when I wake up at 5:45 to work out .. ich, think again!

4 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 22, 2010 at 9:49 am

Yeah, that would be tough to get a handle on. I can’t wrap my head around all these little training runs. …maybe that’s why I don;t train for anything

5 pursuitofhealthfulness July 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

We used to do workouts like that all the time in cross country, but I never heard it referred to as a yasso! BTW, the strawberry-basil jelly sounds really good! I love combinations like that!

6 Kelly July 22, 2010 at 9:55 am

Haha my bf had to do the sink shower thing yesterday at work. I really enjoy interval workouts also, I think time flies when doing them.

7 Amy July 22, 2010 at 9:56 am

I’d never heard of a yasso when I did XC or track either but we did similar types of workouts. We always did a lot of fartlek and tempo runs though. I need to do them again!

8 biz319 July 22, 2010 at 10:19 am

What a great way to start your day!! I may have to cheer you on in Chicago!

9 biz319 July 22, 2010 at 10:22 am

Meghann, I forgot to add, I recently made a sugar free raspberry basil jelly – comes out to 18 calories a tablespoon, you might like it if you have extra raspberries 😀

10 freshman5k July 22, 2010 at 10:25 am

Great workout! I always get made fun of at work when I go in with wet hair, but I just brag that I ran that morning to shut them up 🙂

11 Heather July 22, 2010 at 10:41 am

I have never heard of a yasso – thanks for the explanation!

I’ve never given myself a shower in a grocery store bathroom – but I have had baby wipes showers after a run.

Enjoy your day!

12 Rosey Rebecca July 22, 2010 at 11:28 am

Awesome run! The preserves and yogurt idea is genius and it looks pretty, too!

13 Brooke July 22, 2010 at 11:59 am

Wow, I commend you for doing all the exercise you do. I don’t know how you do it. I run less than you and eat twice the calories you do, and i’m still considered underweight! It’s weird! How do you make sure that you eat enough?

14 Erin July 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I’ve never done proper Yassos (heard of them, though, since I read his book) but I do track every week with my running group. I’ve tried track workouts by myself but it’s so much more fun to do them with people!

15 marie would July 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm

yeehaw! i want to try some yassos (& i’m not training for a darn thing)! also, the word ‘yasso’ makes me want to talk like a cowgirl.

16 Courtney July 22, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Get excited for Chicago!! Have you ever been there?

17 La Historiadora de Moda July 22, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I’m so jealous you’re running the Chi marathon! I wanted to register, but by the time I went to the website it was closed.

Your breakfast looks delicious!

18 sweetersalt July 22, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Love a sink shower – better than baby wipes 🙂

19 jenny in new york July 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm

hahah sink shower. love it. Anything for a good track workout 😉

20 Becky July 22, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I love reading about these training workouts. I’m training for my first marathon and I want to mix up my training with speed, hills, and fancy things like Yassos, but I can’t seem to get a grip on it all. I just hit the road running and whatever happens happens….nice work!

21 gina July 23, 2010 at 1:59 am

Cool! Great job! You are so dedicated!