The Last Swim

by Meghann on July 14, 2010

This morning I had my last swim before my olympic triathlon this weekend.

I’ll be the first to admit that I do not feel prepared for this triathlon at all. It’s like my first triathlon all over again. For that one I kind of squeezed all the training into the weekend before and decided I would wing it the day of. Since everything will be double the distance this time around, I’m not sure how much winging it will work.

It’s actually pretty sad because I was so proud of all the hard work I had put into training for my sprint triathlon in May. I was positive that I could keep up the same great training ethic until this tri, but somehow marathon training and traveling got in the way.

I am still very determined to complete the tri on Sunday. I know it may take me a little longer than it would have if I would have trained a little harder with swimming and biking, but I also know that I can do this. I will cross that finish line and I will have a smile on my face. 🙂

The work out in the pool wasn’t too terrible. My goal was to focus on endurance, so I did 1000 meters freestyle with limited breaks. Unfortunately that’s still 500 meters short of the open water swim on Sunday. Yikes.

Gym in the morning = breakfast at the desk.

IMG_1757

Last night I made overnight oats in the last of my Fage with 1/2 cup oats, strawberry preserves, craisins, cinnamon, and PB2.

IMG_1759

I added a fresh peach at my desk.

IMG_1763

This was my first attempt at using the PB2 in the oats and I was very pleased with how evenly dispersed the peanut buttery taste was. I want to try it next in a smoothie. 🙂

IMG_1765

Peace!

But, first a question…

Have you ever felt unprepared for a race? What happened?

1 runnerstrials July 14, 2010 at 8:59 am

I feel the same way as you. I have my first Olympic tri in 2.5 weeks and have been slacking so bad w/ swimming and biking. I hope we both do better than expected 🙂

2 britchickruns July 14, 2010 at 9:03 am

I think so much of it is mind set – if you believe you can do it, you can.
I felt slightly unprepared for my 2nd half mary, after all the snow we had over here (I couldn’t run) – but I still did it – it was hard and I was tired, but I was so thrilled to finish 😀

3 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 14, 2010 at 9:04 am

Don’t worry, you’re gonna rock it!
I’ve definitely been unprepared for a race before- usually race day excitement takes over and it turns out just fine- although sometimes you’re a little more sore afterwards. (Although being REALLY unprepared could probably lead to injury…)

4 Courtney @ Three Months July 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

You will do great in the tri – for sure!

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 14, 2010 at 9:11 am

I wish you the best of luck. The fact that you are even doing a triathalon amazes me!

6 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 14, 2010 at 9:13 am

I’m sure you’ll do great 🙂 Maybe you don’t feel prepared enough but I’m pretty sure you’re way more prepared than a lot of people!

Good luck!

7 heypgh July 14, 2010 at 9:14 am

haha, oh my, i loved Bug Juice.

8 ida181 July 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

I have done a few races without being properly trained, and I just treat the race like a fun run. I ignore pace and enjoy the scenery- some of my most fun races have been ones i wasn’t really ‘in shape’ for. Just enjoy the fact that your able to race-i’m sure you’ll do great!

9 Kate July 14, 2010 at 9:38 am

I haven’t run in a race since I did track and cross-country in high school (although I still run a lot now). I ALWAYS felt unprepared for cross-country races, because I started running on the track and felt infinitely more comfortable there with the shorter distances and visible pacing mechanism of a big 1/4-mile track to run around!

What I found was that I was rarely ACTUALLY unprepared for a race, but that FEELING unprepared could be a total confidence-killer. If you think you’re unprepared, or that you ate something wrong, or that you’re going to cramp up, whatever you’re thinking of is a million times more likely to actually happen. I had to learn to go into races feeling confident and relaxed and positive, and then I improved. That kind of confidence is really the only reason I can go out and run outdoors in the heat these days!

10 Sarah July 14, 2010 at 9:58 am

I’ve run two half marathons feeling unprepared. Everything turned out okay. I took care of myself, and I didn’t end up injured. In fact, I got a massage after the second one! And I was proud of myself for what my body as able to accomplish, even if I didn’t adequately prepare.

11 Kelly July 14, 2010 at 10:00 am

You’ll still do great! You’re so fit in general, that you’ll be able to pull it off!

12 Laura July 14, 2010 at 10:08 am

I did a half marathon two weeks ago that I did not feel prepared for AT ALL. It was a tough course, too, so I went in knowing that my only hope/expectation was to HAVE FUN. You’re an athlete–you know you can get it done! Just don’t pressure yourself, enjoy the ride, and treat like a really awesome training run (/swim/bike…you know what i mean).
Without the pressure, you can just enjoy the experience.
Yay! Good luck! 🙂

13 weg1986 July 14, 2010 at 10:11 am

YES! Because life sometimes gets in the way, race week I had to take a little unexpected time off before race time. However it ended up working out in my favor. I was rested and rejuvenated and I did awesome! I’m sure the same will be true for you!

14 Alexis @ Mission: Ambition July 14, 2010 at 10:31 am

Good luck! You’ll do great I’m sure 🙂

15 gavrielski July 14, 2010 at 10:43 am

I wish you lots of luck this weekend! I have definitely felt unprepared for races and big games before, but at a certain point your body just takes over and knows what to do. You will absolutely finish this race, and I hope you have a great time doing it!

