The Couch is my Friend

by Meghann on July 21, 2010

Fun fact: I started writing this post from the bottom up. πŸ˜‰

Do you ever have one of those days when you walk through the door and you think to yourself “Thank God I’m home”? Today was one of those days. I swear my couch never looked as glorious as it did this evening.

Here’s one of my dirty little secrets: I only work out in the morning, so I can come home after work and turn into a couch potato without any guilt. The couch just calls my name after a long day! Well, the couch and my DVR. You can’t forget the DVR. πŸ˜‰

Before leaving work I had a Peanut Butter Kashi Bar.

Dinner was inspired by Tina and her recent admiration for buffalo tofu.

The tofu was nothing fancy. After pressing the tofu I marinated it in some buffalo sauce then baked it at 420 for 20 minutes, flipped it, and baked for 20 more.

Underneath the tofu was where all the magic lived. πŸ˜‰

I made a chopped veggie salad of sorts with broccoli, olives, roasted red pepper, artichoke hears, rolled dates, mushrooms, and a drizzle of vinegar. The blue cheese on top really pulled everything together. It kind of reminded me of buffalo chicken wings with blue cheese dressing. An old favorite I haven’t had in ages. You can’t go wrong with blue cheese and buffalo sauce. πŸ™‚

There’s always a big debate at every table on what goes better with chicken wings: ranch or blue cheese dressing. I’ve always been a big fan of blue cheese, but I know there are ranch fans out there too. What about you? Ranch or Blue Cheese? You can only choose one! πŸ˜‰

A tiny assortment of chocolate, cereal, and strawberries satisfied my sweet tooth for dessert.

Fun Links

• Remember when I was a Chevy Girl on the Go ? Recently I discovered the interview segment on the WESH website that I had recorded for the promotion. Better late than never, right? If you’re curious to see how my interview skills stack up, you can check out the interview by clicking here.
  • Woman’s Day featured my delicious Coconut Shrimp recipe in a recent article on their site. Check it out!
  • Heading to the Healthy Living Summit and looking for things to do in Chicago? Check out our fun post on what to see and do in Chicago! Who wants to go to Hannah’s Bretzel with me?! πŸ˜‰

I still have a solid hour of quality time to spend with my couch before bed. I better make the most of it!

Good night! πŸ™‚

1 carly July 21, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Hmm, I do love blue cheese dressing, but ranch gets me every time. πŸ˜‰

2 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. July 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Blue cheese, for sure!

As for Hannah’s Bretzel, yes please…it looks amazing and the name is super fun to say!

3 Julie @ Wearing Mascara July 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm

1. I will go to Hannah’s Bretzel with you!

2. I LOVED your coconut shrimp recipe SO MUCH. (see my post about it here: http://wearingmascara.com/index.php/2010/05/really-yummy-baked-coconut-shrimp/). My bf and junk-food-loving-roommate loved it too. I’m so happy it got featured – congrats!

4 Marilou July 21, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I love blue cheese dressing, but blue cheese itself kinda gross me out … hehe, guess I’m not a grown up enough πŸ˜‰

5 Beth July 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

i need your tips for working out in the morning! the snooze always calls my name but it is so nice to get it over with…and then by evening i don’t want to do anything either!

as for hannah’s bretzel, i work not too far from there – i will definitely hit it up with you if you want!

6 jenngirl July 21, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Yep, most of my motivation for early exercise comes from the desire to veg out for the later half of the day. Something about the afternoon/early evening just screams naptime to me!

7 Caz July 21, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Ranch is okay if there’s no blue cheese on offer. But Blue Cheese wins every time in my book.

8 Despues I Do July 21, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Ranch, ranch, ranch! I personally think blue cheese has such a strong flavor that it overwhelms the buffalo wings!

I love long evenings with the couch and DVR as well. It’s sad to admit it but I can’t imagine life without my DVR!

9 shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 21, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Blue Cheese!!!

I also workout in the morning whenever possible or directly after work so that I can veg out once I am home.

10 Kristen July 21, 2010 at 9:48 pm

There is no place like home, and definately no place like your couch! Especially tonight, just finished up a 2 1/2 day sales meeting, so I’m completely wiped and just laying here enjoying my couch.

I must vote for Ranch because blue cheese reminds me of a moldy basement, it just smells weird and tastes too strong for my liking!

11 Amy July 21, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Nice interview, Meghann! I love seeing bloggers on video to match the voice/personality with the blog. You seemed really natural and comfortable. Good job! πŸ™‚

12 christina cadden July 21, 2010 at 9:57 pm

mmm, that salad looks good!

13 Dynamics July 21, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Ranch all the way….Blue Cheese smells.

14 laura July 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm

i will totally go to hannahs bretzel with you! i actually stumbled upon this place a few months ago and have wanted to go ever since. as a philly girl, i love love love my soft pretzels, so what could be better than a sandwich on a pretzel?!

15 RhodeyGirl July 21, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I’m a Philly Girl too! Hi fellow Philly girl!

16 Lindsay July 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I used to prefer ranch, but now i can’t eat them with anything but blue cheese. I love its super intense taste!

17 steph July 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Hannah’s Bretzel is good, but I prefer Goodwin’s!

18 Heather July 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Ranch, ranch, ranch!

Your recipe in Woman’s Day sounds awesome too!

19 Stephanie July 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I’m from Buffalo and no self respecting Buffalonian would ever use ranch for their wings. I love me some ranch on other foods, but blue cheese is a way of life in Buffalo.

