more ยป" />

Miami from a Boat

by Meghann on July 11, 2010

Want to hear a genius idea?

It’s called a boat club.

You see members of a boat club pay monthly fees that grant them the ability to check boats out anytime they want. Just call ahead and the club will have a boat waiting for you full of gas and freshly washed. Basically it’s all the privilege of owning a boat without all the upkeep or hassle. Genius, no?

Adena’s friend just happened to be a member of one of these genius boat clubs and arranged for a group to take one out for the morning. Score!

What more perfect way to send my weekend in Miami then out in the water? I have to say, Miami from a boat pretty much rocks!

IMG_9651.jpg

Photo shoot? Famous model? Someone important?

HA! Doubt it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We cruised along the intercoastal waterway house hunting for Lebron James on star island along the way. I think the place next to Ricky Martin’s house was vacant. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Chips and salsa were consumed by all.

As well as grapes and fresh watermelon.

IMG_9655.jpg

Eventually we found an area to toss the anchor in and cool off in the water.

The area had floating hot dog and hamburger stands where patrons in the water could purchase food without having to leave the water! And if the boat was too far for you they had a delivery kayak that could take your order and bring the food back. Pretty crazy, right?

As tempting as the delivery kayak was, we decided docking at a fun bar off the shore was a better one. ๐Ÿ™‚

I found it amusing a restaurant named Shuckers that is set on the water isn’t known for their oysters, but instead for their wings!

I’m not a big fan of regular wings, but I did try a bite or two of my brother’s grilled wings and these were really good! The wings themselves were huge and grilled to perfection. They were juicy and I enjoyed the fact they were sauceless and not fried.

My heart was set on a refreshing salad for lunch, so I decided to order the Blacked Mahi Mahi Salad.

It was ok. The Mahi Mahi was tough and resembled chicken. I actually thought it was chicken when it was first laid in front of me, but it flaked apart to the touch of my fork confirming it as fish. I still ate it and enjoyed it, but it didn’t knock my socks off or anything. I should have stuck with grilled wings. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After lunch it was time to head home and leave the beautiful ocean behind. Bye bye ocean! I hope to see you again soon!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a blast in Miami this weekend!

From South Beach to the Spa to the morning on the boat, I think I’ve had the full Miami experience! This was also my first visit to Miami where it hasn’t rained! Miami is sooo much more fun when it’s sunny and pretty as opposed to rainy and cloudy. Much, Much more fun. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The usual 4 hour drive back to Orlando took a little longer than normal this afternoon thanks to…

a) stopping for a mini power nap and caffeine

b) stopping for gas and peeing

3) stopping to check the oil and radiator after hearing funny noises from the engine

4) stopping for food

By the end i just wanted to be home. Thank goodness I’m staying put at home for the next month or so. Not having to travel anywhere is going to be AWESOME!!!!

Food from the road…

Apple

Turkey, Bacon, & Avocado Sandwich from Earl of Sandwich.

Driving on the turnpike is tough because you have to pay a toll to get off the road and to get back on. You are pretty much stuck eating whatever the travel plazas along the way have to offer, unless you want to pay $$ in search of food. Luckily, the choices weren’t bad at each plaza. It was refreshing to have the option of Earl of Sandwich and Nature’s Table as opposed to simply Burger King and McDonalds.

A piece of Amanda’s Patriotic Blondie.

I also listened to Eat Love Pray along the way and – you guys were right – the section where she in in India is so not as fun as the one in Italy. I’m pretty sure the India section was helping in my quest to stay awake at all. And if I were reading the book – and not just listening to it – those would have been the parts I skimmed. I managed to get through it and am now in Bahli. I instantly knew this next section was going to be a keeper when I was back to wanting to visit the place she was describing.

Anyone else up for a trip to Bahli? Anyone?

Just as long as we don’t go in the next month, the next month I am calling off limits for traveling. Got it? Good. ๐Ÿ™‚

And with that another weekend has come to an end.

Good night!

1 runningwithsass July 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm

that is too funny about getting burgers and other food from the boats in the water. I have never heard of that! glad you had a fun w/e.