16 Run Sarah July 14, 2010 at 10:48 am

Good luck – I am sure you will do great! The fact you have two tris under your belt will help a lot, I am sure.

17 Katrina @ BonafideHumanity.com July 14, 2010 at 10:55 am

I’ve never commented before, but I just experienced this last weekend.
I was doing the MLB all star 5k for time.
I wanted to beat 20 minutes, but I have been injured, sick with the flu, and definitely was not feeling 100%.
The day of the race was sunday and at a 6 minute mile for the first one, I could already feel my injury/sickness sitting on my shoulders.

Once one girl passed me, I began to completely give up mentally. In fact I even contemplated quiting right then and there and walking off the path.
I ended with a 22 minute time, and a very heavy heart. In reality, while I kept running after mile one, I had already given up mentally. Giving up on myself was much more dissappointing than my time, and if I hadn’t quit mentally I probably would have hit my goal. I really wish I wouldn’t have let my lack of prep get to me so bad, but what can I say..it happens.

So if I have any advice, its to keep your head in there, and just have fun. No matter what you’re going to cross the finish line, so as long as you’re putting in your all, then you’ve already crossed a personal finish line.

With that being said, you’re going to do great. Just have fun!
Good Luck Girly!

xoKatrina M.<3

18 Dawn July 14, 2010 at 11:22 am

Oh, I have felt unprepared for races SO many times, especially when conquering a new sport or distance. I don’t think I slept for 3 days before doing my first half-ironman – I was such a little stressball. I was SO worried about being undertrained.

What happened? I finished the race! I hit my target times for all three sports and finished the race just in the allowed time window. (I knew it was going to be close, because I’m not a fast runner and it was a super-hilly bike course). I’m guessing you’ll be just fine! On the day of the race, just focus on having fun and you’ll get to the finish line before you know it!

19 carly July 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

I’m sure you’ll be fine, but I also wanted to say that I think you made the right choice in focusing more on marathon training. It seems that qualifying for Boston is your main goal right now, and it’s good that you’re keeping that a priority! But good luck at your triathlon … you’ll probably be even better than you realize. 🙂

20 Emily G July 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

Also a triathlon unprepared story – I attempted a Oly distance for my first tri. I was way underprepared for the swim and the day of the race (in June, in MN) it was 60 out and 62 in the water. I was frozen. I made it about 200 yards in and flagged a kayak. Had I survived the swim, I probably would have imploded on the bike – lesson learned: train.

At the same time, I’ve done many running races without really training and it’s pretty easy to get in the “have fun” frame of mind. Sometimes it’s even been a pleasant surprise when I’ve got low expectations.

Have fun out there – and if everything really does go wrong (it won’t) you can laugh about it later.

21 Lauren @ Running Examiner July 14, 2010 at 11:34 am

I don’t think I have EVER felt 100% prepared for a race. I also took the ‘wing it’ approach to my first Olympic tri. (No, I don’t advocate doing this, but sometimes it happens!) Since I didn’t have any great expectations of myself, I ended up being *very* pleased with my performance. I actually was well-prepared for the race…I just doubted myself, initially.

You have completed many races and always demonstrate a strong performance, so I’m sure you will do well in this tri. Good luck!

22 Heather July 14, 2010 at 11:47 am

I am sure you will do great!

I was unprepared for the hills in my last half marathon. In my first half, I never stopped to walk and about 1/2 way through my most recent half marathon I had to stop and walk. I got so mad at myself for doing that – I basically gave up. It was not good.

23 Lizz @ leading the good life July 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I ran a half marathon feeling unprepared in May. I went into the race telling myself it was just a training run, since I knew I wouldn’t be nearing any PRs. Then it turned out to be SUPER hot and muggy that day and was a pretty miserable experience all around! However, looking back on it, I feel stronger for having done it. Plus, I’m grateful that my ‘bad’ race experience wasn’t during one that I really cared about.

24 Erin 'Ed' Donahue July 14, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I’m sure you’ll do great on your race! At least you’ve still been training for something so you still have your aerobic conditioning, which I think will help a lot.
Oh! And I love your Vera Bradley lunch box! 🙂

25 Derek July 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

remember my first 5k that took like 38 min? Ouch…yeah…unprepared. But remember the seasons 52 5.2k that was…28 min? Yeah…prepared. =)

26 Nichole July 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I am sending you loads of well wishes. I just read your first tri story. Goosebumps.

What an accomplishment. You have many similar fears as I do about my first tri, the swim.

Regardless, you are going to do GREAT and what an accomplishment.

Best of luck!

27 Kristin @ Navigating the Waves July 14, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I’m sure with the adrenaline of the race, you’ll be able to complete the swim faster than you think you can. When open water swimming, the best thing to do is not to panic and not to doubt yourself. Focus on your breathing, the rotation of your body, and the movement of your arms and legs – thinking about the distance can just seem daunting. There’s no shame in not setting a PR for this race – it seems like you just love the feeling of racing, so enjoy it 🙂

28 rc1001 July 14, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I was totally unprepared for my last race but it was only a 5k so it was pretty easy to wing it.

My time was one of my slowest (but only by less than a minute) but I ended up winning tickets to a baseball game in the raffle after the race.

So you may win in ways you didn’t think of!