Not a Swimmer

by Meghann on July 9, 2010

Good Morning!

Whose ready for a weekend at the spa? I am! But, first just a few more hours of work!

I hit the pool this morning in an attempt to continue my so-called training for this triathlon I swear I’m still signed up for next weekend. Yeah, I think I’m about enthused about it as I sound. I just feel like every time I say I’m going to swim, I wake up absolutely dreading it.

For some reason I can handle Lucky Lake – where I’m surrounded by a hundred or so of my closest swimming buddies in a big open lake – but the idea of getting in a cold pool all by lonesome is not as appealing. I just plain don’t like getting wet in the morning (I even dread showers every morning, actually I hate taking showers period)  and swimming is just so boring for me in a pool! Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. No matter what type of work out I try to work into my swim I can’t seem to grasp it. I really, really want to like swimming too! Booo… 🙁

Anyways… I did swim and I survived. I only had 45 minutes and managed to get in 750 m free style, 250 m with the kickboard, 250 m with the buoy, and 250 m breast stroke.

Not bad, not bad.

Breakfast was consumed at my desk after showering (yes, I hate showering, but I do still manage to talk myself into them 😉 )

IMG_1566

I really wanted apple slices with almond butter, but hate how slices brown when you cut them too early.

IMG_1570

I fixed that problem by bringing my handy dandy apple slicer.

IMG_1572

Unfortunately, my apple was a little too big for said slicer. 🙁

IMG_1574

No need to worry. I was able to think fast on my feet and gave the apple a little shave to make it fit.

IMG_1576

Now, that’s what I’m talking about. 😉

IMG_1588

With my apple and almond butter I brought some granola and Fage that I had added a dollop of preserves to the night before.

IMG_1580

IMG_1583

IMG_1584

I recently downloaded the audiobook for Eat Pray Love to listen to on my long drive to Miami this weekend.

I know I’ve mentioned this on here before, but I’m one of those people who sees a preview for a new movie coming out and immediately has to read  the book before seeing the movie. I’m also one of those people who sees a movie based on a book and will immediately go out and read the book after already seeing the movie (this is actually how my Twilight obsession began 😉 ). Nevermind I had no interest in reading the book before seeing the movie preview for it or the movie. 😉

Anyways, I’m already a couple of hours into the book and I love it! The author has such a way with words and each chapter has left me starving for more. On the way into work this morning the author had just consumed the best pizza she had ever eaten in Naples and her description of the bubbly cheese and thin yet chewy crust really had me craving pizza at 8:00 am this morning. Now I feel like I can not continue living until I try that pizzeria in Naples, Italy. Maybe one day…

My point? If you haven’t read the book, then read it! It’s worth it! 🙂

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 9, 2010 at 9:43 am

I haven’t read that one but I’ve heard mixed reviews. some good, some bad. I’m really more interested in reading Elizabeth Gilbert’s new book Committed.

2 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 9, 2010 at 9:44 am

I do the same thing- I HAVE to read the book 🙂 All I wanted after reading Eat, Pray, Love was pizza (and a trip to Italy…). It kinda went downhill after the “Eat” section for me though 😉

3 Amanda July 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

I agree with Heather – Eat was the best chapter.

4 Maria July 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I agree, the “Eat” section was the best. The first part left me thinking that the rest of the book was going to as amazing as the last 2 parts, and I was overall disappointed. Although, I did enjoy the overall message of the book.

5 Courtney @ Three Months July 9, 2010 at 9:46 am

I’ve been meaning to read that book for SO LONG…I feel everyone has read it by this point!!

6 Carolyn @ lovinlosing July 9, 2010 at 9:47 am

I’ve heard great things about that book. I’m gonna have to try it out.

7 Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 9, 2010 at 9:47 am

I totally can’t read the book AFTER the movie, it has to be before or there’s no chance I’ll read it

8 katie didit July 9, 2010 at 9:51 am

Where do you download your audio books? I need to get a good one (or two) for a 11 hour drive I’ve got coming up! I don’t want it to cost a fortune!

9 Meghann July 9, 2010 at 9:57 am

I ordered it from iTunes, but I’ll admit it wasn’t cheap.

10 runnerstrials July 9, 2010 at 9:53 am

Swimming is my achilles heel of triathlon training, too. Especially in the pool. I don’t know why but pool swimming grosses me out and makes me feel nauseous. You got in a great workout though!

11 biz319 July 9, 2010 at 9:58 am

Swimming was my worst event when I did a tri. The look on my husband’s face when I got out of the lake was priceless though – he could finally relax! 😀

12 Shelly@campinggirlchronicals July 9, 2010 at 10:07 am

I am also someone who has to read the book before the movie. I am in the midst of reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo so that I can watch the movies.
I enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love as well and can’t wait to see Julia Roberts portayal.

13 Kristen July 9, 2010 at 10:07 am

LOVE that book! In fact, I’m almost finished with her recently released book “Committed”. It’s good too and a sequel to Eat, Pray, Love.