20 Leah July 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I’m a couch potato at heart too – that’s why morning workouts work best for me!

RANCH FTW! I hate blue cheese. HATE.

21 Diana July 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm

hannah’s bretzel is phenomenal! I would love to go there with you. My teammates and I try to go there once a week for lunch so that we can sample all of the different sandwiches. They also have a wall of chocolate from different places so it’s nice to try something new

22 marie would July 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm

RANCH BABY YEAH! also, i have got to try your shrimpy recipe. love that you single sized it!

23 Lauren L. July 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I’m in for the bretzel!

24 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Have fun!!! Enjoy your evening – and one the major perks of working out in the morning!!!

25 caronae July 21, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Ranch:)

26 Erin July 21, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Ranch! I can’t stand blue cheese in any form.

27 RhodeyGirl July 21, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I am such a lazy bum after work (or workout). I just sit on the couch and work the rest of the night, in between running around doing laundry etc. I love being a bum.

28 Noelle July 21, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Hannah’s Bretzel is good, and they have all nutritional info available online which is nice… but we warned- its definitely not a place to go for ambiance. Its located in what is essentially an enormous food court. I would say its comparable to an organic Subway conceptually. If Subway had delicious chocolate at the register and good tea. A good place to go on lunch break.

29 missyrayn July 22, 2010 at 12:00 am

I bought more tofu today just to do this. πŸ™‚

30 emily July 22, 2010 at 12:09 am

Blue cheese! I think buffalo sauce and blue cheese go well on anything!

31 newleafeats July 22, 2010 at 12:36 am

I’ve never tried the PB Kashi bar… oh my!

I’m a ranch girl! But really that’s not saying much. Ranch is a salad dressing or veggie dip. Nothing else. I don’t put it on my fries or my pizza or anything strange like that. In fact, I rarely put it on my salads or use it as veggie dip. I’m pretty sure my bottle of ranch will spoil before I can use half of it.

32 Christie July 22, 2010 at 12:41 am

I hate blue cheese! I’ve tried to like it because my husband likes it. I even made Rachel Ray’s wingless buffalo chicken pizza with blue cheese but it just tastes moldy to me! I <3 ranch!

33 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 22, 2010 at 12:46 am

I sometimes write my posts from the bottom up also. πŸ™‚ I definitely write the recipes out first then the rest. Being a couch potato is much needed sometimes!

I’m an ex-cheese lover turned vegan, but for some reason I NEVER liked blue cheese. I just couldn’t get past the…blue. I did enjoy a good amount of ranch in my day though. πŸ™‚

34 Dawn July 22, 2010 at 1:25 am

I workout in the mornings for the exact same reason! It is so much easier to get myself out the door first thing instead of at the end of the day when I just want to relax and veg out. Plus, on days when I have a big workout, I feel like a total badass knowing that I’ve run 7 miles (or whatever it is) before breakfast.

35 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 22, 2010 at 1:34 am

Buffalo tofu sounds amazing!! WOW!

omg ranch vs blue cheese- thats not fair! haha. ok.. hmm only one, id say ranch i guess. but thats almost too close to call πŸ˜‰

im a morning workout girl too πŸ™‚

xo

36 pursuitofhealthfulness July 22, 2010 at 1:46 am

I am exactly like you! It’s not that I am just oh-so in love with morning workouts, but it makes it worth it when, at the end up the day, you can totally veg out!

P.S. I love buffalo tofu, but don’t like blue cheese or ranch! Plain and simple for this girl.

37 Tina July 22, 2010 at 6:52 am

My husband is the same way. He goes to the gym at 5 am to come home and crash on the couch. My couch time is broken up but it’s usually with the computer. I do have one show a night waiting for me on the DVR though. It’s always the perfect way to wind-down.

38 rachael July 22, 2010 at 7:11 am

Oh my god! You are so cute! Great job on the WESH interview πŸ™‚

39 Rosey Rebecca July 22, 2010 at 7:43 am

I actually don’t like blue cheese or ranch. I prefer a thick balsamic on my salads.

I love your fun link section!

40 atastelife July 22, 2010 at 8:50 am

Blue cheese – but that wouldn’t have been the answer a year ago. My how our taste buds can change.

41 Sarah July 22, 2010 at 9:01 am

ranch please! blue cheese…. not a fan. i’ve tried it over and over and i just don’t care for it. and i work out in the morning for the same reason. last semester (i’m in grad school) i had 8 am’s and because of the snow in indiana couldn’t work out in the am outside. so 5:15 runs for me it was… ugh. i love summer!

42 Annie July 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

Blue Cheese! So tasty.

43 Beth @ DiningAndDishing July 22, 2010 at 11:22 am

Bleu cheese for sure!! I like everything I eat to pack major flavor :))).

44 sweetersalt July 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I am a blue cheese and buffalo girl! Lately I’ve been making my own creamy blue cheese dressing with yogurt (recipe: http://sweetersalt.com/2010/06/18/healthy-creamy-salad-dressing/) then mixing in some buffalo sauce. All the taste and none of the guilt. So gooood!

45 Alexis {Mission: Ambition} July 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Ranch! I have never been a blue cheese fan. Ranch has been my favorite since I was little and I used to put it on just about everything, lol.

46 Ed July 22, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Ranch all the way! I’m not a fan of blue cheese. I also enjoy ranch with french fries and a little garlic salt.

47 Katie July 24, 2010 at 7:47 pm

That buffalo marinated tofu looks great! I saw the same thing on Tina’s blog as well and now that you’ve tried it I would love to!!