What’s for Breakfast Mommy

by Meghann on July 15, 2010

Happy Tempo Thursday!

ChiPlanJuly15

Only my 2 mile cool down turned in to a 1 mile cool down thanks to some stomach issue that had to be taken care of ASAP. ( If you’re a runner, then you know what I’m talking about. 😉 )

Besides that, the run was great. 🙂

Stats:

• Mile 1: 9:25
  • Mile 2: 9:15
  • Mile 3: 8:15
  • Mile 4: 8:12
  • Mile 5: 8:07
  • Mile 6: 10:05 <—walking breaks were needed due to stomach issues

This is Maddie asking “What’s for breakfast Mommy?” 🙂 I <3 her!

IMG_1819

Well, Maddie… it’s actually a yummy bowl of Strawberry Cannoli Cereal.

IMG_1813

• 1/2 cup Multigrain Cherrios
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/4 cup Granola
  • Ricotta Cheese
  • Honey
  • Strawberry Preserves
  • Rolled Dates
  • Strawberries

IMG_1815

I <3 ricotta with cereal! I especially loved the addition of the preserves with the ricotta – it’s a combination I’ve been digging lately. 😉 As, I’m out of yogurt you may see this combination again tomorrow. 😉

Attending the Healthy Living Summit this year? Well, I’ve got news for you! – thanks to the folks at OpenSky the cocktail hour is going to ROCK! Check out the HLS blog for more details!!

In case you missed seeing my face in the June issue of Shape, they’ve posted the article online. Head HERE to check it out!!

TGIAF! – Thank God It’s Almost Friday! 🙂

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 15, 2010 at 9:10 am

Oh man, THAT’s why I can’t run in the morning. I’ve had to deal with stomach issues in the bushes…not gonna lie.

2 Maria July 15, 2010 at 9:14 am

Yummy breakfast!

Fresh fruit in the morning = Great start!

BTW My Susie has the same collar as Maddie! I love the polka dots!

3 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 15, 2010 at 9:18 am

Your pretty much rocking the “eating your pantry” week!

And just how big was thta ricotta container you bought? It seems endless heheh!

4 britchickruns July 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

Gah I hate stomach issues – they ruin runs!

5 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

Ah I hate *those* kind of running issues! Glad you were at the end of your workout 😉

6 PhillyGirlRuns July 15, 2010 at 9:50 am

aww I love Maddie’s collar! What a pretty girl.

7 Megan @ The Daily Sweat July 15, 2010 at 10:12 am

Ugh, I hate those stomach issues – they can really ruin a run! Thats one reason why I don’t run in the morning… : ) cute pup by the way!

8 Sarah July 15, 2010 at 10:23 am

Hooray! I don’t get Shape magazine so I tried finding it online when you first mentioned it. I’m glad to see your story was posted.:-)

9 Ash Bear July 15, 2010 at 10:27 am

Great job! I hate the running stomach issues too! They are the worst!

10 Sarah for Real July 15, 2010 at 10:28 am

Awe, a little dose of Maddie was just what I needed this morning. Thanks!

I bought your issue of Shape when it came out on newsstands 🙂 Super late congrats, by the way. Turned out really great!

11 bridetobefit July 15, 2010 at 10:47 am

Excited to read your shape article! And yes… TGIAF!!!

12 Jenny July 15, 2010 at 11:20 am

“I’m not 100% sure if I’m staying or not and blah, blah, blah…”

I’m calling it! You & Derek are moving in together.

13 Katie July 15, 2010 at 11:40 am

Definitely understand the tummy issues! Would you be able to please help me understand how to get mile split times on the Garmin? I have a 305… thx!

14 Meghann July 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Hi Katie – here is the post where I explain it http://graduatemeghann.com/2009/02/18/flexitarian-and-proud-of-it/

15 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 15, 2010 at 11:44 am

Never would have put Ricotta on cereal!! Your brekkie looks good though, so fresh!

16 Rosey Rebecca July 15, 2010 at 11:44 am

You cereal looks so good! I’ve been on and off with running for a while. Yesterday, I ran the furthest I’ve ever run–almost four miles. And I was actually going to ask for advice on my blog about the stomach issue thing? I couldn’t complete four miles because of it.

17 Casey July 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Rebecca,
Just wanted to say I used to have major *tummy* issues while running, ahem, and I had the same problem–almost couldn’t finish. But I find the longer I train and the more used to running my body becomes to the longer runs, it’s eased up. I think your body just needs to adjust to a somewhat regular running schedule…it worked for me! Also, sometimes I lay off the coffee or whole wheat stuff if my stomach is feeling weird/shaky before I run. 🙂

18 Meghann July 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Also, even if you get everything under control and sued it, there are still flair ups (like this morning) It just takes time 🙂

19 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 15, 2010 at 11:49 am

Can’t wait for the cocktail party!!

20 Amy July 15, 2010 at 1:03 pm

about the yummy breakfast – how much and what kind of ricotta cheese do you use. Looks great!

21 averymeggirl July 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Meghann, You make all your breakfasted look amazing!!

I am just going to eat what you do the next day for breakfast haha.. I never seem to get the right amount of fruit, yogurt and granola but somehow you always master it..

I started a new blog today!! http://www.averymeggirl.com

22 Alyssa July 15, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I am doing tempo runs on thursdays too! I find the heat and hills make them a lot slower than planned though. You have me completely addicted to ricotta for breakfast!

23 Casey July 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Your Shape article looks great, Meghann! I saw it on the mag but it’s exciting it’s featured on the Web site today! You look gorgeous in the photo. 🙂

24 Doc July 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I’m thankful you and Caitlin are so open and honest about stomach issues during running. I usually have trouble when it’s hot and I’m trying to go too fast.

I had a random running question – how often do you check your pace on your tempo and longer speedwork sessions? Do you look down at your garmin every few seconds, minutes, longer? Or do you just naturally know your pace?

I find I need to be on a treadmill to get the paces down and then I can go outside and tend to naturally speed up my pace (I suppose because my body gets used to the faster pace), but I can’t decide on a pace and hold it for tempo runs. I guess those have to be more of an exertion scale for me.

Anyway, thanks for any input you might have! And good luck on your tri this weekend – I know you’re super strong and motivated, so you’ll breeze through easier than you think. Just don’t let your brain tell you that you can’t do it!

25 Meghann July 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I randomly glance at it. I set what I think is the right pace and then I’m always casually checking to make sure. i probably check the garmin more that I should 🙂

26 Heather July 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Stomach issues on a run are the worst!

27 Kelly July 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Haha I do know what you’re talking about.

28 Jodie July 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Stomach issues are no fun. Have fun at the summit, i wish i could attend. Which brand of salmon burgers do you buy?

29 Meghann July 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm
30 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) July 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Ooh, I can’t wait for the HLS cocktail party. It’s going to be a blast!

31 Rachael July 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Momentarily wishing we were touring the mid-west instead of the northeast so I could attend the summit – have fun!
Morning stomach problems are sadly a staple for me, so my runs are forced into the afternoons – definitely puts a damper on your pace!

32 theprocessofhealing July 15, 2010 at 3:44 pm

SO excited about the cocktail party, it sounds like so much fun!

33 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 15, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I need to find rolled dates! You always make them look sooo good.

Jenn