14 Brittney July 9, 2010 at 10:19 am

I’m the same way about a lot of movies based on books. I get the book and quickly try to read it before seeing the movie (Twilight, Time Traveler’s Wife, My Sister’s Keeper…). I am reading Eat, Pray, Love, right now too because I want to see the movie. I JUST got past that part with the really really good pizza too. YUM 🙂

15 sunnytropic July 9, 2010 at 10:20 am

MMM apples with nut butter are one of my favorite snacks!

I am the total opposite of you when it comes to showers/baths. I usually take 2/day…one after the gym in the morning and one before bed at night. I hate washing my face in the sink so that’s the main reason I also shower at night. Only wash my hair in the AM though! It’s also fun to do spa treatment type things at night – face scrubs & masks, exfoliating & shaving etc…

16 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 9, 2010 at 10:21 am

I’m way more interested in seeing Javier Bardem on screen than reading the book, but I will do too … heheheh!!

Never did the whole “listenning” to a book before. Interesting idea for a long drive!

17 Jocelyn July 9, 2010 at 10:23 am

I have read the book! Last year! It is sooo good. I am so stoked that Julia Roberts is leading in the movie! 🙂

18 vm July 9, 2010 at 10:25 am

whose ready = who is or who’s?

19 carly July 9, 2010 at 10:28 am

I am the same way about books and movies. I really enjoy “Eat, Pray, Love,” but on one hand it’s also irritating. She was paid to go on that journey of self-discovery. Keeping that in the back of my mind has always kind of ruined the experience for me, although like I said, I still enjoy reading about her adventures.

20 Rosey Rebecca July 9, 2010 at 10:35 am

The apple slicer thing is hilarious. I’ve wanted to read that book for a while. I think you just talked me into it!

21 Erin July 9, 2010 at 10:38 am

You must have a baby apple slicer!

I dislike swimming for multiple reasons, so I’m planning to stick to duathlons. Just biking and running please! Are there any of those near you? They’re not as prevalent as triathlons, sadly.

And I’ll always read the book rather than seeing the movie if I have the option.

22 Claudia July 9, 2010 at 10:39 am

I read this book last summer and LOVED it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 🙂 I am now reading her newest book, Committed, and it’s just as good. Can’t wait for the movie!! Your breakfast looks delish.

23 Chelsea @ Run the Line July 9, 2010 at 10:42 am

I totally hear you on the whole apple thing! However, there is a super easy fix! Just sprinkle some lemon or lime juice on the apples after they are sliced. For some reason, the juice helps keep the apples from browning (maybe it’s the acidity of the juice?). Either way, it would save you from bringing your apple slicer with you to work!

And Eat Pray Love is AMAZING. One of my favorite books ever.

24 Nicole July 9, 2010 at 10:44 am

That is one of my very favorite books. I felt the exact same way when I read about the pizza. I can’t wait to see the movie!

25 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) July 9, 2010 at 10:54 am

Have fun in Miami! Eat Pray Love is a great book, she definitely had me drooling over her food descriptions in Italy. Enjoy it!

26 Allie July 9, 2010 at 10:54 am

i really hate swimming too, and i am a runner so it’s weird how the solitariness of running doesn’t translate to swimming. i just can’t get into it. i do LOVE to shower though. you really cracked me up with your shower-hating!

i have read eat pray love twice. i really enjoyed it. i read it the first time right after i got divorced and a lot of it spoke to me in a very raw and emotional way. i picked it up again a year later and still enjoyed it. i typically enjoy books more than movies though.

27 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife July 9, 2010 at 10:58 am

Oh man. Someday I’d love to train for a sprint tri… but I don’t even know how to swim properly. I would love to learn though!!

Eat Pray Love was great, I loved it 😉 I need to jump on the audio book train… I commute so much it would be worth it to invest!!

28 missyrayn July 9, 2010 at 11:04 am

I’m the same way with book/movie connections. I want to see what they left out.

I hate showers at the pool. There is just not as much room as in my own shower. But I get to the pool because my legs can’t handle the running right now.

29 Sarah for Real July 9, 2010 at 11:14 am

I was JUST looking at audiobooks online for my long drive this weekend and was shocked at how expensive they are! iTunes was the worst, amazon a little better, but both of them were way more expensive than getting the actual book. WTF? I ended up getting a really old, abridged Michael Crichton, haha.

I have to say I love swimming and wish I had a gym membership so I could go. I took a lap swimming class in college and the instructor made up all these workouts where you’d switch activities almost every other lap it seemed! I copied down a bunch onto index cards if you are interested I could scan a few and email them? They really make the workouts more fun because you are switching things up all the time.

30 rachael July 9, 2010 at 11:15 am

I LOVED that book! It will make for a great ride.

31 Melissa @ For the Love of Health July 9, 2010 at 11:17 am

I really need to start swimming too!
Good for you for going even though you don’t feel like it!
That’s also a great idea with the apple slicer! Only a foodie would think of adjusting the apple to fit it into the slicer hehehe

32 jessica g July 9, 2010 at 11:20 am

i am reading that right now! i just finished the section on italy and am now half way through the portion on india. love love love it so far.

