The Last Veggies

by Meghann on July 15, 2010

A forgotten favorite returned to the dinner table tonight.

Can you believe it has been over a month since I’ve made nut crusted fries? I know – me either! These were a weekly staple for a minute there.

I followed the usual directions and went with sweet potato as my fry base since it was really the only thing I had left in the kitchen.

Well, besides bok choy. Gotta love that bok choy. πŸ˜‰

The bok choy was sauteed in some olive oil with red pepper flakes, garlic, and rolled dates. The combination was sweet, spicy, and worked well as a side dish to the fries. πŸ™‚

IMG_1856.jpg

Maddie was after my dessert this evening.

Coffee ice cream with a crumbled piece of Amanda’s Patriotic Blondie – you would be after it too, right?

My fridge is officially free of all fresh veggies and I’ve still got one day in my challenges to go. Luckily, there’s a mango hidden in the bottom drawer for breakfast tomorrow and the apple from lunch is still in my desk at work. I may be out of veggies, but I’ll be damned if they take my fresh fruit away from me. πŸ™‚

Now, I just need to figure out what am I going to do without vegetables for lunch or dinner tomorrow? Hmmm…. I guess this is when creativity really comes into play? Or I guess this is where I actually start digging into my freezer and pantry for food? HA!

We’ll see…. πŸ˜‰

Fun things to look forward to this weekend (besides grocery shopping) –

• Derek Visits!
  • A new cell phone! <– hopefully
  • My first Olympic Tri
  • Dog Park!
  • Getting my car back!
  • STAYING HOME!! πŸ™‚

Yippeee!!!

Can’t wait!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 15, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Isn’t it an amazing feeling to eat up rando food you almost forgot you had? It’s like free food πŸ™‚

2 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Good luck for your triathlon! I am really excited to hear all about it!!!

3 Exercise and Eat July 15, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Can’t wait to see what you make out of those meals… I’m in the same position- I want to clean out my cabinets, too!

4 Rosey Rebecca July 15, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Good luck at the Tri! I’m sure you’ll be amazing! Your nut-crusted fries sound amazing!

5 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com July 15, 2010 at 9:09 pm

What kinda phone are you getting? Hope it’s Android! Ha! You’re a MAC girl, though, so I guess it’ll be the iPhone 4.

6 ellaroo88 July 15, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Looks amazing! I’ve been missing sweet tators-we don’t turn to oven on when the ac is on so we have been living off the grill

7 Lauren @ Eater not a runner July 15, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I should be looking in my freezer too, who knows what’s in there!

8 Megan July 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm

those fries!! I always forget to make them!!

Good Luck this weekend!

9 Emilyeatsclean July 15, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I need to have a clean out my kitchen week!!! I’m interested to see what you make tomorrow! πŸ™‚

10 Nicole July 15, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Bok Choy! Best green ever! Good luck on your Olympic Tri! So exciting, you’re going to do so well. Ah, inspiration.

11 amanda July 15, 2010 at 11:20 pm

girl! i admire how you can blog a few times a day. i seriously love your dedication. it makes me happy!

yayy to friday tomorrow. have a blast this weekend!

12 bridetobefit July 15, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Those look AMAZING! I’m a new reader of your blog, so I was unaware of this recipe until now. Can.not.wait to make them!!

13 pursuitofhealthfulness July 16, 2010 at 1:56 am

As I was reading this, I was eating coffee-flavored yogurt. Granted I didn’t have a delicious blondie to crumble over it, but it was still tasty!

I usually love going to the store, but sometime when my money is low and my to-do list is long, it’s really not my number one priority. Your creativity this weeks has been an inspiration! (:

14 atastelife July 16, 2010 at 9:50 am

Don’t you just love not having anywhere to go once in awhile?!?!!? I know I do!!!

15 missyrayn July 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I finished all my fridge foods and it looked so empty. So Hunni and I went to the grocery and stocked it up again. WE almost emptied our freezer a week ago so that is next to be stocked. The pantry is another story because it is full of different whole grains that need something to go with them.