2 Molly @fuelherup July 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Bali! I actually liked the India part, but Bali and Italy were a tiny bit better ๐Ÿ˜‰

3 sarah July 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I finished that book a few weeks ago. I wasn’t up for India, either. But it did remind me that real people do “crazy” things like see the world…even if they have to go alone! I get kind of hung up on doing what is responsible, what keeps my mom from freaking out (I’m small! I was a preemie! I might die! She’s completely irrational…), and what people expect me to do. But thanks to that book I’ve been researching Australia! I just might fulfill my lifelong dream of going there ASAP…maybe spend a month as a volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary and then do a tour?! It all depends if I can get a new job offer pending….Ohio State is so slow so I could put in notice at my current job, go off to Australia for the biggest adventure of my 31 years, and then come back to a new challenge to add to my resume. ๐Ÿ™‚ Bali and Europe are on my “one day” list too…

4 Katie @ LifeDiscombobulated July 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I have BEEN to Bali!!! It was absolutely beautiful and I’d go back in a heartbeat. How amazing would that be to live in a little bungalow with a garden in BALI??? She was one lucky woman! ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Em July 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm

But the India part is the deep part of the book! She figures her sh*t out. You need to reread it and see without the “pray” there would be no love.

6 missyrayn July 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Grilled wings sound great. But such a funny dish for a place called Shuckers.

7 Brynne July 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm

The boat club idea is so cool! I’ve never heard of that before. One of my goals in life is to have a boat, but that’s such a great first step .. for you know, when I have money. In 10,000 years. So funny that they have floating food too!

8 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 11, 2010 at 11:04 pm

“floating hot dog and hamburger stands “….now I have heard of everything! how brilliant!!!

9 Cammy@ClassroomConfessions July 11, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I cannot tell you how weird it is to see pics of you on this boat, at this boat club, when I spend nearly every single weekend at the same boat club and was on that exact boat last weekend! Crazy small world! My boyfriend is a member of the boat club and it rocks my socks. We go out all the time. Glad to see you had fun!

10 theprocessofhealing July 11, 2010 at 11:34 pm

That’s so cool about the boat club!!

11 kaztronomic July 12, 2010 at 12:09 am

Hah, those floating/delivery burger stands sound like something else. ๐Ÿ˜€

I love to travel, but I’m sure after all the miles you’ve covered as of late, it’s so nice to be home again. =)

12 Melissa @ For the Love of Health July 12, 2010 at 12:15 am

Looks like a fantastic weekend in Miami! Love Miami!

13 Heather July 12, 2010 at 12:44 am

Those wings look amazing, totally inspired to get some grilled up now!

And a day on the boat rocks, looks like so much fun!

14 suzie franklin July 12, 2010 at 1:20 am

I’m working on planning a trip to Bali right now for next year.

15 biz319 July 12, 2010 at 8:37 am

What a great idea of a boat club! Never heard of that before. Glad you had a great weekend Meghann!

16 Duchessoffork July 12, 2010 at 8:57 am

We went to Miami in April for our anniversary and rented a boat one day. It was so much fun! Seeing all of those gorgeous condos from the water is much different than seeing them from the road. Looks like yall had fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 12, 2010 at 9:05 am

Umm can I move to Florida?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

18 Rosey Rebecca July 12, 2010 at 9:10 am

I’m going to become a member of a boat club right away! Well, when I have the money, that is. Sounds like such an awesome day!

Glad you found some good road food. I’m always annoyed that mcdonalds is usually the only option at rest stops.

19 Brittney July 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

I also did Miami by boat a couple years ago! I would say that was my favorite part of my trip. The water is so gorgeous there- with the aqua color, and the sky-line of Miami looks really cool from the boat. I’d say that’s a must-do when in Miami if you can swing it!

20 Karen July 12, 2010 at 10:08 am

Have been to Bali. Amazing!! Especially the hot guys surfing.

21 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com July 12, 2010 at 10:11 am

Sounds like a great weekend! I really need to check out Eat, Pray, Love. I had a raod trip this weekend, up to Northern Virginia for my first Traithlon!!

22 Amy @ EdibleAmy July 12, 2010 at 10:31 am

Looks like you had a blast in Miami! I definitely agree with the India part of Eat, Pray, Love being a bit of a snooze compared to Italy. Reading the description of the fresh pizza was my favorite part of the entire book!

23 Jenna July 12, 2010 at 11:37 am