more ยป" />

Looking Back

by Meghann on July 20, 2010

Did you know exactly one year ago today I was dining on homemade frittata for dinner? Sometimes having an almost 2 year old blog is so cool. Especially for random facts like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hopefully a year from today I can look back at this entry and go ‘Did you know a year ago today I had Shrimp & Grains for dinner?’

And I can remember that these were not your general run of the mill shrimp. These shrimp were sauteed with some old bay seasoning, radishes, and red onion. The radishes and red onion not only gave the shrimp some purple flair, but also a nice sweet crunch.

The grains were actually the last of a bag of Trader Joe’s Harvest Grain mix that has been in my cupboard for a while now. I love the array of textures and colors in this mix. It’s a great addition to any meal; I just had to find the patients to give it enough time to cook. Waiting for grains to cook has never been my forte.

I can also remind myself how I semi-burnt this mini bag of popcorn in the office microwave this afternoon.

And how my co-worker made fun of me as I took a photo of the popcorn while we discussed the play by play of my triathlon on Sunday. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Last, but not least I’ll remember the Skinny Cow Ice Cream that I am really enjoying the taste of at the moment, but not the price.

$4.49 for a box of 4? No thank you.

One more thing…

I hope my future self – who is looking back at this post – has figured out where all my hangers are mysteriously disappearing to.

After scrounging up every hanger in my apartment I still had a decent pile of clothes on my coffee table in need of hangers.

Hangers? Where are you going?

It’s like the case of the missing sock all over again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I guess I could get rid of some old stuff to free up space. *sniff *sniff It’s like trying to decide which friend to say bye to. Not cool.

1 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) July 20, 2010 at 8:41 pm

We frequently lack hangers when they are needed. I’m pretty sure the closet eats them.

Or, ya know, we have too many things hanging up.

2 sunnytropic July 20, 2010 at 8:47 pm

That grain mix looks yummy! I also like Skinny Cow, but agree the price can be ridiculous. I live in Manhattan and a 6-pack of the flying saucers is 7.69. I simply refuse to pay that much so I only pick them up when on sale, which isn’t often!

3 Lacey @ Lake Life July 20, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I always seem to not have enough hangers as well. I’m usually successful at finding them on the closet floor, on other clothes they got stuck to, under the bed, on hooks behind doors and in my coat closet. Good luck!

4 Marilou July 20, 2010 at 8:52 pm

… or because you buy new clothes but never new hangers? hehehe:)

5 Stephanie July 20, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I always used to have the same problem with hangers walking off and never having enough. I discovered my problem was that all hangers were present and accounted for, the volume of clothes though had increased…

6 Kristen July 20, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Yum…those shrimp look so good and I love your star plate to complete the look!

I have plenty of hangers, I just don’t like to hang my clothes up until I get sick of looking at piles of clothing all over the house…glad I’m not the only one who does that, LOL!

7 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 20, 2010 at 9:20 pm

ooooh LOVE that dinner! Looks super tasty!

8 christina cadden July 20, 2010 at 9:23 pm

That is cool to be able to look back! Congrats!

9 megan July 20, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Rule of thumb.. If you haven’t worn it since you ate that frittata get rid of it ๐Ÿ˜‰

10 Heather July 20, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I am doing the big closet purge this weekend. Honestly, I couldn’t be more excited for it. Hopefully it will free up some hangers for me – and get some crap off the floor!

That shrimp looks delicious! Too bad about the burned popcorn – the smell is horrible.

11 Emilyeatsclean July 20, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I bought more hangers YESTERDAY!! They do disapear!! Oh and I don’t even like shrimp but your dinner looks delic! ๐Ÿ˜€

12 BroccoliHut July 20, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I love periodically going back and looking at old posts too–I love how my blog documents my life!

13 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 20, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Ha, I liked this post. Hopefully my blog will be up and running a year from now so I can do the same and look back at what I ate, lol. I had to laugh at your burnign the popcorn. I ALWAYS do that. It’s pretty much a running joke in my family that when I make popcorn I always have to make two bags because the first is always ruined!

14 Danielle July 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I think your hangers came to visit me! I cleaned out my closet the other day and have a ton left over! ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Melissa July 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm

that looks super gourmet! skinny cow is definitely a worthy indulgence!

16 Tina July 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I’ve only had my blog for 6 months but I can already tell how cool it is to be able to go back and see things from the past.

And Skinny Cow could easily contribute to breaking my bank on groceries. Why are those little things so dang $$$?

17 Dynamics July 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm

LOL, you make me laugh. Gotta stop shopping….

Hint: turn your hangers backwards. When you wash your clothes hang them back up the correct way. After a period of time (you decide) get rid of all the clothes that are still backwards. It you have not worn them in the period of time you decide, time for them to be donated. You will not miss them.

18 Sana July 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Is that dark blue top with flowers from New York and Company? I think I have it!!!

19 Quirky Jessi July 20, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Hehe, yeah, pretty sure that means you’ve been buying more stuff than your hangers can handle…and not ‘really’ that the hangers are disappearing.

Although I have a closet monster, too. I never have enough hangers!

20 Rebekah W. July 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I burn microwave popcorn 100% of the time that I make it at the office. It is my claim to fame.

21 Jessica @ How Sweet July 20, 2010 at 10:57 pm

My hangers always go missing! Always! They are like socks – always lose them, but they disappear into a hole of nothingness.

22 emilydianne July 20, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I’ve been addicted to shrimp lately – they are undeniably my favorite source of summer protein. With grains, they look delicious! And it’s good to see someone else eating Skinny Cow ice cream – I know they are so expensive, but the caramel cones are my FAVORITE! I feel like bloggers aren’t a fan generally of pre-made desserts, but I can’t help having some sort of WW pop or skinny cow sandwich in my freezer ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Jocelyn July 20, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Those skinny cows go for almost 7 dollars here in Cannnada!

24 Ashley July 21, 2010 at 7:54 am

I was going to say the same thing! $4– seems like a good deal to me! haha but that’s because I’m used to paying $7.49 a box!

25 Dione July 20, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I’m always short on my hangers! Although, I generally end up stealing my husbands so it works out! ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Sarah July 20, 2010 at 11:43 pm

That’s a really beautiful dinner! I love the subtle pick and purple. So pretty!

27 marie would July 21, 2010 at 12:33 am

what does cooked radish taste like? does it mellow out or intensify or what? i am intrigued….

28 Emily @ Relishments July 21, 2010 at 6:08 am

Did you add anything to the Harvest Grains? The first time I made them, I found them really disappointing. The second time I made them I cooked them in vegetable broth and the grains were much better. I’d love to hear what you did!

29 Sarah July 21, 2010 at 8:32 am

i always run out of hangers too! and then regulate my husband’s clothes to the dresser so i can have more hangers, haha. do all his sweatshirts need to be hung up? i think not, esp. in summer. ๐Ÿ™‚ anyway if you need more hangers try checking craigslist. i always see people trying to give them away for free when they’re moving… just a thought!

30 sweetersalt July 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

I love me some radishes, but I’ve never cooked them before. Perhaps I’ll give it a go!

31 Courtney July 21, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Hmmmm maybe you have more clothes and not fewer hangers? That seems to be my problem! My dad has a rule that every time you bring something in, you take something out. I do not practice that. Better said than done! ๐Ÿ™‚