Life is Good

by Meghann on July 17, 2010

Happy Saturday everyone!

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and I’m blogging from the comfort of my own couch with my man and puppy by my side – life is good. πŸ™‚

My Saturday started off with my long training run of the week; 13.1 miles in a little over 2 hours. Boo yah!

I know running a half marathon isn’t the best idea the day before my first olympic distance triathlon, but it was the only way I could work it into my training plan. My goal tomorrow is to just have fun, so I’m ok with such a long distance the day before the race. I haven’t trained properly to go all out for the tri, so fun is just what I need!

Before my run I had one of last night’s cookie with a smear of peanut butter because obviously cookies make the best pre-run fuel, right? πŸ˜‰

IMG_1981.JPG

I left extra early this morning to avoid the extreme heat and sun I experienced last weekend in Miami. The first few miles felt great, I kept a decent sub- 9:00 minute pace and was pleasantly surprised at the lovely early morning shade covering the sidewalk.

Then around mile 3 I hit the the trailhead and began to experience some ‘hills.’ I say ‘hills’ because most people would laugh at what us Floridians consider hills. Our ‘hills’ are slight gradual inclines that probably would not seem like much to the normal person, but are a mental and physical challenge to someone like me. I did what I could, but lost my speed.

I know, I know – I need to do some hill speed work at some point in training.

Every run has it’s own set of challenges and those slight inclines were mine today.

I hit the half way point at mile 6.5 and was happy to turn around. For some reason going back always seems faster than getting there. πŸ™‚

Even though I wasn’t hungry at all I broke into a packet of Gu Chomps right after that halfway point. My stomach was full, but I could feel my energy draining and needing a boost. The chomps were just what I needed. I had to force them down, but once I did, that energy boost I was looking for came instantly.

When in doubt – fuel!

The last half went smoothly. I got my speed back and made sure to finish strong. πŸ™‚

Stats:

• Mile 11: 09:23
  • Mile 12: 09:24
  • Mile 13: 09:02
  • .1 nubbin 00:49.79
  • Total: 02:01:09
  • Avg Pace: 09:15

The many faces of a sweaty post 13 miles runner.

IMG_9704.JPG IMG_9705.JPG

IMG_9706.JPG IMG_9707.JPG

By the way, my new Brooks rock! πŸ™‚

IMG_9710.jpg

No cramps, no pain, and no blisters. So far, so good!

After the run I got to work in the kitchen making a post-run SIAB (Smoothie in a Bowl)

IMG_1982.JPG

In the Blender:

• Frozen Pineapple
  • Frozen Strawberries
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Almond Milk
  • Amazing Grass
  • Honey
  • Xantham Gum
  • PB2

Topping:

• Kashi Mountain Medley Granola

IMG_1992.JPG

A SIAB is the perfect post-run fuel. It’s light and refreshing to eat after a hot, sweaty run and had all the good things my body craves like healthy fats, protein, and carbs. πŸ™‚

IMG_1994.JPG

Derek and I have a few errands to run today. I’m hoping to finally get a new phone (whoo hoo!) and complete a few honey doos around the apartment (did I mention the light bulb in my closet has been out since February?)

God it feels good to be home! πŸ™‚

1 Exercise and Eat July 17, 2010 at 11:20 am

LOL, I need to fix some stuff in my apt too- like my fire alarm… it was beeping, so I pulled it out! (totally safe- I can hear one right outside my window!)

2 Krystina July 17, 2010 at 11:22 am

Congrats on the run! Your SIAB looks delish.

3 shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 17, 2010 at 11:25 am

A smoothie is a bowl with granola sounds awesome!

4 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 17, 2010 at 11:31 am

I can’t imagine doing a half marathon just like this … especially the day before a tri.

Girl – you ARE hardcore πŸ™‚

Enjoy your relaxing day with your pups (yes , that includes Derek) πŸ˜‰

5 britchickruns July 17, 2010 at 11:32 am

Good job on the run – it sounds brilliant! I can’t believe the tri is tomorrow..you are a crazy lady!
Have a good day πŸ™‚

6 Red July 17, 2010 at 11:54 am

Hahaha! So true about the “hills”! I live in a section of So Cal where the only “hills” are the underpasses that go under the roads and freeways! πŸ™‚ Awesome run by the way! Good Job!

7 missyrayn July 17, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I love that you are looking at the Tri as fun instead of just giving up on it. Such a great attitude.

8 Marina July 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I hope you enjoy your day! πŸ™‚
Smoothie in a bowl is always a good post-run fuel, specially with some amazing granola πŸ™‚

9 Erin July 17, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Wow, I don’t know how you run in this heat but I guess you get used to it! I just walked to the grocery store and came back almost dying — can’t imagine running a half! πŸ˜‰

10 Allison July 17, 2010 at 12:58 pm

1. GU Chomps are my favorite, too!

2. For hills in Florida, head to Clermont. Or, come to the gulf coast and run hill repeats in our causeways. I live next to the Ringling Bridge in Sarasota and I do “causeway repeats” all the time!

3. I feel you on the “shorter on the way back” thing. I usually run with a group but had to do 10 by myself last weekend due to travel. I was bored and miserable until the turnaround a mile 5 and then the second half absolutely breezed by. I wanted to keep going!

11 Evan Thomas July 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Great run, Meghann!

12 Bobbi July 17, 2010 at 2:39 pm

awesome run Meg! I am glad you sold your Mac to a friend. Hub says I would probably do better with my PC..HA HA! What kind of phone are you going to get????

13 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 17, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Wow, you’re hardcore – half marathon run followed by a tri the next day! I can only imagine….!

14 Emilyeatsclean July 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Please come run in Tennessee. Our “hills” are more like mountains! πŸ™‚ Your SIAB looks delicious!

15 Kelly July 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Awesome and now a tri tomorrow…wowzers girl! YOU ROCK!

16 BroccoliHut July 17, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Ooh! I’ve been looking for a smoothie recipe using xanthan gum–can’t wait to try this!

17 Pure2raw twins July 18, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Love your smoothie in a bowl ; ) Sounds great and looks amazing!!