more ยป" />

Sweet Potato Pizza

by Meghann on July 13, 2010

Let’s call this creation Sweet Potato Pizza.

Basically it’s pizza on a sweet potato instead of a crust.

Complete with marinara sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil, and some crushed almond for a little crunch.

Creative, no? It was actually really, really good and something quick to throw together after yoga tonight.

Yoga was intense tonight, but not in that fast paced constantly flowing way, it was more of that holding difficult poses for as long as possible way. It was a nice change of pace and one that will leave me sore in the morning. I can already feel it in my shoulders. ๐Ÿ™‚

I brought a container of Honey Nut Cheerios as a snack today.

The cheerios seemed light, so I dug into my desk drawer and found some almond butter to add to the mix.

Mmmm… much better. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dessert was in the form of vanilla ice cream with a sprinkle of granola.

I’ve been recording the new show Huge on ABC Family and have really been enjoying it. If you’re not familiar with the show, Huge revolves around seven teens that are sent to fat camp for the summer.

I like the fact that even though the entire show is based on over weight teenagers who are trying to lose weight at fat camp, it’s not what the story line actually focuses on. Instead the show revolves around the drama of what typical teens would be going through at camp, whether they were there to lose weight or not. They’re still struggling to find their place amongst the popular and not so popular. They’re still struggling as they try to find themselves. And they’re still looking for love.

It’s a great teen drama and I would recommend it as a good summer watch.

The show kind of reminds me of Bug Juice. Only that was a reality television show that took place at camp. Did anyone ever watch that back in the day on the Disney Channel? I wonder what ever happened to those kids?

Did you ever go to summer camp?

When I was in middle school I went to Sea World Adventure Camp down in the keys. It was pretty cool. We got to say in old slave quarter on one of the abandoned keys (Pigeon Key) and spent our days snorkeling and swimming.

In high school I went to Aquatic Adventure Camp in Pennsylvania . There I learned to kayak and earned my scuba diving certification. ๐Ÿ™‚

Camps were fun! I wish I had been able to go to more back in the day.

1 Emilyeatsclean July 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Sweet potato pizza…interesting!! And you can’t go wrong with cereal and nut butter.

2 lowandbhold July 13, 2010 at 9:24 pm

That’s a really interesting “pizza” idea! I never went to real summer camp, but I did usually go to church camp for a week.

3 Carrie @ TV and Dinners July 13, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I love Huge, and the first thing I thought of when I watched it was Bug Juice as well!! I ADORED that show. I would love a “where are they now” for the campers from all three seasons (and the hot counselors). ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Lizzy July 13, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Hi Meghann! So I just made a tart that was similar to your pizza only I grated the potato and mixed it with as an egg for the crust and baked it- then added a yummy filling. You should try it! I went to overnight camp for almost ten years and I loved it!

5 Erin July 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I loved Bug Juice! Wow, you’re bringing up the old memories now… ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’ve seen a couple episodes of Huge and like it, even though some of the acting is terrible. It spreads a good message about being healthy but accepting your body.

6 theprocessofhealing July 13, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Sweet potato pizza sounds GOOD!!! And I’ve never been to camp before.

7 Courtney @ Three Months July 13, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I went to a few Christian camps during the summer growing up..In good old rural Nebraska! Love the sweet potato pizza idea!!

8 anotherannabanana July 13, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I LOVED Bug Juice. Totally have the theme song in my head now. I need to look up that show Huge I suppose.

Also, your pizza looks delish. I wonder if it would be as good if you thinly sliced the potato so it was more crust like and less cube-y…

9 Melissa July 13, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Hahaha, Bug Juice! I loved that show. I would rush to the TV every time a new episode was on. I had to find out what the latest drama was! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll have to watch Huge cuz I’d probably like it.

10 Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 13, 2010 at 9:45 pm

that sweet potato creation is CRAZINESS . . . I might be so bold to try it, maybe

11 Stephanie July 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm

LOVED Bug Juice! Watched it all the time with my friends!!

