I Caved

by Meghann on July 16, 2010

Yep, I caved and went to the grocery store this afternoon.

I couldn’t take it any longer. My fridge was starting to look very sad.

IMG_1911.jpg

awww… much better. πŸ™‚

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1920.jpg

Truth is, I was bored and grocery shopping is one of my favorite activities in the world. Why wait one more day when i could have all the fun tonight?

IMG_1924.JPG

A full fridge makes me happy. πŸ™‚

For a week that flew by, this afternoon seemed to move at snails pace. I was starting to believe the clock was never going to hit 5:00! Why are Friday afternoons so slow?

I had some Fritos and Salsa to help pass the time around 3:00.

IMG_1908.JPG

I returned from the grocery store after work full of ideas for dinner. Coconut Shrimp? Buffalo Tempeh? Salad? Lasagna? I now had the ingredients to make it all! πŸ™‚

In the end I decided on grilled italian chicken sausages with rutabaga fries.

IMG_1945.JPG

The italian sausage was served on a piece of pumpernickel toast with spinach, saurkraut, ketchup and spicy mustard.

IMG_1939.JPG

The pumpernickel was a nice addition to the sausage and saurkraut. The combination was very reuben-esque. πŸ™‚

Rutabaga fries. Nom nom nom

IMG_1942.JPG

Pickle πŸ™‚

IMG_1933.JPG

It was a dinner Derek was happy to enjoy as well. I think he appreciated the fully stocked fridge when he walked in the the door. πŸ™‚

After dinner…

Me: “I’m going to bake some cookies.”

Derek: “Which kind?”

Me: “Chocolate Chip”

Derek: “No, I mean which brand?”

Me: “They don’t come from a brand silly, I want to make these from scratch.”

Derek: “Cookies from scratch? Really?”

HA! I guess someone didn’t grow up with homemade cookies? πŸ˜‰

I was tweeting for a good cookie recipe the other day and Lindsay’s Chocolate Cafe Chocolate Chip Cookies struck me as a ‘must try.’ Rarely do I feel the urge to bake, but tonight I had that urge!

IMG_1953.JPG

Instead of chocolate chips I broke up this little beauty that had been hiding in my cabinet for far too long.

IMG_1950.JPG

I also opted for walnuts instead of pecans.

IMG_1956.JPG

Fresh out of the oven.

IMG_1965.JPG

The cookies were delicious. They were oaty, chewy and perfect with a scoop of ice cream. πŸ™‚

IMG_1971.JPG

Hello weekend!

While I was making cookies Derek was finishing off an entire bottle of wine by himself. Can you say bad week? I’m off to comfort him.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

Good Night!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 16, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I live 1/2 a mile from Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods so you better believe I grocery shop when I’m bored oh you know every DAY of my life πŸ™‚

2 Exercise and Eat July 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I’m glad Derek has you to bake him cookies from scratch!

3 Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover July 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm

YAY for homemade cookies!
Wish you a lovely weekend, Meghann!

4 sweetandsweat July 16, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Full fridges make me happy. It’s almost like Christmas whenever you open the fridge.

5 Emilyeatsclean July 16, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Yum on the cookies! I love to grocery shop too. I don’t blame you for caving and going grocery shopping early! πŸ™‚

6 Leanne July 16, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I love grocery shopping!!! Those cookies look wonderful!!!

7 Rosey Rebecca July 17, 2010 at 12:05 am

Your cookies look so good! I hate making baked goods from mixes. The cafe where I work does that and it really bothers me.

I would have gone grocery shopping, too! It was an emergency, obviously. I have that same newman’s own salsa– love it!

Hope Derek feels better!

8 Ash Bear July 17, 2010 at 12:29 am

Sounds like Bo and Derek had similar weeks. He’s lucky to have such a great gal! These look great and were just added to my recipe stash. Yum!

9 britchickruns July 17, 2010 at 3:45 am

Oohh those cookies look lovely! Such a neat shape, mine never look like that πŸ˜›

10 Dawn July 17, 2010 at 5:55 am

Thanks for sharing the link to those cookies – they look delicious! I may have to try them this weekend.

I’m also incredibly impressed you remember your reusable totes when you go to the store. I have a couple, and I remember them about 10% of the time. I’ve tried keeping them by the door, in my car… you name it. It’s just new habit I’m having the hardest time forming.

11 shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 17, 2010 at 6:45 am

I hate the grocery store! I make sure that I have a list with everything that I need for the week because I refuse to go back.

12 Dori July 17, 2010 at 7:38 am

I didn’t grow up with cookies from scratch either. Or from a mix. In my house it was Reduced Fat Chips Ahoy all the way.

13 Faith July 17, 2010 at 10:16 am

Wine + cookies = perfect solution for a bad week :/

14 theprocessofhealing July 17, 2010 at 11:06 am

Awww poor Derek πŸ™ Those cookies look delicious though!

15 breakingsilence July 17, 2010 at 12:28 pm

You like to grocery shop?? Yeah, I definitely don’t. Of course, it doesn’t help that I am a part-time cashier at the local Publix. College isn’t free…but I seriously hate grocery shopping now.

16 missyrayn July 17, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Grocery shopping is so much fun. Especially when you get to look at all the fun stuff you might buy.

Glad Derek enjoyed the cookies πŸ™‚

17 Natalie (The Sweets Life) July 17, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed the cookies…and that Derek got to experience some homemade ones! It’s one of my favorite cookie recipes πŸ™‚

18 Jordan July 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Those cookies look delicious! Poor Derek. πŸ™ At least he has you for comfort and homemade baked goods!