My First Headstand

by Meghann on July 7, 2010

I can not tell you how good it felt to return to Hot Yoga tonight. After taking a week off due to traveling and the holiday weekend, my body was begging to twist and turn in a pool of sweat tonight.

We had a different teacher at class and she wasted no time getting straight to work. The class was fast paced and unpredictable. I particularly enjoyed how she taught us to stay in the moment by having us take a moment and listen for the next pose instead of faling into routine.

I was inspired by the class and even attempted my first headstand towards the end. I was able to get my knees up, but I couldn’t quite figure out how to straighten my legs in the air. Baby steps…. baby steps… πŸ˜‰

Before class I fueled up with carrots and almond butter.

mmm…

The roasted fig & arugula salad I had originally planned for lunch made one kick ass dinner.

Have you ever seen anything more beautiful? I think this has to be one of my favorite salad creations ever. I mean – arugula, roasted figs, ricotta cheese, balsalmic vinegar, a drizzle of honey, how could it go wrong?

I halved the figs and roasted them in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes. The figs made a great addition to the mix of arugula, tomato, chick peas, & mushrooms I had prepared and then topped with a mix of ricotta cheese, honey, craisins, and balsamic vinegar. The whole combination have a great sweet and savory factor to it. The figs and ricotta were sweet and creamy while the peppery arugula was crisp and spicy. The perfect balance of flavors in every bite.

On the side a 1/3 of Whole Foods Cornbread.

And for dessert some cherries and chocolate.

I really missed that feeling I have after hot yoga. Literally my whole body feels like it was just given a massage. I really need to step it back up to attending at least two classes a week. I think the price tag will be worth it in the end. πŸ™‚

Now, i think Maddie is begging to be cuddled with.

Good Night!!

1 Jenny July 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

That massage-y feeling makes me want to go back to yoga! I need a late night sesh so I can fall right asleep:)

2 poiseinparma July 7, 2010 at 9:30 pm

That’s it. I’m going to yoga Saturday morning. That feeling you are talking about… I know exactly what you mean. I miss that feeling. Thanks for the kick in the pants!

3 missyrayn July 7, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Getting back to a great workout after some time off is so much fun πŸ™‚

And I’m loving all your fig recipes since I have some I need to use up.

4 Marisa (Loser for Life) July 7, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Wow, that is one amazing looking salad!

5 kaztronomic July 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

You make yoga sound so appealing! πŸ˜€

Wow, that salad looks amazing. Yum!

6 Ash Bear July 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I love that we have the same cross training for marathon training: swim and yoga! πŸ™‚ We’ll DEFINITELY grab a class or two while you’re here. I’ve been planning and scheming all day!! Ahh so excited!

7 Natalie @ Keep It Sassy July 7, 2010 at 9:55 pm

No lie, the first time I attempted to do a headstand during yoga I somehow forgot to hold myself up with my arms and I landed right on my head. Two thumbs up for a concussion! haha I think I like your method better…baby steps!

That salad looks great, too. πŸ™‚

8 Rachael July 7, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Mmmmm, those figs look amazing. Fresh figs are definitely one of my top five favorite foods..
I’m missing hot yoga lately – it’s been a little over a month, which is the longest I’ve gone in awhile…being on the road, in a different city every week, has made it hard to keep to my old routine. I am, however, rediscovering the joys of running.

9 theprocessofhealing July 7, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Oh gosh, that salad sounds AMAZING!

10 runningwithsass July 7, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I am jealous of your yoga! I ahve always wanted to do it more but my gym is like an expres gym, and I cant afford a yoga studio. someday!

11 Nicole July 7, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Woah figs! I think you just inspired me to try a fig for the first time. Gracias amiga, I love trying new fruits + veggies. And that salad looks gorgeous!

Have a great week!

12 La Historiadora de Moda July 7, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I love yoga so much! I think when I stop running so much in the winter I’m going to try to go to class 4+ times a week. I can only do headstand against a wall. It’s a pretty challenging pose for me.

