Florida College of Integrative Medicine

by Meghann on July 22, 2010

You may have been asking yourself why I was so excited about my doctor’s appointment this afternoon.

No, I’m not pregnant. (I’m training for a marathon here people!)

I was excited because the doctor’s appointment was at the Florida College of Integrative Medicine.

The FCIM is a school that focuses on the teachings of oriental medicine and emphasizes in treating ailments with acupuncture, herbology, and traditional Chinese medical massage. Caitlin’s husband recently graduated from her and when I told her I was having some issues she highly recommended that I test out the student run clinic for help.

I’m always up to try something new and decided to give the clinic a shot.

The student doctor immediately brought me back to the examination room and asked me a variety of questions regarding my lifestyle, eating habits, and any changes I may have noticed regarding my mood or body recently. It was odd being treated by someone that was my age, but I guess I need to learn to get over that? I ain’t getting any younger after all. In truth he was really a great down to earth guy and made me feel comfortable in answering so many person questions.

After thirty minutes of discovery I was diagnosed with a Yin Deficiency. I’m not 100% sure what that means exactly, but I was given a list of dietary recommendations, acupuncture, and a massage to combat the deficiency.

The acupuncture was my favorite part of the visit. It was my first experience with acupuncture and it was just as relaxing and soothing as I always imagined it would be. I pretty much fell asleep on the table. πŸ™‚

I have ann appointment to return in a couple of weeks to check in on my Yin. Let’s hope my yin is in a better place by then. πŸ™‚

The whole appointment oddly wore me out. I returned home tired and ready for bed. I was also hungry and managed to prep a great dinner before passing out.

My 5-minute Black Bean Burger was literally done in 5 minutes. I simply threw a can of black beans, some flax seed, whole wheat flour, bread crumbs, and blue cheese in my food processor then formed a couple of patties that I cooked on the stove top.

I topped my burger with BBQ sauce and roasted red pepper. It was a little mushy, but still tasty.

On the side I had some simple carrot fries that I baked in the oven for 10 minute at 425.

And the last of the left over Harvest Grains mix.

One of Amanda’s Patriotic Blondies for a late dessert. πŸ™‚

I can barely keep my eyes open. Time for bed.

Good Night! πŸ™‚

1 eatmovewrite July 22, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I go to my accupuncturist for everything!!! I go regularly for my carpal tunnel (who gets severe carpal tunnel at 28?!?), but I also went to him when I got a cold that turned into bronchitis. I could NOT believe how fast I got well.

Oriental medicine is seriously the way to go.

Note: it may not happen to you, but when they put the needles in my ankles or wrists, those areas are weaker for about 24 hours. Meaning, I wouldn’t run on ankles that they put needles in for atleast a day. Just my advice. πŸ™‚

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I’ve never tried acupuncture before, but it sounds really interesting. I hear so many good things about it.

3 ellaroo88 July 22, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Huh- sounds cool! I’ve never had acupunture but it sounds really cool. I’m not sure how I feel about it but I want to hear a full report when you get it done.
Also Doctors appointments always wear me out. I think it’s the little bit of fear that comes with them

4 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm

oooh I have been meaning to try acupuncture again for some time now – although my first exprience was a little crazy. The fella who did my initial exam wanted me to go 4 times a week and drink some concoction which I could only buy from them that was $100 per week. Um no thanks. So yeah – it seems like there are some con artists out there too!

5 Marilou July 22, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I’m thinking of trying apcupuncture for migraines, but I admit that I’m a little scared ….

6 runningwithsass July 22, 2010 at 9:59 pm

very interesting! what are you supposed to eat more or less of?

7 Meghann July 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I’ll post the list he gave me soon πŸ™‚

8 christina cadden July 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Interesting. I will be curious to see hear that works.

9 Alexis @ Mission: Ambition July 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Sounds cool – can’t wait to see if it helps you out. I’ve never gone to any non-traditional (by western standards) medical providers but I’m definitely intrigued. I’ve always wanted to try acupuncture!