33 Michelle C. July 9, 2010 at 11:53 am

I’ve actually eaten at that pizza place in Naples and let me tell you…IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING PIZZA EVER! If you do get to Italy it is definitely a must to try. When I got back from my study abroad in Italy, I read that section of the book over again just to relive that moment, amazing.

34 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. July 9, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Definitely one of my favorite books! I would love to take a year to do something like that!

35 Raya @ Raya Runs July 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Ahhh, I read Eat Pray Love a few years ago and it has definitely become one of my top 5 fave books ever!!!

And that pizza scene left me drooooooling, literally, for real italian pizza. Also, where she eats olives and cheese on the floor of her little apartment, right after reading that I had to go and make myself a little cheese plate. Easily influenced? Only when it comes to food!!! Haha

36 Kelocity July 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm

haha I hate taking showers too. Actually, I think I really just hate drying my hair. If I didn’t have to do that, I’d be happy. Congrats on the swim though. I’m impressed.

37 pursuitofhealthfulness July 9, 2010 at 12:42 pm

You described my sentiments about swimming so perfectly! I can take open water any day, but laps in a pool is pure torture!

38 Adriana July 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm

1. I LOVED Eat, Pray, Love.

2. Have you considered getting some type of underwater headphones? I think you can get something decent for around $100 on sites like Amazon or eBay. I’m a swimmer and I get bored easily so I’ve been thinking about investing in some kind of underwater music system. I’ve heard good things! Anyway, just an idea to make swimming more fun 🙂

39 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I’m the same way with movies! I just started reading Eat, Pray, Love and it’s so good! And I just saw Eclipse and am reading the book again.. the movie left so much out!

40 Tay July 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I totally know what you mean about not wanting to get in the pool by yourself. Especially in the morning. I always need a coach to motivate me. As for the boring aspect of it, try finding different swim workouts online with different set lengths, speeds, etc. When you have 5 x 200 free, it goes by so much faster than just 1000 free for example!

41 Katie July 9, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Eat Pray Love is my all time FAVORITE book!! I’ve read it multiple times and can’t wait to see the movie! I hope they stayed true to the book when making the movie, because it is absolutely perfect! 🙂

42 Tracy July 9, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I feel the same way about swimming! I really really WANT to like it!

Eat Pray Love was one of my very favorite books. I’ve read it twice and could read it again!!

43 Miranda @ MirandaJeans July 9, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I love Royal Gala Apples for the simple reason that you can slice them the night before and they hardly look brown at all. I would say that even after 12 hours of having been sliced they look like a Mac would look 10 minues after being sliced. Plus gala’s are almost always so nice and crisp.

44 Monica C. July 9, 2010 at 1:44 pm

This is kind of funny, coming from me, a total nonswimmer (seriously – I took lessons at my kids’ swim school this summer), but maybe if you do a quick – but sweaty – run before going into the pool in the morning, you would like it better? I know that for me, when I feel like I’m on fire and I am covered in sweat during a run, I visualize myself jumping into a nice cool pool, and it’s great (never mid that if I really did that, I would drown).

45 carolinebee July 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I used to swim for work outs too, but i agree it’s SO boring! Dang too bad they don’t make a waterproof Ipod that would def change my mind 😀

46 Jess- The Semi Abnormal Gal July 9, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I’m actually reading Eat, Love, Pray right now too. I just started the second section (India) and it’s dragging more than Italy did. I have heard lots of mixed reviews on it, so I was more than ready to get my own opinions going, especially after a friend loaned it to me.

47 Lauren @ Running Examiner July 9, 2010 at 3:43 pm

hahaha I love your full disclosure about your hatred of showering. I HATE washing my hair. It takes way too damn long. But still…I do it. All in the name of vanity 🙂

Glad you’re enjoying “Eat, Pray, Love.” I adored the section set in Italy, but agree with other posters that the other ones paled in comparison. The book sort of stopped being…believable to me. A little to clean-cut and perfect. Still, I think Elizabeth Gilbert is a great writer. Her short story collection is fantastic.

48 Ellen July 9, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I love that book, and i’ve BEEN to that pizzeria in Naples! It’s called Da Michele, and it really is that amazing. this is my post about it: http://ellenp1214.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/true-love/

49 Amy July 9, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I’m the same way with books. I have “Eat, Pray, Love” but haven’t read it yet. I think it’s the next one on my list now. 🙂 Have fun in Miami!!

50 dmcgirl37 July 9, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I LOVE eat pray love 🙂 such a great book!
Enjoy your trip!

Dana xo

51 Amanda July 9, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Soo it’s totally refreshing to hear that I’m not the only one who dreads showering. For real. I do it at night so that I can psyche myself up for it haha.

52 Chasing the Now July 10, 2010 at 2:19 am

Just picked it up yesterday at the library. Can’t wait to read it.