more ยป" />

Lunchbox Staples

by Meghann on July 20, 2010

Need an idea for a fun new snack? Try this!

IMG_2268

Take the last crumbs of a bag of cinnamon pita chipsโ€ฆ

IMG_2269

And combine with unsweetened applesauce.

IMG_2273

Apple Crumble anyone? You can thank me later. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That snack was the highlight of my day. Crunch and sweet! Yum!

Lunch wasnโ€™t bad eitherโ€ฆ just not as exciting as the snack. ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_2275

I had a few errands to run during my lunch break, so lunch was served from a bag.

IMG_2277

Left over roasted broccoli and carrots from last night

IMG_2284

And an easy tuna fish salad I made with a can of tuna, plain yogurt, dill, honey mustard, tomato, and blue cheese.

IMG_2282

With a side of crackers for consumption.

IMG_2280

Crunch, Crunch

IMG_2290

My last Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie for dessert.

IMG_2292

I donโ€™t know what it is, but there is something about packing a lunch for work that always makes me believe a dessert should be included too. I think I can trace it back to my school days when my bagged lunches always contained a drink, sandwich, chips, and a Little Debbie for dessert. I guess a dessert is just a lunch box staple to me?

What would you consider a lunch box staple? Do you feel the need to pack a dessert too?

1 Duchessoffork July 20, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I like to add something sweet to my lunch box, too, whether it be fruit, yogurt or a fruit chew. I’m a teacher, so I pack my lunch everyday of the school year and I love doing it! I look forward to packing my lunch. ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Exercise and Eat July 20, 2010 at 1:37 pm

PB&J, or any version of it, is definetly a lunch box staple for me! And an apple:)

3 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Lots of stuff … I probably always have the biggest lunch box around hehe

But my staple is a big bag of fresh veggies to munch on all during the day … I transfer it lunch box to lunch box and sometimes it last me a couple of days hehe

4 britchickruns July 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Hmm..Sandwiches are always good in lunch boxes, albeit somewhat dull ๐Ÿ™ but a sweet thing like a muffin at the end is always a win ๐Ÿ˜€

5 Tina July 20, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I think my lunchbox staple was some raw veggies and of course a piece of dark chocolate. I haven’t needed a lunchbox in awhile since my work is at home, but I know those always go with me when I’m on the road.

The “apple crumble” looks goooood.

6 P2B July 20, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I always pack my husband a sweet item for lunch, but rarely have a sweet myself. If I want something sweet, I usually have it for an afternoon snack like a piece of fruit or a square of dark chocolate.

7 Amanda July 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I always feel the need for dessert. I try to stick to fruit for my lunch dessert though… except yesterday when I had a chocolate cheesecake brownie ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Laura July 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Hey Meghann– I was wondering where you get your cinnamon pita chips? I’ve been looking everywhere for some ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks!!

9 Meghann July 20, 2010 at 2:55 pm

They’re Stacys brand. I found them at Publix ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Laura July 20, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Ooooh! I’m def going to go there and hunt them down! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Jenna July 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Sandwiches and apples! I have a sweet tooth so I definitely need something small after my lunch. I usually pack a mini candy bar. ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen July 20, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I have the same kind of habit from when I was little – I always feel like a lunch needs to have a “main” (sandwich, cheese + crackers, etc), a fruit, a veggie and a sweet snack. I tend to eat a larger lunch when I pack one from work just because I need so many parts to it! I definitely enjoy eating lunch at home more.

13 sweetersalt July 20, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I usually need a sweet afternoon snack. If I haven’t had a little something by 3:00 I get a little cranky!

14 averymeggirl July 20, 2010 at 1:59 pm

My lunch box staple would be a fruit or vegtable.. Like an apples or carrots or something.. growing up I always had a sandwhich, a vegtable or fruit and a bag of ships or something..