10 fitnessandsunshine July 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Hm I’ve never had acupuncture but it sounds interesting + I hope it helps you! πŸ™‚

11 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Ooh awesome!! My friend is going to school for acupuncture. I should really check out the student clinic there. I’ve never gotten a full treatment, but she’s done some tests on me haha.

12 Caitlin July 22, 2010 at 10:58 pm

The husband agrees with your Yin deficiency πŸ™‚

13 Sarah July 23, 2010 at 1:41 am

I’ll bet it was the acupuncture treatment that wore you out. It can be really effective but have interesting side effects. I had some fainting spells the next day after one session. I’m interested to know what foods they recommended!

14 pursuitofhealthfulness July 23, 2010 at 2:21 am

I’m not sure whether we have anything like your doctors appointment near where I live, but it sure sounds interesting! What kind of diet advice did they offer?

P.S. I LOVE roasted red peppers on anything, so that burger looks delish!

15 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 23, 2010 at 8:07 am

I wish we had a place like that around here- sounds awesome! Hope your yin gets better πŸ˜‰

16 Lacey July 23, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hi Meghann, I am so curious to hear about the dietary recommendations. I remember that when I used to get acupuncture treatments regularly during high school, my doctor told me to avoid spicy things, caffeine, alcohol, and ice during certain times. Plus he made me super gross tea concoctions that were mostly leaves but also had dried stick bugs and sometimes scorpion powder. Not delicious.

17 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com July 23, 2010 at 9:42 am
18 Becky July 23, 2010 at 9:44 am

I’m so sorry you haven’t been feeling 100% and I hope that this doctor’s suggestions help you to feel better soon! I’d be curious to know what sort of symptoms you’ve been having that suggest a Yin Deficiency, and what sorts of steps you are taking in your treatment, but of course, I know that’s private info and completely understand if you don’t want to share!

19 mayapamela July 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

That sounds so interesting! I’m curious as to the dietary changes the student doctor recommended. Will you be adopting them?

20 Meghann July 23, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I’m going to try, I’m taking the list of reccomended foods to the store with me this weekend

21 Brittany July 23, 2010 at 11:27 am

I’ve been wanting to go to acupuncturist forever, but it’s super expensive and my insurance doesn’t cover it. :/ Seeking a student doctor sounds like a great idea. I’ll have to see if we have any in the area.

Did you get any needling done yesterday or just the physical exam?

22 Meghann July 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I had the actual acupuncture done. It was quite an experience. GOing through the school it was only $15 for the visit!

23 fitandfortysomething July 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm

oh i love this! i am all for alternative docs πŸ™‚

24 Miranda @ MirandaJeans July 23, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I hope your Yin gets better. πŸ™‚

25 Claire July 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I just started to see an acupuncurist a couple of weeks ago.I’ve had digestive issues for years and have been to 3 GI doctors.So far,she has made logical recommendations which my previous doctors didn’t.They were ALL about meds and nothing about nutrition.I’m actually hopeful for once.The hard part is changing bad habits and RELAXING more for me.hehe…we’ll see:-)cc

26 luckytastebuds July 24, 2010 at 6:22 am

I’m a true believer in the powers of acupuncture! Every time I visit Hong Kong, I visit my acupuncturist for a ton of random issues…lady problems (like baaad period cramps) and nerve inflamation. Every time, the doctor is able to help without me needing to take any chemicals. πŸ™‚

Did you know that there are a lot of foods that you can eat to help improve the balance between your yin and yang? I looked up little blurb on Chinese food therapy for you to check out! Since this is a blog about food after all, there are some yin foods that can help you improve your yin! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_food_therapy

27 Teeny July 26, 2010 at 1:36 am

Acupuncture has been a Godsend for me. I injured my back in nursing school and acupuncture saved me! I am a true believer and recommend it to my patients all the time πŸ™‚

I experienced the same drowsiness too – my acupuncturist said it’s pretty common and can often be especially pronounced after your first session!