South Beach

by Meghann on July 11, 2010

Once again I was surrounded by the future doctor’s of America last night, but I didn’t mind – I’ve actually been enjoying it!

Med students actually have great stories regarding patients with funky diseases, absurd attitudes, and odd looking abnormalities. It’s also insane to hear about their crazy work/ study schedules. I’m not sure I could go 72 hours being on call and never having a chance to sleep, but somehow they all manage to survive! My brother doesn’t drink coffee or red bull either, I’m not sure how he does it!

In celebration of Adena’s birthday said group of future doctors – some already doctors – and myself gathered at World Resource Cafe for food, drinks, and fun last night.

World Resource Cafe is a trendy asian inspired cafe with a menu emphasizing sushi and thai food. I know – I thought it was an odd combo too.

They have a great funky drink list, but I’m not a fan of funky drinks. I preferred to enjoy a glass of malbec with my meal.

IMG_9586.jpg

At first we were served bowls of edamame which we didn’t order, but all took a couple of anyways.

Than the server realized the mistake and brought the bowl to the proper tables, which I thought was odd considering we already had our hand in it. Ew.

Josh, Adena, and I decided to split a few dishes for our meal.

We started with the roasted artichoke.

The sauces were good, but the artichoke itself was too chewy and bland with out the sauces.

For our entrees we split the chicken pad thai..

Chicken Massaman Curry

And Rice.

My plate.

I really liked the Massaman Curry. It had a milder flavor than other currys, but I thought the avocado and potatoes gave the dish a creamy touch in juxtaposition to the crunchy cashews.

Happy Birthday Adena!

I stole a few bites. It was delicious. πŸ™‚

After dinner the rest of the night was ours.

Basically…

I came. I South Beached. Party Pooped.

I think the older I get the more I realize loud clubs with outrageously priced drinks and music I don’t recognize just aren’t my thing. I tried really hard to get into the whole experience, but I was tired and filled with anxiety from being in such a dark, tight space. Gone was out going, fun Meghann and in came party pooper Meghann who wanted to go home as soon as she walked in the door.

I prefer laid back bars with a quiet atmosphere and good beer (I’m not a big liquor fan). Every once in a while I love to go out and dance the night away, but for some reason I just wasn’t feeling it last night. I thought South Beach would pull it out of me, but it didn’t.

I missed Derek.

So, at 1:30 I pleaded with my brother to take me home. I felt awful, but I just couldn’t take it anymore. I felt so bad because Adena and Josh looked like they were having a blast and would have just have happily curled in a ball to sleep, but I fear that would have looked funny.

This morning I was able to sleep in until 8:00 – woo hoo – and had some granola and yogurt with my brother.

• One whole peach
  • Peach chobani
  • Granola
  • Honey Peanut Butter

And then I had a piece of unpictured cheese that threw my tastebuds for a loop. Yuck.

Apparently Adena runs with the high rollers because she has a friend that is taking us out on their yacht today. What screams Miami more than a private yacht? Yep, I thought so.

No I just need to put on my bling, bling and glamorous wide brim hat – it’s time to see how the other half lives. πŸ˜‰

1 Chasing the Now July 11, 2010 at 9:13 am

I definitely understand the whole “I used to think this was fun” attitude. We went out with some friends last night for karaoke and drinks. It was a lot of fun, but I was tired and really kind of wanted to just go to bed.

I bet your run yesterday morning didn’t help. Your body was probably straight up worn out.

2 christina cadden July 11, 2010 at 9:36 am

Love all the pictures! Looks like a fun time!

3 runningwithsass July 11, 2010 at 9:43 am

dont feel bad. I am so not a partier. I would rather sit home and watch a movie. I feel old!

4 Bridget July 11, 2010 at 9:58 am

I used to enjoy a good party or club, but not anymore. I don’t know if it’s Tokyo (where covers range from 30 to 60 dollars at most places), or just that I’m old. Hmm…let’s say a combination of both! πŸ˜›

The artichoke sounds like it must have been old or had been picked after a frost. It’s an odd food to have at a Japanese/Thai restaurant–few people in Japan know artichokes, and I sure didn’t see them in Thailand! Glad that you had a good time, nonetheless! And, 72 hours on call would be NUTS. Glad that they are the future of medicine in our country!

5 Rosey Rebecca July 11, 2010 at 10:00 am

I’m not into loud, packed clubs either. There’s a quiet bar near my apartment with a two-page beer menu. That’s my type of place.

6 Julie @ Pickley Pear July 11, 2010 at 10:07 am

You dinner looks great, so unique. That’s what I love about Miami – very eclectic and different! I’m totally like you about the whole Club scene and $10 drinks. I’m not sure I would have made it till 1:30! Have a blast today on the yacht – maybe you’ll see famous people!

7 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) July 11, 2010 at 10:35 am

I just wanted to say that your hair looks absolutely gorgeous in that picture! I love the color. You may have been tired but your hair could’ve kept going all night, LOL.

8 thefitbridesmaid July 11, 2010 at 11:06 am

They still served the edamame to other people? That’s like against some health codes, no?
Yeah, I’m with you on the club scene. Especially being out of college and in a serious relationship (when you significant other isn’t there), it’s just not my scene any more. It makes me kind of sad, because I remember having a blast in college, but now I’d rather rock out to normal, classic music, drink with friends, and chat it up.

9 Jen July 11, 2010 at 11:28 am

I’m with you – it’s tough to go out and party as an athlete. You just have a different lifestyle. No need to feel bad…

10 Mandy A July 11, 2010 at 11:36 am

Another one who is with you on the club scene! I feel so old now… I’m only 30 πŸ™‚ But it’s just not my thing! I love hanging with my friends but would rather go somewhere low key or even have a pizza/movie/wine night at the house or somewhere we can hear each other! And of course, a dance party can happen at home just as easily as a club πŸ™‚

Breakfast looks yummy!!!

