And another week begins…

by Meghann on July 19, 2010

I think the back-to-back 13 mile run and olympic distance triathlon from this weekend finally caught up with me this morning. I woke up sore, tight, and begging for five more minutes of sleep.

I actually can’t remember the last time I was this sore after a race, maybe the day after Disney? At least I know if I’m sore then I gave it all I had on Sunday, right? 😉

My goal after the triathlon was to rest, rest, rest, but in typical Meghann fashion that did not happen. I came home and immediately took a 30 minute power nap (I had to set an alarm or there was no way I was going to get up) before blogging, showering (yes, I napped and then showered – priorities people!), and meeting my new friend Julie at the dog park.

Maybe I should have brushed my hair after that shower? 😉

The last time I saw Julie we were getting massages together thanks to the Chevy Girls on the Go program I participated in a couple of months ago. We’ve been tweeting back and forth ever since with big plans of meeting at the dog park with our pups. I’m so glad we were finally able to make it work out yesterday. Julie is such a sweetheart and it was great meeting her adorable fiancé, Ryan, and their fur-baby Sadie.

IMG_9769

By the way, did you know our favorite Orlando dog park is in the running to win a $500,000 make over?!?!

If you have a minute please head over to www.benefuldreamdogpark.com and vote for Carla Lubet & Sprout/Winter Park, FL. If they win, Fleet Peeples Dog Park will get a paved path for wheel chairs, an agility course, an area for small dogs (like Maddie), and so much more!

I love Fleet Peeples Dog Park and thanks to the dedication of volunteers and their fund raising efforts the park is one of the best ones out there, but I know with this make over the park can become a doggie paradise for both the dogs and their owners.

IMG_9767

On my way to the dog park I had an assortment of berries and cherries in the car.

IMG_9764

Derek won boyfriend of the year award when he texted me on the way home to see if there was anything he could do to start dinner. God bless him. Without Derek’s help I’m not sure dinner would have been served in a timely manner at all. I had big plans of lasagna and no time to cook it. Derek saved the day by browning the sausage, combining the cheese mix, and slicing the zucchini. Derek did all the prep work, all I did was assemble. 🙂

IMG_2156

Instead of a traditional lasagna we made my Zucchini and Yellow Squash Lasagna with yellow squash and zucchini as a base instead of noodles. Derek was skeptical at first with the ‘no noodle’ approach, but in the end he loved it and even took all the left overs home for lunch tomorrow.

IMG_2159

To go with the lasagna I made a simple spinach salad with spinach, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, almonds, rutabaga and craisins.

IMG_2164

Maddie joined us for dinner.

IMG_2167

My plate with a little of this and a little of that.

IMG_2179

I didn’t let the lasagna sit long enough, so it fell apart when I served it. Oh well, we were both hungry and waiting any longer wasn’t an option. (according to Derek) 😉

IMG_2169

There was also a drizzle of raspberry poppyseed dressing on my salad.

The lasagna really did rock. It was the perfect triathlon recovery meal if you as me. 😉

For dessert I tried one of the Skinny Cow Cones I bought on a whim on Friday.

IMG_2184

My favorite bard was the chunk of chocolate at the end of the cone. So good! it reminded me of the Drumstick cones I used to eat as a kid. Only thing missing was the nuts!

IMG_2188

My bed was calling my name at 9:00 last night. It felt good to go to bed early and have a chance to sleep in. Love it!

Breakfast this morning was a bowl of classic cereal.

IMG_2190

• 1/2 cup Kashi Puffs
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Flakes
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Warm Cinnamon H2H
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Peanut Powder
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries

IMG_2197

And now it’s ti
me for another week to begin…

Have a great Monday everyone!!!

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 19, 2010 at 9:05 am

That lasagna looks interesting. I wouldn’t think to use veggies instead of noodles. Sounds good!

2 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 19, 2010 at 9:09 am

Talk about a dog park!

I live right across the street of my neighboorhood dog park …. which is a field of grass with a fence all around. Period.

Can WE win that make-over .. bwahahah 🙂

I love doing the zucchini-lasagne thing as well!

3 Emilyeatsclean July 19, 2010 at 9:43 am

Ohh I like the lasagne idea with veggies!!

4 Exercise and Eat July 19, 2010 at 9:46 am

Yay for men who help in the kitchen!

5 Mal July 19, 2010 at 10:00 am

happy monday! & that lasagna looks great; i love all things lasagna-like.

6 pursuitofhealthfulness July 19, 2010 at 10:03 am

I read about your visit to the dog park on Julie’s blog already. Looks like a good time!

Lucky you to have Derek around to help! I really like the lasagna with veggies idea… I’m going to come up with a way to vegetarianize it!

7 Meghann July 19, 2010 at 10:06 am

You can just leave out the meat and add extra veggies. 🙂

8 christina cadden July 19, 2010 at 10:18 am

looks like you had a a blast!

9 Jocelyn July 19, 2010 at 10:29 am

mmm I am totally gonna pick up those skinny cow cones this week! Have a happy Monday! 🙂

10 shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 19, 2010 at 10:58 am

Those skinny cow cones are great! I love the pan of lasagna…we always make huge pans that seem to go on forever… I will have to try a smaller pan for the 2 of us. Why don’t I ever think of these things ? 🙂

11 missyrayn July 19, 2010 at 10:58 am

Sometimes sleep is just a priority over shower. I know that feeling and it is completely understandable.

Glad you had fun with your new friend and your great man made you dinner 🙂

12 Run Sarah July 19, 2010 at 11:24 am

When I am exhausted sleep wins over showering as well! I love the idea of a noodle-less lasagna. Yours looks great!

13 Kelly July 19, 2010 at 11:34 am

Yum, I love lasagna, I have some zucchini and squash sitting in my fridge right now. I may have to try this!

14 Melissa July 19, 2010 at 11:39 am

hmmm lasagna!

15 averymeggirl July 19, 2010 at 11:49 am

Derek is such a good BF! I should get my bf to start reading the blog so he can pick up some tips.. haha jkjk

I haven’t had lasagna in forever.

16 mary ann July 19, 2010 at 12:00 pm

After such a strenuous workout weekend, do you find that its difficult to eat enough to refuel your glycogen stores/muscle repair? Im not an athlete, but ive taken many nutrition science classes that say its often challenging to meet the necessary extra nutrient/calorie requirements post intense exercise because a lot of people dont have the appetite there body needs. how do you deal with this? I know its SO critical to up the intake in order to meet the metabolic needs (otherwise metab can even slow-making people gain body fat ironically while losing muscle espesh during these critical periods). This always intrgues me and someday i hope to tackle some of the athletic opportunities you participate in, but nutrition is always my number one priority so im just curious
love you and your his/her place settings!!! Give maddie a squeeze for me!
MA

17 Meghann July 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Hi Mary Ann –

You’re right, it’s a fine balance of refueling enough while still minding your appetite. I’ve found I’m not as ravenous the day of the race, but am generally starving the day after. That’s when I tend to load up and meet the proper fuel needed. It’s not always in according to time, but that’s what i’ve found works best for my body. 🙂

18 Kelly July 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

That lasagna looks delicious! Congrats on the tri 🙂

19 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 19, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Looks like a nice relaxing day after all the exercise you’ve been doing!

20 Samantha July 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm

AWWWW Maddie looks so cute at the table!

21 Tina July 19, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I sincerely think your comments/views will go back up if you work on proof-reading and spell checking your blog posts before publishing. It will create a more pleasant experience for the reader, for sure!

{ 2 trackbacks }