15 40apples July 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Lunchbox staple: an apple (no surprise – see: title of my blog http://40apples.wordpress.com/ ๐Ÿ™‚ ) and YES, dessert. I’ve managed to convince myself that the more delicious flavors of Larabars can serve the “dessert” function – also some healthy protein – but I definitely, definitely need something sweet after the main course. It’s unavoidable! So I either pack a healthy-ish dessert, or go crazy at my desk until I go out and buy something regrettable.

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Tuna or sardines. I pack them pretty often. Fruit is a must.

17 Jamie in Arkansas July 20, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Lunchbox staple = almond butter.
Mmmmmm.

I use Stacy’s pita chip crumbs (the plain ones) to top my salads.
Gives it that awesome crunch!
Love the idea of the cinnamon ones. Problem is, can’t keep them in the house or I eat the entire bag in one sitting! ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Sarah July 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I always pack two dark chocolate hershey kisses for a sweet treat for dessert! I usually always have a flavored seltzer water too.

19 newleafeats July 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm

When my mom packed my lunch it elementary school, it typically included a peanut butter (Peter Pan) and jelly (grape) sandwich (on white bread), a pudding or fruit cup, and a thermos of sweet tea. On less-lucky days it would be bologna and American cheese (UGGGHHH!!).

But still for some reason I feel that a dessert of either fruit or chocolate and a can of soda goes well with lunch. I think it was a result of pretty much any time someone ELSE was providing a packed lunch.

I don’t make a habit of keeping sodas around, but I just happen to have a 24 pack of canned Dublins (Dr Pepper made with real cane sugar) I bought over the weekend while I was out of town (we can’t get it in my part of the state).

Today I had a peanut butter (Naturally More) and jelly (Crofters Superfruit) sandwich (on sprouted grain bread), with a bag of baked lays (don’t typically have that around), raw carrots, and a Dublin Dr Pepper (wanted La Croix today, but haven’t been to the store, and the Dr Pepper was calling to me…).

20 Amanda July 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm

My childhood lunch was very similar to yours – drink, sandwich, pretzels except when I was on a doritos kick, homemade dessert and fruit! These days my staple lunch is typically roasted sweet potatoes with apricots. I roast them at home and heat them up in the microwave at work. Unlike other reheated foods, the sweet potatoes smell delicious!

21 pursuitofhealthfulness July 20, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Roasted sweet potatoes with apricots? That sounds amazing! Do you mix them together?

22 Amanda July 21, 2010 at 9:12 am

I roast the sweet potatoes (400 for 20-25 minutes), then put into the gladware/tupperware/whatever it’s called and add the dried apricots. The moisture from the sweet potatoes help soften the apricots when I reheat my lunch the next day.

23 gavrielski July 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Vegetables and protein are my lunchtime staples! I pack my lunch every day and always make a big salad with lots of veggies, a protein (usually tofu or fat free cheese), and a small piece of fruit on the side. I usually finish off with a Jell-O cup–I just love those things!

24 Kelly July 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I always need to pack a snack to eat after my main lunch course is finished. It just feels like something is missing if I don’t.

25 thegreatpbjbattle July 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I don’t typically associate dessert with meal times. I like my sweet treats either as a mid afternoon or late night snack.

Today my lunch has a banana, a peach, some leftover steamed green beans and brussel spouts, 6 crackers and a laughing cow cheese.

And someone brought in a birthday cake…

26 Kim July 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I always need to have an orange or banana. The perfect amount of sweet to end a meal!

27 pursuitofhealthfulness July 20, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I love having my lunch packed the night before. That way, I have something to look forward to and I don’t spend my whole night thinking about what I should eat.

For a long time, I considered lunch desserts to be totally, taboo. Now, though I keep a spare square of dark chocolate in my bag just in case I REALLY need it.

28 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) July 20, 2010 at 3:12 pm

LOL, my mom always packed a PB&J *or* ham and cheese sandwich; a snack bag of chips; and a Little Debbie snack (usually swiss rolls, I looooove swiss rolls!) With a thermos of unsweet tea. These days I usually eat at home but sometimes have to eat dinner at my desk … I usually fill up a tupperware with lettuce and raw veggies, then chop up some chicken and slide it on top.