12 Faith July 13, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Oh bummer – I wanted to catch those episodes and I missed them! I wonder if they’re up on the website or Hulu – it seemed like a really interesting show!

13 Sarah July 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Bug Juice was one of my favorite shows, as was Hey Dude! I went to a regular overnight summer camp as well as a water ski camp. Because of what I learned there, I spent my first 2 summers in college working as a water ski instructor. I’m pretty sure it was the best job I ever had!!

14 Liz July 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I loved Bug Juice. One of my good friends actually went to and was a counselor at Camp Waziyatah in Maine and knew some of the kids on the show. She was never on it, though.

15 blissfulhope July 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm

OMG I lovedddd Bug Juice too! My friends and I actually made our own VHS one summer where we all had our own roles etc. Such an awesome show (as I can STILL sing the theme song in my head)! Ha! I haven’t heard about Huge but I definitely plan to check it out. I went to State Police camp when I was younger which was awesome as well! Thanks for sharing =)

16 Dynamics July 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I MADE my daughter go to 4-H camp one summer. No one in her group was going. I told her if after two days she wanted to come home I would come and get her. She had a blast and went every year until she turned 18. The only thing she complained about was me sending her postcards EVERY DAY. In order to get your mail you had to do something in front of the group. Yep, they got to pick what you did. She has fond memories and has friends all over the country who she still corresponds with. If you have a chance…send your kids to camp at least once and then let them decide if it is for them or not. Pay back was me sending post cards to the kids who made her do things the following year. HA.

17 Alexis @ Mission: Ambition July 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I never went to a specific camp when I was kid…always wanted to though. BUT my family went camping all the time, like almost every weekend in the summer so maybe that counts?

That sweet potato pizza looks delicious!

18 Lacey @ Lake Life July 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I have a question. You said you dug around in your desk for some nut butter, but I always thought nut butters had to be refrigerated after opening? That is the only reason I shy away from nut butters, because they weren’t easily spreadable after refrigerating.

19 Meghann July 14, 2010 at 5:40 am

nut butter do not have to be refrigerated. I only refrigerate my all natural nut butters because it keeps the oils from separating. At least that’s what it’s suppose to do. ๐Ÿ™‚

20 runningwithsass July 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I used to love camps! we always went to sports camps…soccer, basketball, and volleyball, and then just a general “camp” for a week in the summers…lived in cabins..canoed and did camp-y things.

21 Danielle July 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I never watched Bug Juice while it was on the Disney Channel but I found out that my friend’s husband was a camp counselor on the show! It was the summer before he went to Cornell and he loved it! I don’t know what the rest of them are doing but he is doing very well with a beautiful house, wife and two children ๐Ÿ™‚

22 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. July 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I’ve seen the previews for Huge, but have yet to catch an episode. I never was able to go to summer camp…I feel like I really missed out!

23 caitlin July 13, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I love Bug Juice. I also started watching Huge and like it.

I went to a day camp as well as overnight church camp…both were fun!

Do you watch Pretty LIttle Liars on Abc Family? I would recommend that as well!

24 Meghann July 14, 2010 at 5:42 am

Love that show too! I’m a fan of all shows ABC family except The Secret Life… worst show EVER! ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Fallon July 13, 2010 at 11:42 pm

So I have a sweet potato cooked, and I have this amazing marinara sauce. I didn’t want pasta but I wanted to use this sauce.. I thought about adding it to my sweet potato, but it didn’t seem right! You just convinced to try this tomorrow. LOL

26 Melissa @ Tryingtoheal July 13, 2010 at 11:49 pm

i’ve been watching HUGE since it started and still aren’t sure what to think of it. i like it, but then i don’t; i was totally put off by the episode where one of the girls put up “thinspiration”. erked me a bit.

27 Conni July 14, 2010 at 12:22 am

I LOVED Bug Juice!!!
My sister and I would watch it all the time.
“Bug juice, it doesn’t come in a jar. Bug juice comes from who you are!”
Yes ma’am I still remember the song. lol

28 Erin 'Ed' Donahue July 14, 2010 at 12:39 am

I totally remember Bug Juice!! My favorite camp series is hands down Salute Your Shorts! Oh, classic Nickelodeon.

