Eating Down My Pantry Week

by Meghann on July 13, 2010

Yesterday I proclaimed this week ‘No Eating Out Week’ and after realizing I’m not going to have time to run to the grocery store before this weekend, I’ve decided to also proclaim this week ‘Eat Down My Pantry Week.’

What do you think? I think by initiating each of those proclamations not only will I be saving my wallet, but I will also be forcing myself to be creative.

Take today’s lunch for example…

IMG_1713

I had frozen sprouted hot dog buns in the freezer that have been overlooked for a while now, but thanks to limited options in the fridge I dug one out of the freezer – as well as the last of my beef-less beef tips – and  created a Beef-Lee BBQ Sandwich for lunch. The whole thing took two minutes – 15 seconds to defrost the buns, 30 seconds to defrost the beef-less tips, 1 minute to cook the tips on the stove with bbq sauce, and 15 seconds to finish it all with tomato wedges.

IMG_1717

Now, my side item was where I got creative.

IMG_1718

Reduced Salt Fritos

IMG_1719

A homemade dip of ricotta cheese, seasonings, and salsa.

IMG_1720

What can I say? It sounded good in my head – almost like sour cream and salsa.

IMG_1723

Ok, so it wasn’t the same as sour cream & salsa at all. It was ok, but I wouldn’t suggest replicating. 😉

My snack this morning consisted of a cheese stick and Annie’s gummy bunnies.

IMG_1712

On my way back to work after lunch I stopped to cash some scratch off tickets and buy a Perrier with said scratch off money. When I handed the tickets over the cashier looked at the tickets, then looked at me, and politely asked for my ID. After checking my age she said I look younger then what I am. That made me smile. 🙂

I could pull off being a 17 year old right?

I told my co-worker this and she laughed. Apparently she doesn’t believe I could pull of being 17. There goes that dream. Oh well

1 Evan Thomas July 13, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I think eating out the pantry is a great idea. This week I’ve just started going through old foods we have in there and pulling out anything with gluten i can’t have to give away or shove out. I definitely want to dig through all that and hopefully save money on groceries in the meanwhile

2 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Ahhh I did this when I moved and it was fun at first but at some point, I was just missing a big as my head salad full of veggies!

The fun part is: What are those frozen leftovers hehe!

3 lowandbhold July 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I’m implementing an eat through my pantry week too, but I literally have no food so it’s not going too well, haha. That beefless sandwich looks pretty good!

4 Sara July 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I went out for drinks last weekend with my twin sister and our friend. We all got carded. And we’re all 31! We were told we look much younger than we are. Fine by us! 🙂

5 Courtney @ Three Months July 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm

What a creative lunch – looks good!

6 Amy @ Second City Randomness July 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Slimming down the pantry is such a pain sometimes… and I always wonder when I do it, “where did this food come from?!?!”

7 kaztronomic July 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm

That’s funny, that you were carded! 😀 I’d be all sorts of flattered if I got carded. Heh.

Your ricotta/salsa combo sounds like it would’ve been tasty! Sorry it was a bust. x)

8 Maria July 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I get comments all the time that I look to be 14-15 years old. I’m 25.

9 britchickruns July 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Cute lunch!
Haha I heard about a GRAN over here who got asked for ID!? And one of my friends got ID’d trying to buy a plastic spoon! They are so silly sometimes :s

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I ALWAYS get carded when I go to the US. It never fails.

11 Emily @ Relishments July 13, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I’m constantly being told I look really young (I’m 25). This can be especially awkward because I teach high school. Best story: I was attending the Freshman Class Supper at the school I was working at a couple years ago and the mother of one of the kids approached me and asked if the dinner was to raise money for my class. I was shocked (I wasn’t dressed like a kid!) and she was really embarrassed when I told her I was a teacher, not a student. Glad to see I’m not alone!

12 Sarah for Real July 13, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Annie’s Gummy Bunnies!? I’m SO excited!! I must find those!

13 missyrayn July 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I’m trying to do this with most of my stuff. Although I desperately need yogurt and almond milk. Those may be my only purchases this week.

14 Sarah July 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I have eat up the pantry weeks quite often, and I found I actually enjoy the creativity they require. Your combos are usually creative, so I hope you’re still enjoying your challenge!

15 Allie July 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm

every once and a while i eat down the pantry- i love starting fresh! that side- um, kind of questionable! ha!

16 Anna (twelve22) July 13, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Hey, I’m starting a stint of eating down MY pantry! I signed up for another race on a whim, so I made myself swear to spend less on groceries for a while. I actually made a list of everything in the freezer/cupboards/fridge, so I can look at the big picture and see what meals I’ll be able to make with what I’ve got.

17 Rosey Rebecca July 13, 2010 at 4:40 pm

People think I’m younger than I am all the time! Congrats for winning some money!

18 hundredtenpounds July 13, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I need to do this. Our pantry is out of control. With the kitchen remodel it is much more apparent because we have no doors on the pantry. 🙂

19 Jayce July 13, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I always get carded. Also, I am a nurse and most of my patients are elderly. I am asked how old I am on a regular basis, and when I tell them I am 25 they say, “You look about 16!” I will appreciate it one day, I guess.

20 amanda July 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm

it gets difficult creating meals out of the already placed items in the cabinets. i commend you on your attempts! the ricotta and salsa dip actually sounds enticing to me. i’m a weirdo, what can i say.

21 sarah July 13, 2010 at 6:41 pm

i was at dinner with my parents and family friends sat night and ordered a glass of wine…the waitress asked if i was old enough (i am 25) and when i told her yes she said i don’t look older than 16! o well guess it is better than looking 35!:)

22 breakingsilence July 13, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I once had someone at my part time job tell me I didn’t look old enough to drive, let alone work! I was like,”Um, really? I’m in college. Should I laugh or be offended?”

23 runningaroundnormal July 13, 2010 at 7:10 pm

i love being told I look younger than I am! Doesn’t happen often though

24 theprocessofhealing July 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I’m 22 and people think sometimes that I’m like 16.. it gets old!

25 Lisa @bakebikeblog July 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

haha I used to get asked for ID up until 24!!!

26 Jenna July 13, 2010 at 8:01 pm

My good friend recently went to a Phillies game and received a free bat at the door. She thought it was a special “ladies night” promotion. She later found out it was for children 14 and younger. My friend is turning 23 in September. Fun story, plus she got a free bat out of the deal!

27 Krystina July 13, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Those beefless tips look great. I need to try those.

28 Dione July 13, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I hate eating down my pantry. Usually I wait until the husband is gone and toss anything that has been in there too long. That’s how I eat down my pantry! LOL.

29 Fervent Foodie July 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I like this eatin down the pantry idea! Sometimes when I’m broke I go “freezer diving” ( like dumpster diving only more much sanitary and way more rewarding 🙂 )