Sweet & Delicious

by Meghann on July 6, 2010

I have a slight obsession with fresh fruit at the moment.

If you could peek into my fridge you would see watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, apples, strawberries, mangos, blueberries, raspberries, figs, and cherries! Gotta love fresh fruit in the summer time. πŸ™‚

Cherries are particularly extra sweet and delicious at the moment. I had a container overflowing with sweet cherries and a cheese stick as my snack this morning. πŸ™‚

IMG_1352

Side note: I have some fresh figs I picked up at the store, but no idea what to do with them. Anyone have any fun, easy ideas for a dessert I can whip up tonight with the figs?!?!

As my fridge is full of fruit, I had to dig into the freezer for lunch.

IMG_1354

I re-heated my last bowl of Potato Leek Soup and topped it with two left over crab cakes from Sunday’s fish Fry.

IMG_1357

The soup defrosted a little on the thin side, but the crab cakes made up for it by adding a great meaty texture to the dish.

IMG_1362

On the side: a slice of corn bread from Whole Foods.

IMG_1364

πŸ™‚

Race Recaps

You may have noticed that I added an organized Race Recaps page to the blog. If you have a minute please feel free to check it out, you’ll also find my training plans and race videos on there! :)

1 Evan Thomas July 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm

This is my favorite thing to make with fresh figs: http://www.foodmakesfunfuel.com/recipes/fig-and-almond-blondies/

You could also try just reducing them in a sauce pan with sugar and water and putting that over cold ice cream

2 Courtney @ Three Months July 6, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Oh goodness…I’m quite obsessed with fresh fruit also! Gotta love summer! πŸ™‚

3 Jenny July 6, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Yummy! I love that cornbread!

4 kaztronomic July 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I love to eat fresh figs straight up. They’re very mild in sweetness and taste so good. Yum.

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 6, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I can’t waste figs on cooking or baking. I have to eat them fresh!!

I do love me some fig jam though.

6 brandi July 6, 2010 at 2:00 pm

If you still have ricotta, halve the figs, spoon in some ricotta mixed with vanilla, and top with a drizzle of honey.

You could also grill the figs first or roast them before filling and eating.

7 Jacquie July 6, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I was just about to say this too! It’s my favorite way for sure.

8 hundredtenpounds July 6, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Those crabcakes look tasty! Do you have a recipe?

9 britchickruns July 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Lol I thought that corn bread was a slice of tiramisu for a minute πŸ˜›
Fig wise – fresh ones are lovely baked in the oven,then drizzled with honey/agave/date syrup, cinnamon etc..SO good!!

10 Karla July 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I like fresh figs plain. But you can also marinate them in some balsamic vinegar and sugar and roast them.
4 figs quartered + 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar + 1 tbsp sugar, macerate 20 mins then roast about 20 minutes. Serve over vanilla ice cream, or frozen yogurt. Deeeelish!

11 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy July 6, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Soup when it’s that hot outside? You got me sweating just looking at it heheheh πŸ™‚

12 Amelia July 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I love figs by themselves! However, if you want to do something with them….
Figs stuffed with goat cheese, drizzled in honey and sprinkled with crushed walnuts.
Figs poached in Reisling over vanilla ice cream.
Figs in an almond tart shell with fresh whipped cream (I used the tart shell recipe from Clean Food).

13 newleafeats July 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I’m so jealous about the figs! I can’t ever find fresh figs here! I’m lucky that I was able to find dried figs at my grocery store…

14 The Linz July 6, 2010 at 2:53 pm

YAY Figs! My brother brought some over this weekend and they were delicious! He just cut them in half and dipped them in white chocolate. I am not really a fan of white chocolate but the taste of both together was unreal.

15 Brynne July 6, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I just bought figs too! I’m planning to make a yogurt mess with them :0) But maybe for dessert on top of some ice cream with almond butter?

16 Avryan July 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Stuff the figs with goat cheese, drizzle on some honey and balsamic vinegar (or either one) and add a sprinkle of pistachios and toss them under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese starts to bubble. delicious. You can also wrap them with pancetta and do the same thing for a more savory side

17 missyrayn July 6, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I love fresh fruit in the summer. It never lasts in my fridge. I need to actually go buy more πŸ™‚

18 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Mmmm I love crabcakes!!

19 Ariffa July 6, 2010 at 3:51 pm

figs+ricotta+honey
=)

20 Lindsey @ Sound Eats July 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I’ve never tasted a fresh fig before, but do you think you could do some sort of fig-brulee with it? Like sprinkle a touch of sugar on top of the fig halves and broil a couple minutes? Maybe serve with some honey and/or mint-spiked ricotta?

Ok, I need fresh figs to play with now!!

21 Marina July 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I adore fresh figs on their own, I could eat them all day long.
Once I tried a pizza, it had 4 types of cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh figs. it was an amazing combo!

22 AprilBRuns July 6, 2010 at 4:32 pm

For the figs, try this:

Slice figs in half.
Cover each half with a small amount of blue cheese or feta.
Broil in toaster oven for a few minutes.
Remove from oven and drizzle with honey.

So.delicious! I’ve been buying figs for the past few weeks at the grocery store and tried this and it’s simple and so yummy! I <3 fresh figs.
Another suggestion is a fig and goat cheese pizza…also super good.

23 Kelly July 6, 2010 at 4:39 pm

cornbread and me are BFF’s….looks delicious!

24 Shannon July 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm

cut figs in half, top with goat cheese, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, warm in oven. absolutely delicious πŸ™‚

25 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 6, 2010 at 5:36 pm

You could try caramelising the figs – or making fig jam πŸ™‚

26 emilydianne July 6, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Cherries are the BEST right now! My suggestion for fresh fruit: peaches and blackberries! They are always in my fridge during the summer πŸ™‚

27 carolinebee July 6, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Fun weekend Meghann!! I’m going home in about 2 weeks and I can’t wait for some home cooking, fro yo and Mexican food πŸ˜€ Fresh fruit is actually reallllyyy expensive in Boston, i guess it’s all shipped from Florida/CA?? My girlfriend went to buy cherries at a little market in our neighborhood…and the lady goes, “You know those are $18 right?” Hahahha needless to say she passed on the cherries!

28 gavrielski July 6, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I’m obsessed with summer fruit too–especially apricots, peaches, and melon. So delicious! I have tried baking figs and it makes them a little sweeter. Enjoy your fruit!

29 Katherine: What About Summer? July 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

ah that crab cake in soup is such a good idea

30 theprocessofhealing July 6, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Whole Foods has the BEST cornbread! And I’m so all over summer fruits and veggies. Peaches are my favorite probably…

31 Natalie Rae July 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm

So funny- Your first picture is exactly what I brought to work today πŸ™‚