11 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 11, 2010 at 11:48 am

Yep, I prefer a nice relaxing bar over a club any day! Looks like you’re having a blast in Miami and the yacht – so cliche it’s funny!! Have a blast.

12 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife July 11, 2010 at 11:50 am

I always feel the same way hanging out with all of Hubby’s dentist friends. It’s not exactly the same, but they’re more hardcore than I am–especially the specialists.

I feel the same way about “going out”. Ever since I finished my undergrad and got serious with hubby, I had much less desire to just go out to drink. I like to go to a piano bar and have a beer, or hear good music or salsa dance, but after about 2 drinks I”m affected big time the next day.

Honestly, I don’t know how I did it all. the. time. in college.

13 Alexis @ Mission: Ambition July 11, 2010 at 11:57 am

I definitely feel the same way – going out isn’t quite the same as it was in college. I went out to a concert last night and while I loved the concert, the atmosphere wasn’t as exciting as it used to be.

Still cool that you got to go out in South Beach though πŸ™‚ Enjoy the yacht – that sounds awesome!

14 Rachael July 11, 2010 at 11:59 am

Epic dessert.
I went to South Beach last year en route to the Everglades. Didn’t do the club scene, but I did drink my weight in margaritas (and then passed out at the hostel where I was staying). Loved the beach and the walkability – ’twas a nice surprise, as I thought I was vehemently anti-Miami πŸ™‚
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

15 Lee July 11, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I used to party til the wee hours of the night. Not so much anymore. We’ve been on vacation all week and I’ve been in bed by 10 every night, sometimes even earlier!

16 Kristen July 11, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I hear you, I’m over ate-night loud and smoky clubs.
Maybe 1-2 times a year, I’ll go with the girls for drinks and dancing to get my fix. But relaxed bars where it’s not all about who has on the latest fashions, and I can just chill and be myself.

I can only images how crazy the nightlife must be in South Beach!

17 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) July 11, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I’m not much of a club person myself. It’s a shame since that’s what most people in Miami like to do on weekends. Enjoy the rest of your trip! πŸ™‚

18 Tami July 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm

that’s very gross that they took that plate and gave it to the other table. i go to bed at 830pm most nights, 9 is staying up “late” now….

19 Emilyeatsclean July 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Rarely do I want to go out either. And by about 1 a.m., I’m exhausted and more than ready to go home too! Don’t feel bad. Enjoy the rest of your South Beach experience!! πŸ™‚

20 kaztronomic July 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm

That restaurant was just gross to bring that other table already-grazed-upon edamame. Ew.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy yourself. I’m the same way. Loud music, cramped spaces, too many people…ugh. It would give me so much anxiety. I would’ve begged out, too.

21 runningaroundnormal July 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I’m the same way anymore. I like hole-in-the wall laid back pubs compared to dark, crowded, loud clubs. I’m lame! :-p

22 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. July 11, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I work for a medical school and interact with the students all the time, so I totally can relate to your thinking! They do have some awesome stories, that’s for sure!

23 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness July 11, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Clubbing can be fun but you definitely have to be in the right mood. I always need to take a nap before getting ready, and then have coffee (almost like I were waking up again). Good for you for sticking it out until 1:30! That’s a pretty late night.

24 Diana@mymarblerye July 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Don’t worry! I’m an old lady too! Next time take a cab or bring Derek! Btw my med school bf would love to hang out with your brother and talk about abscesses! Jk! Enjoy the yacht! πŸ™‚

25 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 11, 2010 at 6:00 pm

ooooh have fun on the yacht!! WHat fun!!!!

26 Faith July 11, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Ew! I can’t believe they brought the edamame over to the other table after yours. I’m not a germaphobe by any means but if I was on the receiving end of that, I’d have been grossed out.

You definitely have to be in the right mood for clubbing. I still love a good bar or party but I also love curling up in bed with coffee and a movie, and if I’ve got my heart set on the latter, I won’t be much fun if I get dragged out. I guess that’s one thing I learned last year in university!

27 missyrayn July 11, 2010 at 7:08 pm

ooooo Fun!

I was never into the clubs and only went out twice while in Spain in college. I much preferred the sangria bars. So I’m right with you.

28 Mary @ Fervent Foodie July 11, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I completely feel you on the feeling like a party pooper. I would much rather get a group together to hang out for a low-key night than hit up the dance bars… To each her own though πŸ™‚

And that is absolutely disgusting about the edamame!

29 Sasha July 11, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I definitely prefer having a quiet beer. That’s why I like Denver, there are so many bars and you can avoid crowds. πŸ˜‰ I would not have been able to even make it until 1 : 30.

30 theprocessofhealing July 11, 2010 at 8:22 pm

What a fun night! The pad thai looks soo good!

31 Carolyn@lovinlosing July 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I’m totally with you on the part pooper bit. I’m going to Vegas in 4 weeks with some girlfriends and I’m going to try really hard not to be the “old woman.” πŸ˜‰

32 Stephanie July 11, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I was just in South Beach and had so much fun. I was never into the club scene when I was younger but my girlfriends and I are all 30 and recently single and needed a few drinks LOL. I think the club scene was a nice little escape from reality haha. Although the $22 red bull and vodka I encountered was not fun.

33 emily July 11, 2010 at 9:45 pm

It’s funny to hear someone else talk about being surrounded my future doctors; my husband is in med school and when we go out with his friends I’m the dumbest person at the table but I can ask silly science questions to my heart’s content! πŸ™‚