Frozen Lunch

by Meghann on July 15, 2010

I have this awful habit of randomly purchasing frozen meals that look great when I’m at Publix – and am obviously shopping on an empty stomach – but when they make it home they proceed to sit in my freezer for months at a time. The same mantra goes through my head every time – “these will be great in a pinch’ – but that ‘pinch’ never seems to present itself.

I’m a meal planner most of the time and frozen meals never do it for me.

This Amy’s Frozen Meal has been in my freezer for MONTHS! In fact, I believe I originally purchased it with a coupon I received at the first Healthy Living Summit almost a year ago!

IMG_1822

I still really wasn’t in a pinch per se, but knew I would be running errands at lunch time and decided now would be as good of time as any to give the boxed meal a shot.

IMG_1824

I slit the plastic and put the frozen meal in our ancient microwave for 5 minutes per the box’s direction. Then I put it in for another minute and then another minute and then another until the total came to 9 minutes in the microwave. Honestly, it would have been faster for to make a sandwich at this point.  😉

IMG_1828

Overall, the meal was pretty tasty. I loved tamales and the corn masa actually tasted very fresh for being frozen.

IMG_1836

My only complaint was the lack of vegetables in tamale filling, but I think that’s always my complaint when ever I’m not making my own meal. Why are people so afraid to overload meals with veggies? 🙂

IMG_1838

I knew the boxed meal wouldn’t be enough so I brought an apple and fritos with salsa on the side.

IMG_1826

The fritos and salsa were all I needed. I had saved the apple for last and never ended up eating it. The boxed meal was surprisingly really filling and the fritos were a great crunchy addition to the meal. 🙂

For a mini dessert I decided to try some vitamin gummys a company sent me.

IMG_1839

I’m so much more likely to remember to take my vitamins if it comes in a fun treat. I think that’s why I love Adora Dark Chocolate Calcium supplements so much. 🙂

IMG_1842

This morning I had a refreshing piece of watermelon as a snack with a cheese stick.

IMG_1821

And after ANOTHER 2 hour meeting (that’s two days in a row), I snacked on some dried fruit and nuts.

IMG_1845

Is it really after 4:00 already? Where did the day go?!?!

1 hundredtenpounds July 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Frozen meals are usually a pretty filling lunch for me.

2 sweetersalt July 15, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Frozen meals do lack in the veggie department. Sometimes I’ll bulk them up with my own, but at that point I probably should have just cooked 🙂

3 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 15, 2010 at 4:33 pm

The black beans don’t look really tasty .. 🙁 But eh! It doesn’t need to be pretty to be tasty!

I do have this urge of buying frozen meals whenever they are on sales.

I spent years eating them for lunch and it looks like I can’t get rid of this habbit 🙂

4 spabettie July 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I’ve had a few of Amy’s frozen foods, and I have always liked them, for what they are… 🙂

I LOVE gummis… gummi vitamins make me happy.

5 Stephanie July 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm

You always have such tasty dried fruits-where do you get them? I especially love the kiwi!

6 Meghann July 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

The dried kiwi are from a fruit stand called Robert is Here outside of Miami 🙂

7 britchickruns July 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm

You seem to get WAAY better frozen meals in the States – the ones here are so artifical and gross 🙁

8 Courtney @ Three Months July 15, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Oh, that dried kiwi looks great. Never tried it – but I’m always intrigued when I see it on your blog!

9 Sarah for Real July 15, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Amy’s are my go-to if I’m looking to pick up an “in a pinch” frozen meal. But I can never get over how expensive they are! For a frozen meal?! Only with a coupon usually 😀

10 Heather July 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Amy’s meals are usually a pretty safe bet if you are going to go the frozen meal route, I’ve never had a bad one from that line. I agree with Sarah for Real though, they are super pricey!

11 Annie July 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I always buy frozen dinners then forget about them! It doesn’t help that my studio doesn’t have a microwave, so if I want a frozen meal, it’ll take 40 minutes in the oven and make my apartment a blazing inferno of hellfire. 🙂

12 averymeggirl July 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I love Amy’s meals.. I just wish they weren’t so expensive!! mmm Gummy Vitamins.. I never take vitamins maybe I should take them!

13 Casi July 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Where do you find your dried kiwi?? They always look so tasty from your pictures and I have never seen them before…which makes me want to try them even more! Thanks!!

14 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I must say that I am always quite wary of frozen meals – but that one doesnt look too bad!!!! I agree re the lack of veggies though – I am always complaining about that too!

15 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy July 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I really love Amy’s meals – everything I’ve tried of theirs has been very tasty!

16 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife July 15, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I love Mexican, but really can’t get into the texture of tamales. I should probably give them at least one more try, but at the moment I’m just not a fan 🙁

17 Jess- The Semi Abnormal Gal July 15, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I really like Amy’s Meals and eat them for lunch often when the school year is in (I’m a high school science teacher)….they heat up fast if you let them “defrost”….I just keep mine in my lunch bag (instead of the freezer) until it’s time for lunch and then they are ready in 1-2 minutes. I’ve never need to cook them for the whole length of time.

18 Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover July 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm

This is so true – frozen meals are always lacking on the veggie department!
😀

19 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 15, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I love Amy’s light in sodium frozen meals. They’re so tasty and filling.

Jenn

20 Emilyeatsclean July 15, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I love Amy’s organic products! I haven’t tried this one though.