13 Dori July 7, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I feel like I haven’t commented in awhile. Let’s see, yoga sounds amazing, dinner looks delicious and congratulations on being on your way to a headstand! I don’t think I will ever be able to, but it is fun to practice in class with my legs against wall!

14 Emilyeatsclean July 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I took yoga last night and loved it! I don’t get to take it very consistently due to my chaotic work schedule. I love getting my stretch on though! And your salad looks ahh-mazing!!

15 Samantha Angela July 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Ooh congrats. I’m very far away from doing a headstand. I don’t practice as much as a could though.

16 Meg July 7, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I am LOVING that dinner! Once I grab some fresh figs I am totally making it πŸ˜‰

17 Miranda @ MirandaJeans July 7, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Tighten your core, it will help keep your posture straight which will allow you to balance more and get your legs right up there. And I mean tight. When you have your knees up, tightten, and then tightten again, and then finally tightten some more. This has helped me get into headstand pose in the past.

18 thefitbridesmaid July 7, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Mmmm that sounds so good! I should be adventurous and try new produce! Congrats on the headstand (almost).

19 Molly @fuelherup July 7, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Ahhh! I remember the first time I hit a headstand…once you do it once you never stop! I even hopped up into one at a restaurant (upon request lol)

20 fitandfortysomething July 8, 2010 at 12:26 am

Congrats on the headstand! Or almost πŸ™‚

21 newleafeats July 8, 2010 at 12:49 am

Your salad looks great!

I love that you have dessert every night. I think that’s a major misunderstanding about healthy eating–the idea that if you eat healthy, you can’t eat dessert. But really, according to whom?? Who says you can’t eat dessert every night and still eat and live healthily??

22 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 8, 2010 at 1:56 am

I LOVE the feeling after hot yoga, you really can’t get it anywhere else! I’m impressed that you even attempted headstand. I’m not quite there…yet! πŸ™‚

23 Marina July 8, 2010 at 6:49 am

I would love to try hot yoga, but headstand not so much! I am too scared to try it!
I need to try roasting some figs, but they are so good just raw… πŸ™‚

24 Katherine: What About Summer? July 8, 2010 at 7:38 am

I have always wondered how to eat fig!

25 Brynne July 8, 2010 at 8:03 am

Getting into headstand is my new goal for 2010 – congrats on getting so far into the pose!

And THANK YOU for that roasted fig salad. I’m alllll over it!

26 Brittany July 8, 2010 at 8:07 am

Wow. Your roasted fig salad sounds amazing lady. Isaac’s parents have a fig tree so once they are ripe I’m going to snag a few and make it. πŸ™‚

27 Lisa July 8, 2010 at 8:23 am

Yum, that salad looks amazing! I’ve added spin classes into my cardio mix. Love mixing it up.

28 ragazzasana July 8, 2010 at 8:25 am

That roasted Fig Salad looks sooo good..

29 kirsten July 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

ahhh I always have such food envy for your dinners! πŸ™‚

30 mayapamela July 8, 2010 at 8:45 am

Fresh figs are one of my favorite fruits. I love them so. Fresh figs are delicious with cheese, so that sounds like one killer salad!

I think one of the biggest components of a headstand is faith. I’m kind of afraid to just kick my legs on back there. It feels very unsettling, and I think you have to trust that you will stay up in the air, and even if you do topple over, you’re in a safe environment to do so. Good luck!

31 Marissa July 8, 2010 at 10:04 am

Headstands hurt so bad! Hahah. I love handstands though. We always used to have handstand holding contests at gym practice. I think I only won like 2 out of a billion… hahah. Its weird. Sometimes I’ll just get stuck up there and I’ll hold it for like 3 or 4 minutes. Then sometimes I’m down within 10 seconds. Weird.

32 Sarah July 8, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Ooh, the headstand! One of my big goals in yoga is to be able to do an unsupported one. Sounds like you’re on your way!