When I was younger I’d go to week long Girl Scout camps. I’d usually do about three per summer. We were camping in permanent tents (canvas flaps and all!) and each camp had a theme like horseback riding, mystery, hiking & exploring, etc. My parents sent me the best letters; I still have them!

29 almondbutterandbanana July 14, 2010 at 12:43 am

Wow, I suddenly have a hankering for sweet potato pizza now! That looks REALLY good to me – pretty much all of my favorite things (sweet potatoes, cheese and ketchup/tomato-based sauces) in one. I’ll have to try it with the pre-cut sweet potato fries they have at TJs. Thanks for the tip!

And, yep, I went to all sorts of summer camps. One year I went to a performing arts camp and played the part of an exploding toilet in the end of summer play. My parents must have been proud!

30 Claire July 14, 2010 at 2:16 am

Hi, a British reader here! Bug Juice was shown over here and I loved it! I actually couldnt believe you had such amazing places like Camp as we don’t here- was v jealous! Love reading your blog btw

31 Chasing the Now July 14, 2010 at 2:40 am

I LOVED Bug Juice. Unfortunately we didn’t get Disney until just right before the show stopped airing. ๐Ÿ™

32 Cara July 14, 2010 at 6:03 am

Oh my god, I was OBSESSED with Bug Juice!! Who did I have a crush on…Chase? I don’t remember…but I could sing the entire theme song by memory. ๐Ÿ™‚

33 shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 14, 2010 at 7:22 am

My parents owned a restaurant so we worked and didn’t go to camps in the summer. However I was a camp counsellor at a day camp through part of highschool and university… that was so fun!

34 DiningAndDishing July 14, 2010 at 8:25 am

If you like that show, I highly recommend the book “Moose” by Stephanie Klein. It’s her memoir of all her summers at fat camp and like you said about the show, a lot of it focuses on the woes of being a teen, alongside the actual weightloss. AND if you like that book, she has another AWESOME memoir about being a single girl, “Straight Up and Dirty” :).

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

35 Lauren @ Running Examiner July 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

Just wanted to second the “Moose” recommendation–it’s a great book!

36 atastelife July 14, 2010 at 8:28 am

oh man. another random sweet potato dinner i have to try.

37 Rosey Rebecca July 14, 2010 at 8:36 am

Your sweet potato pizza looks so yummy! I went to a day camp, not a sleep away camp. I was a camp counselor for the same camp when I got older, too. It was weird and fun!

38 pinkflipflops July 14, 2010 at 8:39 am

Loved bug juice, love Huge and love Pretty Little Liars as well as secret life of the american teenager..

would you mind explaining how you made the sweet potato pizza? i want to try it but would like to know how you made it.. thanks..

39 Nicole July 14, 2010 at 8:57 am

I went to that same camp, I think! Too funny. It was really awesome.

40 Sarah July 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

I’m watching Huge too…I’m really enjoying it mainly for the reasons you said that they’re not making it all about weight loss. I went to summer camp once for a week with one of my friends. It was your basic activities kind of camp. At first, I was so homesick but by the end I had a great time!

41 Katrina July 14, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I’ve been hooked on sweet potatoes lately (namely of the PB&J variety). The next one I get my hands on will die a pizza-y death!

42 Leanne July 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I mostly went to sports focused camps as a kid but I loved them although always wondered what a traditional camp was like

43 amanda July 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm

i love a good sweet potato!

never went to camp, but i always wanted to. since my mom is a teacher, we always had her home with us in the summer. i felt very envious of my school friends making new camp friends. pshh.

and eh, i ADORED bug juice. in fact, i often catch myself watching episodes on youtube. and i’ve even googled searched the campers. yup, i’m a little ridiculous. but come on, connor was super cute-i needed to see what he has been up to!