The Library Story

by Meghann on July 14, 2010

Ok, so the library story isn’t as big of a deal as you think.

Truth is my driver’s license still has my parent’s home address on it. Never mind the fact I haven’t lived there in over 7 years (give or take that month I lived at home before moving to Orlando) I just can’t bring myself to change my address because A) I’ve lived in a different address every year since I moved out of my parent’s and B) it’s such a pain to head to the DMV in the first place, especially with all those new crazy laws they have in place.

Anyways.. because my license has my parent’s Brevard County address on it, they won’t let me have a library card to the Orange County Library. To them I’m not considered a resident. Granted I could go get a new driver’s license that has my current address on it and prove I am indeed a resident, but my lease is up in September and I’m not 100% sure if I’m staying or not and blah, blah, blah…

On the flip side I could go use the Brevard County Library, but that’s so far away. πŸ˜‰

So that you have it. I told you it was a long story. Aren’t you glad I didn’t go into it the first time?

This afternoon I had a mini bag of popcorn, which I accidentally burnt when I walked away to check e-mail. Oopss…

I was at a loss for dinner. My fridge is bare and my head was tired. Solution? Take the easy route and make a salmon burger from the freezer.

I did manage to spice it up with some ricotta cheese, strawberry preserves, and fresh basil.

Sounds strange and interesting, but unfortunately all those fun flavors disappeared behind the salmon. Maybe next time it needs more preserves to really stand out?!?!

The only green vegetable left in my fridge: bok choy.

Which I steamed with salt. πŸ™‚ It reminded me of cooked spinach.

An assortment of chocolates, rolled dates, and Kashi H2H for dessert.

For Sale

The time has come to sell my original MacBook Baby.

DSCN2587.JPG

She has served me well over the years, but I’ve unfortunately outgrown her and must move on to bigger and better things. She will be missed. πŸ™

However, my loss could be your gain. πŸ˜‰

If anyone out there is looking to purchase a gently used, fully loved White MacBook (purchased in December 2008 – here’s the post) please send me an e-mail at graduatemeghann@gmail.com.

Here are the stats:

• Model Name: MacBook
  • Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
  • Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
  • Number Of Processors: 1
  • Total Number Of Cores: 2
  • L2 Cache: 3 MB
  • Memory: 4 GB
  • Bus Speed: 800 MHz
  • Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
  • SMC Version (system): 1.31f0

Thanks to the upgraded memory she still runs like a dream – even with a maxed out hard drive. She’s a good computer and I know will make her next owner very happy. πŸ™‚

1 Erin July 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Aw, it’s so sad to move on to a new computer. Are you staying in the Mac family? Once you go Mac, you NEVER go back! πŸ˜‰

2 Evan Thomas July 14, 2010 at 9:11 pm

You could try that burger with cream cheese for a more cheesier flavor.

3 carly July 14, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Meghann, the library should give you a card if you bring ANY proof of residence, like a copy of your rental agreement. I have the exact same problem. Maybe Fla. laws are different, but I would think they can’t turn you away JUST because of your license. Any valid proof of residence should work. πŸ™‚

4 Carrie @ TV and Dinners July 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Yes, I was going to suggest this. I got a library card in Nashville by bringing an electric bill. πŸ™‚

5 postcollegecook July 14, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I did the same thing when I lived in St. Louis for a summer. I just brought in my lease. No biggie!

6 Heather July 15, 2010 at 4:55 am

I did the same! Just a bill with my name and current address and it was fine πŸ™‚ Maybe that would work?

7 Kathryn July 15, 2010 at 7:16 am

was going to suggest the same thing πŸ™‚ we just had to bring in a piece of mail with our name on it

8 Stephanie July 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Exactly what I was going to say. The MA RMV isn’t sending out update stickers for licenses anymore, but my library takes a current utility bill as proof of address now. Not sure if FLA does the same, but it’s worth a try.

9 grace b July 14, 2010 at 9:14 pm

As a long time library addict I am SHOCKED that they won’t accept you. Could you take a piece of mail with your current address on it? That normally helps.

10 Samantha Angela July 14, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I had the same thing happen when I lived in Toronto, but I was able to just bring in one of my utilities bills with my name and address on it, no problem.

11 Courtney @ Three Months July 14, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Hahaha. I’m glad you shared the story!! πŸ™‚

12 missyrayn July 14, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I’m the same with the other ladies. When I was at seminary my license still had my old address in WNY on it and they took my piece of mail from my new residence. Try that.

13 Mari July 14, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I have to comment and also second and third what others have said..most libraries let you bring in a utility bill, check book, etc. anything like that with your current address and that works just fine!

14 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 14, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I’m so disapointed in your story! I was waiting on some sorts of criminal activity heheheh!!! πŸ™‚

15 Emilyeatsclean July 14, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Ohhh I love books on cd form the library!! I’m looking forward to my new job that I start in a couple of weeks where some extra driving will be required…..I hope to finally get some books “read”! πŸ™‚

16 Lauren @ Eater not a runner July 14, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I am upgrading my mac too, so exciting!

17 runningwithsass July 14, 2010 at 10:08 pm

so funny. it’s the library! so funny they are so strict!

18 theprocessofhealing July 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Your dinner sounds SO good!!! In theory anyway haha
So crazy about the library..

19 Jackie July 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm

I have felt your pain about the library situation. I had a similar problem but as a library geek, I didn’t give up. And now I have a card. Your dinner looked yummy.

20 michele July 14, 2010 at 10:55 pm

The other posters are right, you can probably show a current bill with your address on it. And as an out of work librarian, I highly encourage you to use the hell out of your local library. Libraries are almost always the first places local governments make cuts, so circulating as many materials as possible is a good thing! πŸ™‚ Hope they give you that card!