29 Rosey Rebecca July 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I ALWAYS add a dessert to my packed lunches! It not only adds to my lunch, but makes me feel better about the work day!

30 Catherine July 20, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I agree with you about dessert ๐Ÿ™‚ I always had a little snacky dessert in my lunches growing up. I’m not a huge sandwich person so usually my lunch was leftovers from dinner a drink, chips or crackers, fruit or veg of some kind and a dessert. Now, I’m thinking about my mom’s homemade chicken strips. ๐Ÿ™‚

31 DiningAndDishing July 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I have this idea that lunch needs to contain 1 carb dish, 1 fruit or veg dish and 1 dairy dish. For instance…a sandwich, apple and yogurt. And yes, I think that comes back from when I used to take a school lunch too!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

32 Heather July 20, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Yes, I have to have something sweet when I pack my lunch. My go to lately has been fruit, so I would say that is my staple. Usually apples are my favorite because they are so easy to pack!

And thanks for the great snack idea, I actually have the last of a bag of pita chips that I was thinking I need to get rid of. Problem solved now!

33 missyrayn July 20, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Lunch box staple has to be some sort of fruit. I love it! And your applesauce trick looks amazing!

34 Courtney July 20, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Yummy! Oooo it would be so good heated in the microwave, too! =D

My mom would always pack me peanut butter sandwiches, apple juice, and gouda cheese. Random, but I loved it when I was little! =D

35 shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm

As kids we always had a sandwich and 2 pieces of fruit. Now I go for the sandwich or salad and a piece of fruit but I also add some yogurt. Not very exciting.

36 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

haha I am the opposite – I never include a dessert with lunch! But after dinner, well that is another story ๐Ÿ™‚

37 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Apples are pretty much always in my lunches. I cut one up and then it’s there for it I get hungry before I can actually get to the meal. I guess water, too, but I feel everyone probably has that. And I don’t usually pack a dessert because it is very likely that dessert will be consumed at some point in the day. There is no need for me to a pack one, lol.

38 katie July 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I always need something with crunch as well as something sweet to end the meal. If I don’t pack it, I end up buying it, so I try to bring the crunch and the sweet from home!

39 Melissa @ Tryingtoheal July 20, 2010 at 7:19 pm

i have a dessert after every meal, no questions asked. maybe not breakfast…ok, on the weekends yes. haha!

40 breakingsilence July 20, 2010 at 7:30 pm

My “lunch box staple” would have to be some sort of fruit. No matter what I’m eating for lunch, I feel wierd if it doesn’t include fruit in some form.

41 Sarah (Enjoying One Meal at a Time) July 20, 2010 at 7:45 pm

That snack looks good, plus I need to use up some applesauce!

42 Faith July 20, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Mmm, yummy! I used to do that with Cinnamon Toast Crunch!

I always had a dessert of some kind in middle school too. I like to end my lunches now with some piece of fruit, but for me, dinners have to have something sweet like chocolate or a handful of cereal clusters.

43 christina cadden July 20, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I love pita chips! That sounds good with apple sauce!

44 Lindsay July 20, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I pack my lunch for work everyday as I do not want to waste my hard earned money on junk food. I usually pack a protein filled sandwich, steamed veggies, yogurt or annie’s fruit snacks!!

45 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale July 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I ALWAYS need something sweet at the end… Usually half a larabar and a square of dark chocolate do the trick!

46 Katie G. July 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm

haha, i had to laugh when i read this post. i pack my lunch for work every day and am always searching for something sweet to add to “complete” the package. i think it may have come from kids lunchable meals that include a dessert, lol. it just feels right.
not sure about the pita chips and apple sauce…are they plain pita chips? or cinnamon…cinnamon may work…but i think i’ll give it a try any way and let you know the verdict!

47 Brynne July 24, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Carrots are a part of every lunch I have, I think since basically kindergarten. I just love carrots.

48 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm

French fries and honey mustard sauce!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Return of the Hoola Hoop