more ยป" />

Sun, Heat, and Humidity

by Meghann on July 10, 2010

Now, let me start off by saying running 12 miles at 7:00am in the dead of summer in Miami, Florida may not have been the best idea I have ever had.

It was HOT. It was SUNNY. And boy, oh boy was it HUMID.

I was suppose to run the 12 miles at a 9:05 pace, but that was clearly not happening in those above conditions. My new goal was to survive and I just happened to get lucky to survive with a 9:30 pace.

I took off on my run around my brother’s place early this morning. I’m not very familiar with the are, so I stuck with a boring route along the street that basically gave me a 6 miles out and back approach. I tried my hardest to stay in the shade and ended up having to stop in both a Burger King and McDonalds to fill my water bottle on two seperate occasions.

Around mile 11 I was running through a construction area and just happened to crash and burn right in front of a police officer. Doh! I had 3 construction workers and the policeman all run to my aide before I even had a chance to get up. I kept telling them “I’m alright. I only have one mile left, please let me finish that last mile.”

I ended up with a few scrapes on my legs and hands, but nothing minor.

With less than half a mile to go I called my brother and had him and Maddie meet me downstairs for breakfast. I am very jealous that my brother is within walking distance of a decent amount of cute little cafe and I didn’t want to waste time showering before breakfast.

We walked a couple of blocks to a cute french cafe called Bon Bon.

I was thrilled when the owner said Maddie was allowed inside. Three cheers for AC!!

I immediately ordered a small orange juice when we were seated. I think my body needed it.

The breakfast menu was short and sweet.

My brother ordered the crustless quiche of the and which was light, fluffy and served with a side salad.

I decided to think outside the box and order the Mediterranean Breakfast Platter which came with an assortment of meats, cheeses, veggies, and bread.

It was all amazing. I ended up slathering the thick toast with jam and topping it with the egg and cheeses. Delicious!

Of course it was way to much and I barely made a dent in it.

I hope my brother enjoys the left overs!

Spa time!! Yippeee!!!

1 britchickruns July 10, 2010 at 11:12 am

oooff so many miles in such heat!! I admire you SO much – I couldn’t have done that! You deserved a medal girl ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 10, 2010 at 11:14 am

That breakfast sounds delicious!!! But I don’t know how you ran in those conditions… wow..

3 sweetandsweat July 10, 2010 at 11:16 am

Wow that breakfast looks so good! I have a question (since I’m also training for a half marathon and marathon): Do you eat before your long runs? I’m experimenting on what works but I have noo idea what to do!

4 missyrayn July 10, 2010 at 11:25 am

You Florida girls run in heat I don’t even walk in. Amazing!

How nice of the owner to let you bring Maddie in ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Rosey Rebecca July 10, 2010 at 11:27 am

Kudos to you for keeping up with your run in the heat. I hope you’re ok from the fall. That’s funny that you basically had to beg the police officer and the construction workers to let you continue running. I love cute little cafes. I love being within walking distance to them even more!

6 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 10, 2010 at 11:30 am

You are BRAVE for going out in that heat! Sorry to hear about your fall, but glad you got up and the copper let you finish that last mile. haha!

7 Run Sarah July 10, 2010 at 11:57 am

Glad you were okay in the heat – I can’t even be outside in that kind of weather, this Canadian girl just can’t take it! That breakfast platter looks so unique – looks like it’d be fun to copy for a family brunch!

8 kaztronomic July 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Oh no, sorry you wiped out in front of all those people! I’m glad you were able to finish strong. ๐Ÿ˜€

Enjoy your day!

9 pursuitofhealthfulness July 10, 2010 at 12:33 pm

No “minor injuries?” Wow, what a way to start the day. I think you deserve the spa, for sure!

10 Ada July 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Wow, I don’t know how you ran that many miles in the summer heat! I ran the Miami Half Marathon in January and it was bad enough then!

It’s so cool that your brother goes to med school in Miami, that is my absolute dream!

11 Julie @ Pickley Pear July 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm

You may be a little nutty to run 12 miles in that heat!! jk ๐Ÿ™‚ The quiche looks fab – I never make it but do order it occasionally!

12 Emilyeatsclean July 10, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Don’t you just love those falls in the middle of a run?!?! So embarrassing! Glad you’re okay and congrats on finishing the run in those conditions!!

13 runningwithsass July 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm

good job on the 12! I dont know how you did it, I did 3 this morning and thought I would die!

14 newleafeats July 10, 2010 at 5:24 pm

That breakfast menu looks great! I’m a sucker for anything “Mediterranean.” ๐Ÿ™‚

15 BroccoliHut July 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Love the Maddie pics!! Let me know if you ever need a dog-sitter:)

16 Kelly Olexa July 11, 2010 at 6:54 pm

OMG Miami is my FAVORITE place in this country. I’m actually planning a return loooonnngg weekend there next month. There is this one Jewish deli that has AMAZING food right as you leave Collins Ave- used to be Arnie & Richies…I forget the new name. Heaven. Best Turkey Rueban EVER!!!
Your run sounds like a killer!! I just now started running so I’m in awe of people like you, I dream of going that long of a distance in the future!!
Keep it up, be safe!! ๐Ÿ˜‰