21 Alisha July 14, 2010 at 11:47 pm

When I moved back home last year, after being in another state for college and work, I decided to get another library card that’d I’d misplaced over the years. Their records show that I still have a VHS tape of The Lion King from, like, 13 years ago or something. First of all, WHAT?! And second of all, THE LION KING?! No, just no. I’m positive that’s some kind of error because I know for a fact my family owned the VHS of that movie. I owe money, but since I’m 100% sure that’s an error because I know I checked out books all the time in high school, I refuse to pay and use my mom’s card.

I’ve never tried a book on CD before. Hmm, I’ll have to give it a try on my next long car trip.

22 Sarah July 15, 2010 at 12:11 am

Awe I love that photo of Maddie on your desktop. Does that come with the mac book?

23 Tiffany July 15, 2010 at 12:46 am

I have been living in San Diego county for over 10 years now, but my Driver’s License still shows my parents’ address in Los Angeles county. I was able to sign up for a SD country library card simply by bringing in two proofs of residency (i.e. utilities bills). You look find out if that will be adequate for your library as well.

24 Macey July 15, 2010 at 12:57 am

Hi Meghan! I am a childrens librarian, and I just wanted to let you know that your address on your liscence doesn’t have to be current in order to get a card. You just need something that proves your residency, such as a water or power bill. As long as one of your utility bills cones to your current address with your name on it, you should be able to get a card. At least that’s the way it is in Idaho.
I really hope you get a card because the library is such a great place, and your tax dollars make it possible. πŸ™‚

25 kelly July 15, 2010 at 7:50 am

lots of people don’t have driver’s licenses- you should be able to use a bill with your address on it as proof of residency!

26 Allison July 15, 2010 at 8:04 am

In Florida, you can change your driver’s license address online for like $25. I had to go into the office when I married to change my name, but you can do the address thing online. Just Google it! The downtown library in Orlando is awesome, and they have a great Friends of the Library used book sale every January when everything in their store is half off!

27 Whitney July 15, 2010 at 8:54 am

As a active user of the Chicago Public Library system: I figured there was a way around your problem. I got my card with a Texas license and an electric bill with my chicago address. Looks like you could do the same if you were so inclined.

“To obtain your free library card, please present your valid Florida Driver’s License or Florida State Identification, showing your correct name and residential street address within our Library District. If your Florida Driver’s License or Florida State Identification lists a P.O. Box or any address other than your correct residential street address, additional identification is required. You may present one of the following items that is in your name and has the correct residential street address on it for consideration:

β€’Current Property Tax Receipt for Real Property
β€’Current home telephone, cable, or utility bill with service address
β€’Current bank statement

28 Stephanie July 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Totally off-topic, but the Chicago Public Libary Commissioner is a bada$$. I read her response to the Fox Chicago article about why we don’t need libraries, and it was AWESOME.

29 whitneyinchicago July 16, 2010 at 9:11 am

I read the same response. That Fox article was so very very offbase. Every Chicago library I have ever been in has been filled with people.

30 Tina July 15, 2010 at 8:55 am

I would love a new laptop like that, but don’t have it in the budget. I have to survive with my special one. It isn’t even that old, but so finicky! I hope you’re able to sell it fast.

31 Samantha July 15, 2010 at 9:06 am

Don’t feel bad about not changing your address…my driver’s license still has my parents’ address on it and I haven’t lived there in 10 years. But as in your situation, I have moved 15 times in those 10 years, and constantly changing the address on my license is a headache I just don’t need. Maybe when I settle down…

32 rebecca lustig July 15, 2010 at 9:27 am

craigslist is a beautiful thing!!

as much as i hate parting with possessions, it’s also exciting to feel like i’m starting a new chapter of my life. letting go and starting fresh. ahh, love it!

have a beautiful day!

33 Kelly July 15, 2010 at 10:24 am

I just emailed you asking about the laptop. Maybe it fits in my budget!

34 Michelle... July 15, 2010 at 11:04 am

I guess I’m lucky…here in Massachusetts we can submit change of address online. Sooo hassle free!

35 Kristina July 15, 2010 at 11:39 am

ha! πŸ™‚ the intrigue of you being banned from the library was fun. πŸ™‚

36 Stephanie July 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

For the CD, some libraries have e-books on their online databases. Does yours do that? You get to “borrow” them for a month and you can download them to a computer, WMP or even iTunes.

37 Susan July 15, 2010 at 2:28 pm

FYI, you can update your address for FL license online- takes 5 or less minutes and they mail you a new one.

38 sarah July 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm

my license also has my parents address on it and im your age:)…i don’t change it cause my car is registered in my parents town instead of the chicago (where i live) so that way i don’t have to buy a city sticker! yea im cheap:) but they are like $100 or something!

39 Kim July 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Meghann you’ve gotta get the Orange County library card going! I got mine about 2 months ago (I go to the Edgewater branch) and my fiancee jokes that I use my library card more than my credit card! But seriously, I probably do… we get DVDs there (tons of movies, and a massive wall of seasons of tv shows – right now we’re on an X-files telebinge), and I read 1-2 books a week there. The downtown library is cool too b/c it’s so huge – AND you can download 3 free songs a week from the library’s website once you’re a member. I can’t believe I waited a year after moving to Orlando to get in on the library… especially since I don’t have cable, my library card is my primary source of entertainment and it’s totally free πŸ™‚ Good luck!!

And awesome idea for clean-out-your-pantry/freezer-and-save-money week! Love your blog πŸ™‚