Advanced Training Mode

by Meghann on July 20, 2010

Good Morning! 🙂

My morning began with a beautiful 6 mile run.

I’ve been playing with the training features with my Garmin Forerunner 305 lately and this morning I tested the ‘advanced training’ mode. This mode let’s you design a training run and set a pace for each interval. I set it for a 6 mile run at a ‘fast jog’ (between 8:00 and 10:00 min/mile) pace.

Pros: You could set a pace. It told me when to speed up and when to slow down. And at the end it automatically ended the work out when I hit 6 miles.

Cons: The options for pace were too varied. i.e. the ‘fast jog’ was between 8:00 and 10:00 min/mile while the next step up was the ‘slow run’ between 7:00 and 9:00 min/mile – I needed something for between a 8:30 and 9:30 min/mile. And since the run was considered one 6 mile lap, I couldn’t break out my per mile stats. :/

I’m not sure how big of a fan I was of this work out on the garmin simply because I couldn’t break out my mile splits. Maybe if programmed each mile separately it would work? I guess I just need to keep playing with it. 🙂

At the grocery store this weekend I realized it had been too long since I had a cantaloupe bowl for breakfast.

IMG_2263

This was one half of a glorious cantaloupe stuffed with granola, plain yogurt, rolled dates, and some Naturally Nutty Vanilla Almond Butter.

IMG_2266

Eaten straight from the cantaloupe with a spoon, it was quite a delicious and thirst quenching breakfast. 🙂

IMG_2253

Time to work!

1 carly July 20, 2010 at 9:12 am

Does that mean that Garmin considers a 7:00 mile as a “slow run”??? I guess my runs would be considered “mere crawls”! LOL 😀

2 Meghann July 20, 2010 at 9:19 am

that was another pet peeve about that. Since when is a 7:00 min/mile a slow run?!?! In my book that’s a sprint! lol

3 Sarah for Real July 20, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hahaha… you’re funny!

4 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 20, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Mine might be considered going backwards!!

5 Jess July 20, 2010 at 9:30 am

you can also program your own tempo, user based. i think it’s at the bottom of the list of tempo’s. also I program it like for example 6*1K instead of 6K

6 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 20, 2010 at 9:36 am

Oh, I love the cantaloup bowl idea! Never crossed my mind … hehe!

7 gavrielski July 20, 2010 at 9:40 am

I’ve also been playing around with my Garmin, but I can’t even figure out how to split up each mile into a separate lap. Any tips? I just bought a cantaloupe yesterday and found myself digging into one of the halves with a spoon last night. Delicious!

8 Jenny July 20, 2010 at 9:53 am

Yum!! Wonder what taste the rolled dates gave to the melon?

9 Katie July 20, 2010 at 10:04 am

I haven’t had the chance to try it on my Garmin yet, but with a little initial set-up time could you create your own Advance Workout and set each mile as a different “step” in the workout and then set your pace as the goal? [I was looking at page 19/20 of my User Manual :)]

10 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife July 20, 2010 at 10:21 am

my iPhone runkeeper app works the same way. I break it up into miles so that it’ll record the splits.

11 Angela July 20, 2010 at 10:29 am

Your so dedicated! Nice work!

Love the breakfast – would have never thought of stuffing cantaloupe, but this looks awesome.

12 Alexis @ Mission: Ambition July 20, 2010 at 10:30 am

I love cantaloupe bowls for breakfast – so yummy! That one looks especially delicious 🙂

13 Melissa July 20, 2010 at 10:33 am

i know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow!

14 Krystina July 20, 2010 at 10:35 am

I really want to try that melon trick. I bet overnight oats would taste fab.

15 Katie B. July 20, 2010 at 10:38 am

You can break it down by mile…that’s how I do my speedwork. 1 mile at a certain speed zone, .5 mile easy and repeat it for however long my run is. I also believe that you can program what time frame you want for each speed zone. If you have your manual it should tell you exactly how to do it 🙂 My only complaint is that because it’s just staying in a certain “zone”, I don’t know my exact pace for each mile until I download the info to my computer. So I always hope I’m going fast enough!

16 Katie B. July 20, 2010 at 10:39 am

Oh..and you can set up the workout on your computer and download to the Garmin…it’s easier that way!

17 Leanne July 20, 2010 at 10:41 am

I’ve never tried a cantaloupe bowl before but it looks oh so tasty.

18 averymeggirl July 20, 2010 at 10:46 am

There are so many options in the Garmin I have never used.. I really have to sit down and read the book and figure it out..

I haven’t had cantaloupe in so long.. I think I will go get one today hehe..

19 Amy July 20, 2010 at 10:59 am

You can change the ranges on he “slow jog”, “fast jog” etc. When I have used that feature I have adjusted it to my pace and used a much smaller range to keep me closer to the actual pace I want to run.

20 Erica July 20, 2010 at 11:23 am

This is fantastic! Sounds like I need to get my manual back out and play with my Garmin! I know there are a ton of features that I’m not using, but I’ve never taken the time to get beyond my mile splits. My sis in law wad telling me also that if you have a certain course you run often, that you can race yourself and it puts a little man on the screen and tells you if you are in front of or behind your previous time. Wow, love the technology…just have to figure it out! Ha!

21 Vitamin Amy July 20, 2010 at 11:37 am

Oh my goodness! Your cantaloupe bowl looks amazingly delicious! I can’t wait to try it. Enjoy your Tuesday 🙂

22 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 20, 2010 at 11:43 am

That cantaloupe breakfast looks so fun!!

23 Rosey Rebecca July 20, 2010 at 12:08 pm

You have the best ideas ever. It’s kind of like oats in a jar.. but yogurt in a cantaloupe instead. 🙂 Brilliant!

24 Kelly July 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

yeah one of these days I really need to just sit down and figure out how everything on the garmin works. I basically just hit start and stop, haha.

25 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I must try that melon bowl idea for breakfast but I always imagined it would be tricky to eat. Is the melon easy to scrape with a spoon and does the ‘filling’ spill out?

26 Meghann July 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm

It’s super easy to eat with a spoon! The cantaloupe doesn’t fight being scraped at all and the filling stays perfectly in place. 🙂

27 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama July 20, 2010 at 1:53 pm

melon bowls are amazing!

28 Ed July 20, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Cantaloupe bowl…great idea! I’m definitely going to try that in my upcoming breakfast adventures!

29 Camille July 20, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I’ve been wanting to try out a training Garmin but haven’t had the money yet.. it looks like it’s pretty easy to use though, and the benefits are great. Seems like they can do everything but actually run for you, haha!
-Camille

30 runningwithsass July 20, 2010 at 4:36 pm

can you not just hit the lap button at every mile?

31 sarah July 20, 2010 at 5:57 pm

you can re-program the paces for each setting (i.e., slow run, fast jog, etc.) so that the time is more specific. for example, i wanted to run an 8:30 pace, so i set the top pace on a fast job to 8:00 and the bottom pace to 8:35. hope that helps!

32 Emilyeatsclean July 20, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I love that breakfast “bowl” idea!!

33 Caroline July 22, 2010 at 7:26 am

I’m pretty sure that on the Garmin computer program you can change the speed settings, but I don’t remember for sure.

34 shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 22, 2010 at 6:22 pm

What a great idea with the cantalope!